Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    NY/CT

Have You Ever Taught Someone to Drive a Manual

Just saw something on the interwebs that Friday, July 16th is National Stick Shift Day.

Made me think of all the people that I've taught in the past; friends, relatives, exes, etc.

Who have you taught...on what vehicles...and any interesting stories to share?

I had a relative that retired from driving NYC buses years back and than starting doing driving instruction (like teenagers) as a part-time retired gig. A couple of years back, he contacted me and said one of his student's father just bought a new Porsche in manual. The father wanted to teach his wife how to drive, but didn't have the patience to do so himself. So he asked my relative, who thought of me, since I was into Vipers/racing.

I ended up teaching his wife how to drive over a couple of lessens. I ended up getting paid to beat up on the guy's Porsche and give my insight. Was definitely cool to see her progress...and it didn't hurt she was well put together

Last year, I got another call from the guy. This time he wanted me to teach his son how to drive a manual. When I showed up, the wife was driving the same Porsche, so at least she still retained my teaching. Same deal, got paid for something that wasn't really too much work for me. The son was so happy and excited and was asking me for some road racing class suggestions.

Was definitely a great feeling to teach...probably a lot easier teaching a stranger than a family/friend who will generally have less patience than paying strangers.
    Matt-
    2002 GTS - Graphite Metallic with Silver Stripes
    2017 Challenger Hellcat - Destroyer Grey
    2020 Ram 1500 - Billet Silver

NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Taught my Son on his Challenger SRT-8 6 speed (Plumb Crazy) that he bought. The best advice I gave him was to listen to the motor when taking off / shifting.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

VOA Member
    since 2021
    New England

i taught a lot of my friends in high school and college. The last person i taught was a friend on my old scat pack challenger. he picked it up quickly, but that was a very easy car to drive.
    Dave
    98 Viper GTS

Cars going to fuel injection, with the IAC valve, made learning to drive a stick much easier. It does a pretty good job of keeping the engine from stalling when starting from a stop.

I taught my sister on my '86 GTI. The torquey VR6 engine combined with only weighing 2100 lbs makes it super simple to learn on. That and the clutch pedal having a lot of feel to it.
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 60k miles ||

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS || 2002 Audi TT Quattro || 1986 Volkswagen GTI

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

Taught all 4 of my kids ... on a '77 Rabbit ... only non-Moper I have ever bought ...
    "No driver's license until you learn how to drive a stick."
    All learned in rapid fashion.
    One of the few times they listened 100% to the Old Man ...

I essentially learned how to drive a manual on a brand new Z06 I bought from a dealer here on Long Island. I had driven an old manual pick up truck with the gear shift on the steering column years before but was pretty rusty. I had them back it out of the prep area and point it towards the street. Best of all it was pouring rain on my 30 mile ride home. But I made it. Stalled it a few times tho if I recall.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    My dad taught me on his 99 ACR, I was 10. haha

I've taught multiple people over the years. The best was a customer that insisted on buying a 2008 GT500KR even though he hadn't driven a manual. Ended up burning up the clutch in 1200 miles. It had so many heat spots on the plates that it looked like it was blued titanium.

I learned on a '64 Jeep CJ-6.

My boys started on dirt bikes, so the Jeep was easier to pick up. My daughter had her heart set on an RX-8 6 speed that we bought. She had to follow me home in my truck while I drove her new car. Both my wife (former RX-7 girl) and I taught her, and made her do dead stop starts on a couple of steep hills around town with that little no-torque rotary. Lots of tears were shed, but she's on her 3rd stick car now. She's had a WRX turbo hatch with a built motor, and now drives a Ford RS Turbo with tasteful mods.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

I've taught all my kids and especially friends kids that just couldn't "get" the gas/feathering clutch coordination aspect. Super simple...find a very large empty parking lot. Once the driver is in position, I get on my knees in the passenger seat and lean over and put my hands on top of their knees. I can then push and pull on their knees so they can get the gas/clutch coordination down. Once they feel what it is suppose to be like, they always say the same thing, "now I understand what I'm suppose to do and feel". Best success story was teaching my friends daughter in his 2006 Ford GT since it was the only manual transmission car they owned and he felt it was important for her to know drive a stick in case of emergency. Dad and the daughter would end up in screaming matches and no success. Within 10 minute she was cruising up and down the parking lot in a $225k car.

Enthusiast
    Both my Daughter and Son learned on a Neon R/T we had leased. My Spouse already knew how as she had a Datsun 310 manual when we met many years ago. My Daughter just bought a manual Subaru Crosstrek so she could teach her Son. One of the key benefits beyond the obvious is it teaches the driver to be more aware of how everything works. Most young folks just hop in, pair their phone, and off they go.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe -- Sold moving toward a GEN V.
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    New Jersey

First time was a high school friend on my old Thunderbird SC. He got it down in a weekend, but there was a casualty in the 1-2 synchro. As a broke kid, I just lived with grinding gears or skipping 2nd gear. Couldn't afford to fix it. No regrets though.
    Currently, my wife is learning, on my 2013 GTS. She can get moving, shift gears, but not confident to go on real roads yet. So we get lots of stares in the big parking lot while practicing. If the clutch burns up, it's an excuse to upgrade lol.
    2013 GTS, Track Pack, Black/Silver
    Eat, Sleep and driveviper.com
    NJ VOA Facebook Group

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I've taught all my kids and especially friends kids that just couldn't "get" the gas/feathering clutch coordination aspect. Super simple...find a very large empty parking lot. Once the driver is in position, I get on my knees in the passenger seat and lean over and put my hands on top of their knees. I can then push and pull on their knees so they can get the gas/clutch coordination down. Once they feel what it is suppose to be like, they always say the same thing, "now I understand what I'm suppose to do and feel". Best success story was teaching my friends daughter in his 2006 Ford GT since it was the only manual transmission car they owned and he felt it was important for her to know drive a stick in case of emergency. Dad and the daughter would end up in screaming matches and no success. Within 10 minute she was cruising up and down the parking lot in a $225k car.
    I had to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    Currently, my wife is learning, on my 2013 GTS. She can get moving, shift gears, but not confident to go on real roads yet. So we get lots of stares in the big parking lot while practicing. If the clutch burns up, it's an excuse to upgrade lol.
    My GF can take off and get up to speed without a problem... it's the need to downshift when slowing down that gets her. A couple years ago we were in Arkansas coming back from Tail of the Dragon; she was driving my dieselgate Jetta on the interstate, took an off-ramp to get gas, and then got to the stop sign still in third gear. She started to take off. "You're still in third." But she's already started rolling and there's a car coming... so she just floors it. 350 ft-lbs of clutch burning torque. Needless to say, I drove the rest of the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I had to stop.
    LOL!
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 60k miles ||

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS || 2002 Audi TT Quattro || 1986 Volkswagen GTI

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I had to stop.
    Funny you mention that....maybe that is how I got the nickname Uncle Pervy.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Crossroads of America
    My wife downshifted from 5th to 2nd 10 minutes into our lesson. That was the end of our lesson.

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Taught my wife on my gen 2 viper.
    98 GTS (sold)
    14 GTS (sold)
    06 coupe (sold)
    17 GTC

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Arizona
    First car my son ever drove was my '93 Viper. Nothing is more scary than saying "You need to give it more gas when taking off" for a first time (Viper) driver.

And since all threads should have a pic ...

2009 Vert/Coupe Rear End. Intake/Head/Exhaust. 705 crank/614 Wheels. Custom Red Drivers Stripe. ACR Splitter. KW Shocks. Plastidipped 6 spokes.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    The older Gen vipers were actually an easy car to teach someone on. With the stiff clutch and massive amounts of torque, you can basically start off in the first 3 gears even without giving it much gas. They just "roll out" so it's tough to stall.

Now getting the ideal amount of clutch/gas pedal balance (depending on your goals) takes a newbie a little more practice. Scary if they floor it! lol!!!
    Last edited by RT SERPENT; 08-03-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    My 15 yr old grandson had just received his learners permit. Taught him to drive a new 7 speed c7 Corvette with about 1000 miles on it. After he mastered that, he practiced on my 93 Viper. I think he will always remember that time we had together.

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Carolinas
    Yep, all of my kids. None of their friends can even think about driving their cars.