Water Pump Rebuild Services

Anyone used the Flying Dutchman service on a water pump? I kept my OEM pump when I removed it (was leaking out the weep hole) and put a Cardone Reman unit on the car. I'd really like to get my OE one rebuilt and put back on since I'm going to be digging into the car again. Just have more confidence in the impeller of my OE unit vs the Cardone one.

If no experience with this company but you know of someone that rebuilds them please let me know. I'd source a NOS unit but last I saw they were $400 and most didn't have a warranty with them anymore from sitting around so long.

Enthusiast
    There have been new pumps made since your car was built. They are not 25 year old stock sitting on a shelf lol. Also, they are about $180 for factory Mopar pumps. Not $400.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

I thought I heard that most of those $180 units people were getting were actually the reman units with the cheap plastic impellers. When I talked to Dan last week it didn't sound like they were readily available as he said I could also source a good used unit. If you have line of sight to a genuine good new Mopar unit please let me know.

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    As far as I'm aware all Gen II water pumps have plastic impellers? I have changed out 3 water pumps, 2 on my car due to bearing seal issues (leaking through the weep hole) and another on a friends car that had the melted impeller.

Being in the UK I have to take a gamble on water pumps, the first 2 I purchased were mopar pumps, both failed and because I purchased from mopar parts overstock their parts do not come with a guarantee.

The last pump I bought was from Rock Auto, not genuine mopar and it did come with a guarantee.

Mopar pump from a 2001 Viper
    IMG-20190831-WA0016.jpg

New pump
    IMG-20190831-WA0015.jpg

I believe the trouble started in '00 or '01 when they stopped using metal impellers.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

there is a company called FlowKooler that rebuilds waterpumps with a highflow impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    I believe the trouble started in '00 or '01 when they stopped using metal impellers.
    My recollection is the same.

That was my understanding as well. The Cardone unit I have on the car now was plastic and I may just stick with it but since I have the old one off my car and have 5-6 weeks until I get my gaskets to do my timing cover gasket change I figured now would be a good time to have this one rebuilt or source a good original pre-2000 Viper unit. I've seen the ones on the overstock sights but they are all the plastic impeller style and I was also assuming they actually don't have them since 90% of what I order through those venues gets canceled due to being actually out of stock.

Enthusiast
    they never used a metal impeller stock on factory gen2 water pumps, there was brown plastic and black plastic. 9/10 a1 rebuilds we had done failed, the impeller splits in the middle. because they basically melt a hex nut into a soft plastic.

Enthusiast
    My RockAuto replacement pump has been a solid replacement for years...to include withstanding mega amounts of belt tension from my old ROE systems...so much belt tension at 15 PSI of boost that it broke the front AC mounts. So to me at least the bearings they use can withstand some abuse.

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanLS.GEN2 View Post
    they never used a metal impeller stock on factory gen2 water pumps, there was brown plastic and black plastic. 9/10 a1 rebuilds we had done failed, the impeller splits in the middle. because they basically melt a hex nut into a soft plastic.
    Thanks Ryan, that was my understanding too.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    YUP. Different flimsy plastic impeller in 01-02. Overheat spike complaints at higher RPMS. TSB resulted

See, Old Guys can still have good recall.......
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 1 Week Ago at 02:04 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    YUP. Different flimsy plastic impeller in 01-02. Overheat spike complaints at higher RPMS. TSB resulted

See, Old Guys can still have good recall.......
    What was stated in the TSB? Ive got an ‘01 and its always in the back of my mind…
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com