VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida

Which aftermarket oil cooler are you using

My engine is stock Oil goes to 240 F in 4 or 5 laps. Sucks to do cool down laps. I need a bigger or more efficient Oil cooler. What do you suggest?
    Thanks
    Last edited by HUBBELL RACING; 05-18-2021 at 05:47 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    That's pretty typical from what I've read here and shouldn't be a problem. A lot of track guys are 240-255 or more on the oil. I believe there is a post here that had Dick Winkles' as saying the car is good to go 250-255 coolant temps. PCM will start to pull timing if it gets hotter I believe

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by HUBBELL RACING View Post
    My engine is stock she goes to 240 F in 4 or 5 laps. Sucks to do cool down laps. I need a bigger or more efficient oil cooler. What do you suggest?
    Thanks
    240F oil temp or water temp???

240-255F oil temp is pretty dang good

240-255F water is getting up there

The harder you run the motor, the more you have cooling from the oil. All that friction, windage and piston crown heat is tranferred to the oil. Water cools the top of the combustion chamber.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    On my Gen 2 I'm running this
    https://www.improvedracing.com/setra...il-cooler.html

I had to fabricate up two small brackets to attach to the cooler top tabs

Brackets attached to top tabs of oil cooler

As you can see there is still plenty of air flow to the A/C Rad and main radiator.
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 05-18-2021 at 06:24 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Thanks, can you do 20 or 30 minutes wide open throttle without oil going past 240 F ?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    240F oil temp or water temp???

240-255F oil temp is pretty dang good

240-255F water is getting up there
    My coach Eric Curran doesn’t want the oil above 240F. Do you sell a bigger or better oil cooler for the Gen 5 ?

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, can you do 20 or 30 minutes wide open throttle without oil going past 240 F ?
    To be really honest I have never been out that long, I do a fair bit of charity ride experience's on the UK Top Gear track, 3 laps, back in swap passengers then another 3 laps and so on. But staying out for a race might be different, saying that I have not had a problem with Oil, normally my issues are with coolant temp. I run 15w 50 Gulf racing oil fully synthetic.

Might be worth reaching out to Alex (Stardman) he does a lot of track time in his Gen V ACR.

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    My coach Eric Curran doesn’t want the oil above 240F. Do you sell a bigger or better oil cooler for the Gen 5 ?
    We do run larger oil coolers ( air to air) on some viper and other applications but we dont have a specific kit made up for viper with wet sump. If you run a good quality synthetic oil 240f is absolutely no problem. 300F is not un usual or a problem for some race motors. You need to have oil over 200F just to remove any moisture in oil. If your running 240F at speed on track for long sessions and temp comes back down on cool down lap or on your way back in your golden. If you still want to run an oil cooler I would suggest running setrab oil cooler and the plumbing you can make up with parts from summit, earls, goodridge and xrp. If you need any help or have questions you can always email us direct we are always glad to help martin@tkomotorsports.com

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, just looked at the front frame and radiators of the Gen V, its very different to a Gen 2 so you would have to fabricate up something to fit.
    Mark.

240°F is a bit of a low "hard" limit, imo - especially for a big liter V10. Personally, I consider ~240° to be an optimal oil temp on track in my GTI and my Cobalt (Eric actually raced Cobalts in the old Grand-Am Road Racing series back around 2006-2009ish) - very small engines by comparison though; not as much generated heat. 270° is where I start to ease up, but still really isn't that big of a deal. 300°+ is my personal redline - I know guys with Z06's that consider 270° to be "warmed up" and keep running hard up to around 300°; I think the C6 manual even says 320° is their upper limit.

If you're endurance racing or running really long sessions, it might be of more concern. 20-40 minute sessions; not that big of a deal. The higher temps affect the life span of the oil, so if you test/replace your oil at appropriate intervals, it's not really an issue.

As far as replacement, doing something similar to Fatboy would be easiest, and TKO's recommendations are spot on to what I've looked at doing, as well. You'll need to look at your stock unit, figure out some sizing options, and go from there. I honestly wouldn't expect huge gains to be made. I'm betting that the oil cooler isn't something Dodge/SRT cheaped out on, but if you can get something bigger in there, that should help just with the added capacity.
    2005 Cobalt SS || PT5557 @ 25 psi | E85 ||
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 59k miles ||
    1986 VW GTI || Lightweight Eyesore Track Car ||

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    Thanks guys

We do run larger oil coolers ( air to air) on some viper and other applications but we dont have a specific kit made up for viper with wet sump. If you run a good quality synthetic oil 240f is absolutely no problem. 300F is not un usual or a problem for some race motors. You need to have oil over 200F just to remove any moisture in oil. If your running 240F at speed on track for long sessions and temp comes back down on cool down lap or on your way back in your golden. If you still want to run an oil cooler I would suggest running setrab oil cooler and the plumbing you can make up with parts from summit, earls, goodridge and xrp. If you need any help or have questions you can always email us direct we are always glad to help martin@tkomotorsports.com
    Thanks for the great info as usual!
    2017 ACR-E
    2004 Lambo Murcielago -- Gated Manual, 2004 Challenge Stradale
    2018 991.2 GT3 -- Manual, 2019 Raptor

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    240 oil is low, I hit that pretty quick. Prefix says it's good to even up to 300*, but must change the oil frequently obviously.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

Enthusiast
    I think you might be confusing oil with water temps. At 240 water your gauge will flash red. I like to keep my coolant temperature around 225-232 max and honestly never look at oil.

You want oil around 260-280. 240 is like taking a jog around some back roads.
    2015 Viper SRT, 2019 Alfa 4C Spyder, 2018 Escalade ESV, 2018 Silverado 2500HD DMax, 2003 S2000 TT5 Trim, 1991 Beat, 2003 3772 Cruisers Yacht

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    No 240F is the oil temp. I use the app in the car & it’s on the screen in center of dash

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    No 240F is the oil temp. I use the app in the car & it’s on the screen in center of dash
    You are fine. If you really want to drop temps take your A/C out, the condenser blocks at least 50% of the radiator.
    Also, 160 thermostat. Otherwise you are starting out at 210* on the grid, 50* higher.
    I run 160* thermo and by the end of a session I'll still be 20* cooler than I would have been if I started the session at 210*
    These are the two biggest things you can do to drop oil/coolant temps. If you are running headers, wrap them, that's huge as well.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    FL summer is too hot for no AC. I’ve sweated my stuff off in enough races I want to be comfortable in practice at least LOL.
    I’ll swap the thermostat, thnx

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    FL summer is too hot for no AC. I’ve sweated my stuff off in enough races I want to be comfortable in practice at least LOL.
    I’ll swap the thermostat, thnx
    Amen!
    "sweated my stuff off" doesnt do it justice Hubbell. Us west coast guys when we race in florida summer heat best description is a blessed virgin mary sighting everytime. You would rather trade places with Papillon then get back in a car or crew

Amen!
    "sweated my stuff off" doesnt do it justice Hubbell. Us west coast guys when we race in florida summer heat best description is a blessed virgin mary sighting everytime. You would rather trade places with Papillon then get back in a car or crew
    I remember about a decade ago reading about Turner Motorsports cooking hamburgers on the passenger side floorboard during a race at Daytona.

EDIT: HA, found an article that talked about it.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...ttest-moments/

Back when Auberlen was racing for Turner in a BMW M6, the drivers were complaining how hot it was. To prove it, they wrapped up a piece of chicken in foil and set it down in the footwell, and grilled that baby up at 160 degrees. And yes, someone dined on it. Later, they tried it with a hamburger, with the same results. Turner's corporate overlords at BMW got wind of it and were none too pleased. "You cannot be using the car as a cooking device," Turner said, in his best German accent.
    And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TvsnKAxGY
    Last edited by usmcfieldmp; 05-21-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: LINKS
    2005 Cobalt SS || PT5557 @ 25 psi | E85 ||
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 59k miles ||
    1986 VW GTI || Lightweight Eyesore Track Car ||

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    South Florida
    Sebring in July is just an oven

Calvo is starting to develop parts for our race cars. He has a Radiator that consistently runs at 220 -230
    He just needs to know if you have Wet or Dry Sump.
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS - Sold
    2003 Comp Coupe FS - Sold