VOA Member
    since 2021
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

Beating the dead horse Newbie needs 3 55 rear end help

looking to upgrade my stock rear to a 3:55 setup. I've searched and searched but nothing is very recent on this. Where is the best place to buy, what's all needed? I want to upgrade before I run into an issue.

2006 srt-10 built engine making 600rwhp.
    2006 SRT-10 VIPER GTS BLUE PEARL. N/A build forged bottom end Greg Good top end and cam.

I would source a complete rear differential from either Shwarf Automotive or X2 Builders out of a Gen V, and do a complete swap. I did this a couple of years ago. I think all in, I had $1800 in it.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    looking to upgrade my stock rear to a 3:55 setup. I've searched and searched but nothing is very recent on this. Where is the best place to buy, what's all needed? I want to upgrade before I run into an issue.

2006 srt-10 built engine making 600rwhp.

Miles on, and Driving Venues Matter

JonB@PartsRack.com
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Miles on, and Driving Venues Matter

JonB@PartsRack.com
    I plan on only having fun on the street with it. No tracking. If at all maybe a trip to the drag strip but highly unlikely with this car. Mainly street pulls. I don't want to worry about hurting it. its currently on drag radials. and will always have some type of drag radial on it.
    2006 SRT-10 VIPER GTS BLUE PEARL. N/A build forged bottom end Greg Good top end and cam.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I would source a complete rear differential from either Shwarf Automotive or X2 Builders out of a Gen V, and do a complete swap. I did this a couple of years ago. I think all in, I had $1800 in it.
    This would be the best bet (and probably the most cost effective), but they are becoming hard to find.

The main issue is the stock Gen III Hydra-Lok differential - they were not known for their strength, and with 600 RWHP and drag radials it might be on borrowed time. If you get a complete drop-in Gen 5 unit, it'll come with the stronger Visco-Lok already installed. If not, you have to decide how much you want to spend, as there are many options. For what you describe, I'd guess a Wavetrac would fit the bill nicely, and would be plenty strong for anything you'd throw at it.

If you rebuild your existing housing you'll need:

1. New ring and pinion
    2. New bearings
    3. New everything else (seals, crush sleeve, fasteners, etc.) - all that stuff would come in a standard rebuild kit

If you get a Wavetrac, that should come with the new stub axles you'll need that are specific to that differential.

If you stick with your existing Hydra-Lok differential, you'll just reuse your existing stub axles.

If you get a Gen 5 unit, you'll have to source Gen 4 stub axles, as the Gen 5 ones won't work with your existing axles.

Having trouble removing your stub axles? Look here: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...n-4-Stub-Axles

I did a rundown of differential options here that might also be useful: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post433200
    Last edited by Steve M; 04-29-2021 at 06:39 PM.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Good info. I'm also looking into this for a better seat-of-the-pants feel.

Mine feels a bit sluggish compared to other cars I've owned despite being quicker. I typically do a 60-110 mph timed run on video to compare different cars I've owned since it takes launches and low speed traction out of the equation. The Viper is over a full second faster than my daily driver and my previous fun car, but it often doesn't feel that way. I have a feeling that it's the long gearing.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Thanks for all that info. I haven't seen anyone selling a gen 5 setup recently. so ill probably look at rebuilding mine with the Wavetrac. ands 3:55 gears. looks like they have gone up in price like everything else. many posted about getting all the parts for less than $1500 looks like its closer to $2500 now. plus the install.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Thanks for all that info. I haven't seen anyone selling a gen 5 setup recently. so ill probably look at rebuilding mine with the Wavetrac. ands 3:55 gears. looks like they have gone up in price like everything else. many posted about getting all the parts for less than $1500 looks like its closer to $2500 now. plus the install.
    Correct on the price...it was cheapest when they were liquidating parts at the end of the Gen 5 production run. Since then the supply has gone down, and the price has gone up accordingly.

If you end up going the "piece it together" route, just make sure that whoever sets up the gears has done it many, many times before. It's one of those things that if you don't get it just right the first time, you'll have to do it all over again unless you enjoy listening to gear whine. If you don't know where to start looking for someone to do the work, I'd recommend looking in to an off road shop that deals with Jeeps. The chances are pretty good that they'll have set up many Dana 44s in their time...the Viper rear should be even easier for them since you can set it up outside of the vehicle.

Either way, I think you'll like the end result...3.55s are a great choice for street driving.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Member
    since 2021
    What else would I need to make this one work? I know they came with 3:55's with the gen 5's. gen 4 axle stubs?

VOA Member
    since 2021
    May be a dumb question but this would work right?

https://www.eastcoastmoparts.com/oem...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

If that comes with everything in the picture, that's it.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio

Looks like it, but you'll need to pick up a set of Gen 4 stub axles to be able to install it in your Gen 3. All you have to do is pull the Gen 5 stubs, and tap the Gen 4 ones in place.

Not sure why, but this one looks cheaper: https://www.eastcoastmoparts.com/oem...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Gen 4 stub axle part numbers:

Right Stub Axle: 68027872AC
    Left Stub Axle: 68927873AC

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Looks like it, but you'll need to pick up a set of Gen 4 stub axles to be able to install it in your Gen 3. All you have to do is pull the Gen 5 stubs, and tap the Gen 4 ones in place.

Not sure why, but this one looks cheaper: https://www.eastcoastmoparts.com/oem...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Gen 4 stub axle part numbers:

Right Stub Axle: 68027872AC
    Left Stub Axle: 68927873AC
    that's even better thank you. ill probably go this route as I will not have to take it to a shop to do it. should be a direct swap out, other than the axle stubs.

that's even better thank you. ill probably go this route as I will not have to take it to a shop to do it. should be a direct swap out, other than the axle stubs.
    Super easy swap.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Hopefully they actually have one in stock, or can get one. A lot of these websites don't indicate actual inventory, even though it appears that you can order it.

Even if you do end up going with a shop for a gear swap, I'd still recommend dropping the differential housing yourself and just taking it to them...less temptation for them to go take it for a quick "test drive" either before or after the work is complete.

Since you'll end up removing the driveshaft during this process, you'll also need to replace the u-joint straps; Spicer part number 3-70-48x. The straps are a one-time use type of item.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Super easy swap.
    Sweet that's what I wanted to hear.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Super easy swap.
    Agreed.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Hopefully they actually have one in stock, or can get one. A lot of these websites don't indicate actual inventory, even though it appears that you can order it.

Even if you do end up going with a shop for a gear swap, I'd still recommend dropping the differential housing yourself and just taking it to them...less temptation for them to go take it for a quick "test drive" either before or after the work is complete.

Since you'll end up removing the driveshaft during this process, you'll also need to replace the u-joint straps; Spicer part number 3-70-48x. The straps are a one-time use type of item.
    Great information thank you. ill make sure to do that.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    One last thing, and I'll consider the horse thoroughly beaten...check out the last picture in this post:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post324178

You should be able to transfer over your existing o-ring and outer snap ring (circlip) from your Gen 3 stubs to the Gen 4 pieces. The o-ring isn't absolutely required, but the snap ring most certainly is since that is how the axle is retained.

If you wanted to get new outer snap rings, it is part number 05069009AA.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    One last thing, and I'll consider the horse thoroughly beaten...check out the last picture in this post:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post324178

You should be able to transfer over your existing o-ring and outer snap ring (circlip) from your Gen 3 stubs to the Gen 4 pieces. The o-ring isn't absolutely required, but the snap ring most certainly is since that is how the axle is retained.

If you wanted to get new outer snap rings, it is part number 05069009AA.
    wow that's perfect. thank you for all the help.