Thread: Shelby Viper

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Shelby Viper

I was watching a TV show on Motor Trend called Car fix. They did a story on a Gen 2 Viper that had been sitting for 5 years. At the end of the show they had a 1996 Shelby Viper. So I got out my book written by Maurice Liang 25 years of Hisssstory Viper. I could not find any information on the Shelby Viper. It seems like it should have been mentioned at least. Especially since Shelby was a big part of the development of the Viper. Just wondering.

I think they built around 25 of them on the Gen 1.5 RT/10 platform. No crosshair grilles. All were white with blue stripes. I can't recall any of the performance build specifics. Seems to me like they were up about 50-60 over stock.

At VOI 2 in Monterey, automotive publisher David E. Davis was riding in one that caught fire during the rolling coucours from a leaky injector.

Carrol Shelby's contributions to the Viper are a bit overinflated. He had his heart transplant during the Gen 1 development. He always thought they were too heavy, but acknowledged the huge challenge in bringing it to market on a shoestring budget in an extremely compressed time frame. Lee Iaccoca was his friend from the GT-40 and Mustang programs, respected his input and offered him the honor of Pacecar Driver for the 1991 Indy 500 in a handbuilt prototype.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper vince View Post
    I was watching a TV show on Motor Trend called Car fix. They did a story on a Gen 2 Viper that had been sitting for 5 years. At the end of the show they had a 1996 Shelby Viper. So I got out my book written by Maurice Liang 25 years of Hisssstory Viper. I could not find any information on the Shelby Viper. It seems like it should have been mentioned at least. Especially since Shelby was a big part of the development of the Viper. Just wondering.
    Shelby Vipers were post factory alterations and the exact completed number is at best..... a best guess.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    IIRC they made some black ones too. There was only one GTS done.
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    New England
    It was a collaboration between Shelby and Fitzgerald Dodge in NH, only made 19 (18 RTs and 1 GTS) The GTS was just sold this year at Mecum in FL. Original owner from up here in New England.

http://www.shelby-dodge.com/viper-rt_10cs.html

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...er%20completed.
    1999 GTS ACR - 1 of 30 Silver w/ blue stripes
    1998 GT2(GTS-R ) - #31 of 100
    New England Viper Owners Association

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    I always looked forward to stopping into FitzGerald's Dodge in the late 90's , they had some interesting Vipers on display .
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
    Shelby Vipers were post factory alterations and the exact completed number is at best..... a best guess.
    I read the article on the history and learned about these cars. I find it strange that Maurice Liang did not mention anything about these in his book.

I read the article on the history and learned about these cars. I find it strange that Maurice Liang did not mention anything about these in his book.
    I have not read Maurice’s book and maybe you can answer this. How many post factory commercial altered Vipers are addressed in his book.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJeff View Post
    I have not read Maurice’s book and maybe you can answer this. How many post factory commercial altered Vipers are addressed in his book.
    You bring up a very good point. I wonder why he left that information out ?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    I learned from the small contribution I made to the book that there are considerable jumps in production costs when you eclipse various thresholds of page count. Maurice had already gone over his initial target (partially thanks to me!) and if you include one non-production Viper where do you draw the line of what else to include? That's a pandora's box scenario to me. It was difficult enough to edit the text down to fit where it did. A lot happened over 25 years!
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore