Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clutch squeal from stop

I haven’t beat up the car much since having it but yesterday I decided to launch the car hard off a stop. As I was accelerating and engaging the clutch I notified a squealing sound. Any ideas?
    2016 Viper GT - Gunmetal Pearl

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Is the clutch stock, or aftermarket?

I wouldn't expect to hear squealing out of the stock clutch friction materials, unless maybe it has been worn down to the rivets. If it was aftermarket, anything is possible depending on what's in there.

Either way, it isn't a good sign - the stock Gen 4 and 5 clutches are pretty decent, but don't tolerate much in the way of slipping. A few of us know about that first hand. The looooooooooooong first gear is not ideal for standing starts.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

noisy throwout bearing maybe? Or maybe a bushing in the clutch pedal that needs lube?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    noisy throwout bearing maybe?
    That's what I would think.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Carolinas

I am guessing it is warn down to the rivets. You might not hear it when the car is cold and the first couple of shifts, but one the friction material gets hot and the rivets expand a little they could be rubbing.

I should note, the car has 6800 miles. I am guessing it is a stock clutch since the whole car was stock when I got it. The car has zero issues or sounds when I drive it normal or even hard (when clutch is fully engaged). It’s only when I rode the clutch to accelerate hard. Perhaps the throw out bearing.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Carolinas
    Could be the pilot bearing also. Mine went out on my TT C6 and chirped/squealed when trying to leave the line with spirit. Leaving from a stop normally never caused the sound, but that thing was trashed when we dropped the tranny.

there are a few spings in the clutch disc also that could have been groaning a little.. if the problem has gone away that could maybe haven been it..

A couple of things. I've had this same problem before, not in a Viper though, it turned out to be the pilot bearing. What's interesting is, when I replaced the clutch in my Viper, the pilot bearing was absolutely gone, mainly rust, yet made no noise what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    A couple of things. I've had this same problem before, not in a Viper though, it turned out to be the pilot bearing. What's interesting is, when I replaced the clutch in my Viper, the pilot bearing was absolutely gone, mainly rust, yet made no noise what so ever.
    Trying to make sense of what a bad pilot bearing would do if left that way, and how can it make that sound under the circumstances I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA96 View Post
    Trying to make sense of what a bad pilot bearing would do if left that way, and how can it make that sound under the circumstances I mentioned.
    Mine would squeal most notably when starting from a stop. Replacing only the pilot bearing, which had destroyed itself, fixed it.

The pilot bearing in my Viper (Gen3) was really awful, just some rusty sand that used to be the needle bearings, yet it was quiet.

Mine would squeal most notably when starting from a stop. Replacing only the pilot bearing, which had destroyed itself, fixed it.

The pilot bearing in my Viper (Gen3) was really awful, just some rusty sand that used to be the needle bearings, yet it was quiet.
    Any negative impact to anything if left this way?

Any negative impact to anything if left this way?
    That one squeaked for 10 to 20k miles before I replaced it. But I wouldn't recommend that, seems like it would put a load on the trans input bearing with the clutch cantilevered out there like that. But, of course, it may not be that at all......

Did it only do it the one time or does it continue?

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    Did it only do it the one time or does it continue?
    Didn’t try it after i heard it the one time.

That one squeaked for 10 to 20k miles before I replaced it. But I wouldn't recommend that, seems like it would put a load on the trans input bearing with the clutch cantilevered out there like that. But, of course, it may not be that at all......
    In hindsight,, did it vibrate as the clutch was depressed.
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Didn’t try it after i heard it the one time.
    I'm not sure if its something to be concerened about if it happened only the one time.. could hav just been the clutch disc springs baging around..

05038706AC-0-ANG.jpg

I’m going to give it another try today when I’m home later. I’ll keep you posted. I’ll see if I can record a sound with the phone as well if it does it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    In hindsight,, did it vibrate as the clutch was depressed.
    There was no vibration, clutch chatter or anything else, just the squeal.

I’m leaning toward pilot bearing myself. But can’t seem to grasp why it would squeal only when the engine and transmission are at different speeds. Once they are mated and spinning together it has no problem. I would think if a bearing was bad on the driveline, it would make sounds even in neutral.

So I took the car to get coffee this morning with a very nice launch from a stop (followed by the beautiful smell of clutch). However, no sound or squeal. Fixed itself? Or waiting to come out of the woodwork again later, haha.

I’m leaning toward pilot bearing myself. But can’t seem to grasp why it would squeal only when the engine and transmission are at different speeds. Once they are mated and spinning together it has no problem. I would think if a bearing was bad on the driveline, it would make sounds even in neutral.
    It does not turn any other time?? If anyone is going to remove the old pilot bearing, use a task specific puller.
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    It does not turn any other time?? If anyone is going to remove the old pilot bearing, use a task specific puller.
    So the sound from a pilot bearing is because it is jammed?

last time I had a pilot bearing fail, it energized the input on the transmission and made it all but impossible to get it into gear from a stop. Has it been any harder to get into 1st gear at a dead stop with your foot on the brake?

Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    last time I had a pilot bearing fail, it energized the input on the transmission and made it all but impossible to get it into gear from a stop. Has it been any harder to get into 1st gear at a dead stop with your foot on the brake?
    Now that you mention that, it seems like it was a lot clunkier to get into first at stop. It goes, just not as smooth as I remember. Or maybe it’s in my head now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast