Hi Flow Cats Install questions

Hello all, so I got my Belanger hiflow cats from Jon @ Partsrack. Everything looks great! I uninstalled the old cat and have a few questions on the reassembly below.

1) How tight should I get the new V-band clamp? As tight as it will go?

2) If I tighten the brass spacer and crush washer for the O2 sensor too much, it positions the sensor in a terrible position. If I have it 1/4 turn past hand tight it seems to fit fine. Any suggestions on the correct way?

Otherwise everything has gone pretty smooth. Waiting on your replies so I can button up the passenger side and move to the drivers side.
    2016 Viper GT - Gunmetal Pearl

What do you mean by bad position
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    What do you mean by bad position
    If I tighten it too tight it will put the sensor vertical and the wire end is very close to the frame of the car. If I loosen it a bit then the elbow points toward the middle of the car and has space. Just not as tight.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    For the O2 sensor spacer, you either need to find some additional thin crush washers to space it out, or you'll need to sand what you have until the orientation is the way you need it.

What you don't want is for it to be too loose...if there's an air leak, the O2 sensor will not register the correct readings. It probably won't matter since I'm pretty sure the spacers are just for the downstream O2 sensors. Thinking about it a bit more, a small leak might not be a bad thing, but exhaust leaks sound like shit.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    For the O2 sensor spacer, you either need to find some additional thin crush washers to space it out, or you'll need to sand what you have until the orientation is the way you need it.

What you don't want is for it to be too loose...if there's an air leak, the O2 sensor will not register the correct readings. It probably won't matter since I'm pretty sure the spacers are just for the downstream O2 sensors. Thinking about it a bit more, a small leak might not be a bad thing, but exhaust leaks sound like shit.
    It’s pretty tight, I mean, if I really crank it down it’s in a bad position. I think the way I have it now is adequate.

I used Permatex high temp thread sealant. I have used this on many different application (as well as my 90 degree o2 spacers) it works great. Get it in the position that you would like as tight as you can and let it set over night. Will not move,does not need to be cranked down

Amazon.com: Permatex 59235 High Temperature Thread Sealant, 50 ml Tube: Automotive
    2014 TA orange #55

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    As above

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Alabama/Tennessee
    good info here on V band clamps..

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...rts-solutions/
    2017 GTS Competition Blue
    1998 RT/10 Silver 6.5 Roe S/C, 1.7 HS RR's, Roe Hi-Flow Cats, B & B Headers/3" exhaust, 3.33, Eibachs, SRT front brake upgrade, Toms 40mm rear upgrade .....

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    You don't need that O2 spacer. I've been running these same Hi flow cats for a couple years and it doesn't throw codes.

Same problem. I installed them without it and it was fine. Figured I can mess with it later if it became a problem.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded &2011 Lexus GX460: Daily

I ended up putting the spacers in. Everything runs great with no issues so far. Sounds exactly how the car should have from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA96 View Post
    I ended up putting the spacers in. Everything runs great with no issues so far. Sounds exactly how the car should have from the factory.
    Yup. It's shocking how much better it is with just one cat instead of two (restrictive) cats bouncing sound all over and making a "messy" sound.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded &2011 Lexus GX460: Daily