Rubberized Coating on Interior Panels

I'm noticing some chipping on the panel behind the seats where the top layer of the coating is coming off. This is particularly noticeable in the area around the subwoofer. The layer underneath is more glossy than the matte top layer.

What are some recommendations to restore this coating? I'm not a big fan of painted interiors, but I'd be OK with re-painting a color similar to OEM if there's a method that's durable and will stick to this material.

Thank you.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Once it starts, it won't stop. It is a soft touch coating of some sort, but there doesn't appear to be a way to recreate the finish, at least not easily.

In order to properly repair it, you'll need to strip the entire panel, and then use a suitable spray paint (I prefer SEM products) to get the color to match the rest of the interior.

Some folks have suggested using Easy-Off oven cleaner to strip the coating, but I've never personally tried it. If you do, just try it on a small spot first to make sure it doesn't harm the plastic before dousing the rest of the panel.

Good luck...if someone else has a better idea, I'm all ears.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Mine is all scuffed up, I thought it was do to prior owners pulling the seat out. I guess this is normal? I thought about having it wrapped in another type of upholstery.

Thanks, Steve. I ordered SEM paint and associated prep products. I'll see how it goes.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

I tried acetone and it was too slow to take off the finish. I ended up using fine sand paper and finished w/#000 steel wool before painting. I used SEM 38363/sand free adhesion promoter and SEM 39143/trim black. It matches fairly well to adjacent pieces. I wanted to paint everything, but got lazy. It takes a good bit to get the stock coating sanded down.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubik View Post
    I tried acetone and it was too slow to take off the finish. I ended up using fine sand paper and finished w/#000 steel wool before painting. I used SEM 38363/sand free adhesion promoter and SEM 39143/trim black. It matches fairly well to adjacent pieces. I wanted to paint everything, but got lazy. It takes a good bit to get the stock coating sanded down.
    I ended up sanding the finish off of just the radio bezel when I did my double DIN install over the past winter, and it took FOREVER. I can't imagine doing a larger piece, especially one that you intend to paint. I took the "easy" way out by just doing a vinyl wrap, so the underlying finish didn't matter.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

The rubberized coating is definitely not fun to remove. Luckily, my random orbital sander came in handy for the vast majority. I did the gauge cutout bezels by hand and it was exhausting. I'm going to paint soon, so hopefully it was worth the effort.