Gen III Manual Transmission Fluid Change

2005 Viper Fill Plug Transmission.jpg
    2005 Transmission Drain Plug.jpg
    Amsoil 1.jpg
    Amsoil 2.jpg

I changed the Manual Transmission Fluid on my 2005.
    First time using AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 75W90 API GL-4
    Shifting is smoother. Nice surprise !!!!

Fill Plug 20 ft/lbs
    Drain Plug 28 ft/lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fhrzr1; 05-05-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    I've been using that for the last 15 years with good results .......

fhrzr1 where you located ???
    White Mamba ,

Cocoa, Florida

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by fhrzr1 View Post
    Cocoa, Florida
    Nice , I thought you might be closer ......
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    fhrzr1, glad you like your new fluid...being a GL-4, it should be a safe pick since MOPAR dropped their original fluid for this Viper.

FYI...the torque spec for YOUR transmission's drain plug is 28 ft-lbs.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    In an effort to be open, honest, and thorough...I am posting some info found on the VCA forum concerning the correct torque for the transmission drain plug as discussed above. fhrzr1 responded to my torque quote of 28 ft-lbs on his 2005 Viper with the following interesting information.

Since he is likely busy at present, I am quoting him below:

"The 2005 Dodge Viper Service manual torque value of 28 ft/lbs for the drain plug seem to be in error.
    All service manuals for the T-56 transmission including TREMEC T-56 Service Manual calls for a value of 20 ft/lbs. The fill plug is also 20 ft/lbs.

"1-1-5. CHANGING LUBRICANT. Proceed as follows:a.Wipe drain and fill plugs (1 and 2) and surrounding areas clean. Place suitable container under transmission. Remove drain plug (1).d.Remove fill plug (2).e. Allow all lubricant to drain.f.Install drain plug (1) and torque to 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m).g. Add lubricant through fill plug opening until lubricant just begins to drip back out of opening."
    I tighten the plug really snug by hand and using a wrench set to 20 ft/lbs
    the nut still turned a good way. It is plenty tight at 20 ft/lbs."

While I am not a mechanic, technician, or engineer...I am always interested in finding the correct answers to these questions. Therefore, I posted:

"Hello, fhrzr1, thanks for posting your interesting info on the T-56 drain plug torque spec.

I took this opportunity to review ALL of the Dodge Viper Service Manuals printed from 1992 through 2006 which I have in my garage...then I opened the Gen IV and Gen V Viper Service Manuals on CD:

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1992 and 1993 Vipers is listed as "25 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1994 through 2006 Vipers is listed as "28 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 2008 through 2017 Vipers is listed as "20 ft. lbs".

As you might expect, I have been going with the Dodge info on all of our Vipers for the past 25 years...so far, so good !!"

Best regards to ALL !!

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    And here I am having never torqued either the drain or fill plugs on the T-56 I used to own, or the TR-6060 I have now.

The major issue I see is that those plugs, especially the drain plug, don't go in dry.

Both are pipe threads, and as such should have sealant applied (either RTV or PTFE thread sealant - I've used both with the same result of zero leaks). That combined with the exposure to oil on the threads make me worry that you can over-torque them. I don't like the thought of over-torqueing a pipe thread since they are tapered...I don't think you could, but I could see a poorly cast piece of aluminum cracking if you really got after one.

I feel similarly about brake caliper banjo bolts...I used to torque those too until the day I pulled the threads out of one of my calipers on another vehicle. That was a LONG afternoon.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    In an effort to be open, honest, and thorough...I am posting some info found on the VCA forum concerning the correct torque for the transmission drain plug as discussed above. fhrzr1 responded to my torque quote of 28 ft-lbs on his 2005 Viper with the following interesting information.

Since he is likely busy at present, I am quoting him below:

"The 2005 Dodge Viper Service manual torque value of 28 ft/lbs for the drain plug seem to be in error.
    All service manuals for the T-56 transmission including TREMEC T-56 Service Manual calls for a value of 20 ft/lbs. The fill plug is also 20 ft/lbs.

"1-1-5. CHANGING LUBRICANT. Proceed as follows:a.Wipe drain and fill plugs (1 and 2) and surrounding areas clean. Place suitable container under transmission. Remove drain plug (1).d.Remove fill plug (2).e. Allow all lubricant to drain.f.Install drain plug (1) and torque to 20 lb. ft. (27 N.m).g. Add lubricant through fill plug opening until lubricant just begins to drip back out of opening."
    I tighten the plug really snug by hand and using a wrench set to 20 ft/lbs
    the nut still turned a good way. It is plenty tight at 20 ft/lbs."

While I am not a mechanic, technician, or engineer...I am always interested in finding the correct answers to these questions. Therefore, I posted:

"Hello, fhrzr1, thanks for posting your interesting info on the T-56 drain plug torque spec.

I took this opportunity to review ALL of the Dodge Viper Service Manuals printed from 1992 through 2006 which I have in my garage...then I opened the Gen IV and Gen V Viper Service Manuals on CD:

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1992 and 1993 Vipers is listed as "25 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 1994 through 2006 Vipers is listed as "28 ft. lbs".

Transmission Drain Plug torque spec for 2008 through 2017 Vipers is listed as "20 ft. lbs".

As you might expect, I have been going with the Dodge info on all of our Vipers for the past 25 years...so far, so good !!"

Best regards to ALL !!
    i DO STAND CORRECTED AND REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. THAT IS HOW WE LEARN !!!!! THANK YOU !!!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    And, as we discussed, I really did not know that the 92 and 93 Vipers had a slightly lower torque valve than the 94-06 Vipers. It's always good to learn more !! I really enjoyed our conversation!!

Nah go with the good and tight spec with some thread sealant on the plugs. Or the spec, your car do with what you want