Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast
    I've been telling Az about the Stohr racecars, 800lbs race cars, can have an s1000rr motor all the way to a turbo s2000 engine.

https://www.dauntlessracing.com/products/stohr-wf1

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    I've gotta have doors! hehe.
    I wouldn't mind an Exige with a Honda K motor swapped in with turbos. Would be unbeatable.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

So after all our talk about LMP3, guess what shows up to the track yesterday?
    This little beauty.
    20210617_080159.jpg
    20210617_124908.jpg

Talked to the owner about it and the short of it is, its VERY doable as a track day car, assuming you know what you're getting into.
    Moderate running costs.
    The way it moved on track was UNREAL. It looked 'not of this earth'. I tried to follow it just to watch and the movements were unbelievable, it looked like it was defying the laws of physics. It wasn't just fast, it was unimaginably fast. I would try to follow it, he'd get around a turn ahead of me, and by the time I got to the turn he was GONE, no sight of him 3-4 corners ahead.
    Looks to be about the biggest reasonable adrenaline hit that I could imagine.

Little flyby video:
    https://streamable.com/kvvsdy
    2017 ACR-E
    2004 Lambo Murcielago -- Gated Manual, 2004 Challenge Stradale
    2018 991.2 GT3 -- Manual, 2019 Raptor

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonDan View Post
    So after all our talk about LMP3, guess what shows up to the track yesterday?
    This little beauty.

Talked to the owner about it and the short of it is, its VERY doable as a track day car, assuming you know what you're getting into.
    Moderate running costs.
    The way it moved on track was UNREAL. It looked 'not of this earth'. I tried to follow it just to watch and the movements were unbelievable, it looked like it was defying the laws of physics. It wasn't just fast, it was unimaginably fast. I would try to follow it, he'd get around a turn ahead of me, and by the time I got to the turn he was GONE, no sight of him 3-4 corners ahead.
    Looks to be about the biggest reasonable adrenaline hit that I could imagine.
    Sick! What times did he run? I think that was there when I was there on my practice day, but they were having issues

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Sick! What times did he run? I think that was there when I was there on my practice day, but they were having issues
    We were running the Chicane configuration all day, which I'm not sure how big of an impact it has on normal Ridge laptimes. I had my chrono with me but didn't think to time him unfortunately! I emailed him earlier today asking if he had any onboard footage of it at the Ridge, hopefully he has some.
    If I were to toss out a total guess, assuming normal Ridge config (no-chicane) it might be somewhere low-mid 1:30s, but that's a total guess, your car is the only reference point I have for a car in that time bracket, but the two cars go about getting that speed in totally different ways. I'll ask him.

It's a true expert's instrument. After watching its speeds all day, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the step up to that at this point. Next logical increment for me is the 991.1 Cup for a season, which is sharp and difficult to drive in its own way, but its darkside seems more understandable (be smooth with all inputs and the car will take care of you), whereas the downforce on the LMP car makes it seem like its playing with magic.
    After watching it though, I think that for my purposes and interests, the LMP3 car may just be my 'ultimate' track car, and is now on the medium-term hitlist.
    2017 ACR-E

Basically, I don't want to be this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQIQ-9ffW0

Though he's legitimately driving like he's drunk or something, even I can identify every mistake he's making on my first watch of the video.
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    We were running the Chicane configuration all day, which I'm not sure how big of an impact it has on normal Ridge laptimes. I had my chrono with me but didn't think to time him unfortunately! I emailed him earlier today asking if he had any onboard footage of it at the Ridge, hopefully he has some.
    If I were to toss out a total guess, assuming normal Ridge config (no-chicane) it might be somewhere low-mid 1:30s, but that's a total guess, your car is the only reference point I have for a car in that time bracket, but the two cars go about getting that speed in totally different ways. I'll ask him.

It's a true expert's instrument. After watching its speeds all day, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the step up to that at this point. Next logical increment for me is the 991.1 Cup for a season, which is sharp and difficult to drive in its own way, but its darkside seems more understandable (be smooth with all inputs and the car will take care of you), whereas the downforce on the LMP car makes it seem like its playing with magic.
    After watching it though, I think that for my purposes and interests, the LMP3 car may just be my 'ultimate' track car, and is now on the medium-term hitlist.
    I've chased all kinds of prototypes over the years and your description is perfect. It looks fake, like a cartoon. They can go through most turns 10-20mph faster than a door slammer.
    Even a bone stock Exige is crazy to follow through the turns. A 1900lb 220whp Exige was only 2 seconds slower than me at Chuckwalla and he was 2 classes down. If I didn't love Viper's so much, I'd build a Kswapped/turbo'd Exige and it would be unbeatable.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Northern California
    Interesting talk of the LMP3 as a track day toy, I'm kicking the idea around about shelving the ACR and moving to something in between and more manageable for me like the Radical RXC600R.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.11.03 AM.jpg
    I'm not sure how much reduction the running cost would be, given it's ~2500lbs, perhaps could stretch my tire consumption from 2-3 days to 6-8 days.
    Last edited by sharmut; 3 Days Ago at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    Interesting talk of the LMP3 as a track day toy, I'm kicking the idea around about shelving the ACR and moving to something in between and more manageable for me like the Radical RXC600R.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.11.03 AM.jpg
    I'm not sure how much reduction the running cost would be, given it's ~2500lbs, perhaps could stretch my tire consumption from 2-3 days to 6-8 days.
    I'd look at the new Superlite Aero.

http://www.superlitecars.com/aero

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    If you want cheap running costs, check out Nasa's spec racer the NP01- https://nasaprototype.com/
    It's fast and uses a stock Mazda 4 banger.

If you want cheap running costs, check out Nasa's spec racer the NP01- https://nasaprototype.com/
    It's fast and uses a stock Mazda 4 banger.
    Have you driven one? I didn't find them to be very fun.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Northern California
    I've seen several YouTube in-car videos of the radical SR10, which lead to question myself whether I truly want to work that hard to go fast. I suspect their low weight creates a high inertia rate, appearing like pogo sticks around each corner.
    Perhaps a target weight of 2300-2500 lbs would be a good compromise for my use case.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I'd look at the new Superlite Aero.

http://www.superlitecars.com/aero
    That's interesting, although it looks like a single seater. I'd like the option to have a coach ride along.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    No. Did it feel slow?

Even a bone stock Exige is crazy to follow through the turns. A 1900lb 220whp Exige was only 2 seconds slower than me at Chuckwalla and he was 2 classes down. If I didn't love Viper's so much, I'd build a Kswapped/turbo'd Exige and it would be unbeatable.
    That makes me feel a little better. I was quite surprised by an Exige on Tuesday at CMP which was much quicker than I expected. He was hard to get by and when I finally did he stayed with me much longer than I thought he would.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    Interesting talk of the LMP3 as a track day toy, I'm kicking the idea around about shelving the ACR and moving to something in between and more manageable for me like the Radical RXC600R. I've seen several YouTube in-car videos of the radical SR10, which lead to question myself whether I truly want to work that hard to go fast. I suspect their low weight creates a high inertia rate, appearing like pogo sticks around each corner. Perhaps a target weight of 2300-2500 lbs would be a good compromise for my use case.
    I've researched Radicals for a while now. The SR10 looks pretty amazing, but I have heard it is definitely not as easy to drive as the SR3RS which I have some seat time in. In fact, I was looking at an SR3 online this AM with only 18 hours on the chassis. Every time I track the Viper I have a good experience and enjoy myself, but I know that I would be really upset if I ever had an incident on track with that car which keeps me from really pushing. The question then becomes if I had a race car would I use it enough to warrant the purchase. I agree the RXC600R would be a great choice for a closed cockpit track weapon and you would have a reliable Ford 3.5L Ecoboost powerplant sitting behind you delivering 650 predictable/usable horsepower.
    Blake

2016 1 of 1 Viper GTC Prefix 9.0 Stroker Stage 2 Arrow

No. Did it feel slow?
    Incredibly slow. Very low excitement level for me anyways.

Enthusiast
    Yea that looks slow, it would probably be quick if it was in a sub 1000lb race car like the Stohr WF1 cars.

To me those cars look so sick, like an LMP car for under 100k. I was reading up on the winners from last year, they're powered by suzuki. Either a gsxr 1000 motor or most likely a hayabusa motor.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Incredibly slow. Very low excitement level for me anyways.
    It may not have felt exciting for you, but you do realize these are faster than the top TT1 Nasa cars? Meaning they'll annihilate most Viper's including stock Gen 5 ACR's. Acceleration may have not felt exciting, but once you learn the car and you are going 10-15mph faster through corners than a Viper, that is exciting, but in a whole new way.
    Look at local regions on https://www.nasaproracing.com/regions and look at track results and you will see some crazy lap times for the NP01's.

My favorite racing is when we’re all out there in similar cars with a driver I’m running neck and neck with.
    There’s pretty much no one here that could win a spec miata race or a pro level shifter kart race.

Fast cars are hard to drive at the limit and, quite frankly, no one here is within a county mile of “fast” relative to the capabilities of their own cars. It’s just comical to hear things like “I don’t want to race that class- it’s too slow and not exciting to me.”
    Last edited by Lawineer; 3 Days Ago at 11:43 PM.

As an update, the LMP3 car runs the Ridge, with Chicane, at 1:36. Driver told me he feels the car has another 2 seconds in it optimally.
    For reference, chicane adds about 6-8 seconds to the laptime in a 991.2 GT3RS with a pro driver. The LMP car is likely into the high 1:20s at the ridge without Chicane.
    Insanity!!
    2017 ACR-E

.... the downforce on the LMP car makes it seem like its playing with magic.
    Yessir!!! This is the way to go. You will have a blast, don't need to push it, and will be tearing up any track you visit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123