Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viper Tips

Question Viper Tips

I am planning on bringing home a viper by the 6th and wanted to get some tips and advice. I haven't seen anything about high milage vipers maintenance and problems, I am assuming it is just standard oil change and maybe some other small stuff. For other things like clutch, brakes, rear, engine, and other bigger jobs is there a mile/age marker where these need to be changed?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Nothing special as far as maintenance. Just use the correct oil filter and drive it like you stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Nothing special as far as maintenance. Just use the correct oil filter and drive it like you stole it.
    Is there any other way what about for tires? I looked online for a little bit (just the big tire carrier sites) and only found 2 that carry tires for the viper being the Pirelli P Zero Corsa and the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. Where's the best place to go find tires and what are you rocking?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    JonB period.

jonb@partsrack.com

Tires will be to you in <48 hours.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    New Jersey

Yup. Always JonB for tires. He will get you a better price, ship them like lightning, and he's a long time supporting vendor of the VOA. Win win win.
    2013 GTS, Track Pack, Black/Silver
    Eat, Sleep and driveviper.com
    NJ VOA Facebook Group

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    New Jersey

There's also the non Corsa Pirelli P-Zeros, which get a bad rap in some circles, but I replaced my Corsas with them and an quite happy with them for street tires. Toyo R888 if you want the best gripping street tire at the expense of noise and wet weather traction.
    For all vipers Gen 3-5, the window regulators suck and will break. When they do, don't buy new ones, send them out to be rebuilt with metal tubes and they'll last a lifetime. Also cheaper to rebuild than buying new. Also the window bosses have failed for lots of people. Mine didn't, but I replaced then with the DSE metal bosses when I had my window out.
    Don't let the oil run low. Not every car burbs oil but a lot do. Might have to do with forged pistons? Either way just keep the oil full and no worries. A lot of people recommend thicker oil (15w-50) watch I believe Dick Winkles recommended. OEM was apparently 0w-40 to meet some emissions requirement. If you're under warranty, stick with OEM fluid. If not, if use the 15w-50. Dick did design the motor after all.

www.viperpartsrack.com for JonB
    www.dougshelbyengineering.com for the window bosses
    www.powerwindowrepair.com for the regulators

Good luck!
    2013 GTS, Track Pack, Black/Silver
    Eat, Sleep and driveviper.com
    NJ VOA Facebook Group

Interesting. Never knew about the 15w-50 thing
    2016 Viper GT - Gunmetal Pearl

Follow the maintenance schedule In the owners manual

Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    There's also the non Corsa Pirelli P-Zeros, which get a bad rap in some circles, but I replaced my Corsas with them and an quite happy with them for street tires. Toyo R888 if you want the best gripping street tire at the expense of noise and wet weather traction.
    For all vipers Gen 3-5, the window regulators suck and will break. When they do, don't buy new ones, send them out to be rebuilt with metal tubes and they'll last a lifetime. Also cheaper to rebuild than buying new. Also the window bosses have failed for lots of people. Mine didn't, but I replaced then with the DSE metal bosses when I had my window out.
    Don't let the oil run low. Not every car burbs oil but a lot do. Might have to do with forged pistons? Either way just keep the oil full and no worries. A lot of people recommend thicker oil (15w-50) watch I believe Dick Winkles recommended. OEM was apparently 0w-40 to meet some emissions requirement. If you're under warranty, stick with OEM fluid. If not, if use the 15w-50. Dick did design the motor after all.

www.viperpartsrack.com for JonB
    www.dougshelbyengineering.com for the window bosses
    www.powerwindowrepair.com for the regulators

Good luck!
    I've rocked P Zero and P Zero Nero for a while and I like them, but not in love with them, definitely the limiting factor on my current car by far. Do the Sport Cup 2s and Super Trofeos (no clue how to spell it) fit?

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    Follow the maintenance schedule In the owners manual
    Do you know how often I would have to change clutch, brakes, and car fluids (besides oil)?

Quote Originally Posted by Whopperman View Post
    I've rocked P Zero and P Zero Nero for a while and I like them, but not in love with them, definitely the limiting factor on my current car by far. Do the Sport Cup 2s and Super Trofeos (no clue how to spell it) fit?
    Sport Cup 2's do fit, with 345's in the rear, which are basically same size as the Pirelli 355's. AFAIK, Super Trofeo's are not in our size.
    Brad Williams
    2015 Competition Blue SRT - V/E DSC Suspension - TA1 Aero - StopTech's - SW2's with Corsas, Hummer H1, 70 Dodge Charger, BMW R1200GS Rallye, Ducati 999S, etc

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    Sport Cup 2's do fit, with 345's in the rear, which are basically same size as the Pirelli 355's. AFAIK, Super Trofeo's are not in our size.
    Do the cup 2s last? My friend said his are either 20 or 25 tread and he just picked his car up with 2k miles and they were put on the car 4 years ago by the original owner

I am planning on bringing home a viper by the 6th and wanted to get some tips and advice. I haven't seen anything about high milage vipers maintenance and problems, I am assuming it is just standard oil change and maybe some other small stuff. For other things like clutch, brakes, rear, engine, and other bigger jobs is there a mile/age marker where these need to be changed?
    I've owned my 2015 for 6 years now, have 87K miles.
    -I have never had a set a tires last longer then 20K. I am on my 5th set now.
    -Still on OEM clutch
    -Never had to changed brake pads
    -Followed maintenance schedule by the book for all fluid changes, always have used Mopar/pennzoil fluids
    -Biggest maintenance issue that has ever come up was replacing Valve Cover seals. While there is no direct schedule for them, they began leaking oil on mine around the 75K marker.
    Last edited by jns681186; 07-27-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jns681186 View Post
    I've owned my 2015 for 6 years now, have 87K miles.
    -I have never had a set a tires last longer then 20K. I am on my 5th set now.
    -Still on OEM clutch
    -Never had to changed brake pads
    -Followed maintenance schedule by the book for all fluid changes, always have used Mopar/pennzoil fluids
    -Biggest maintenance issue that has ever come up was replacing Valve Cover seals. While there is no direct schedule for them, they began leaking oil on mine around the 75K marker.
    Congrats on the 87k miles, I daily a 15 (not a viper) and I don't even have 80k. What tires do you run and have you tracked it?

Do the cup 2s last? My friend said his are either 20 or 25 tread and he just picked his car up with 2k miles and they were put on the car 4 years ago by the original owner
    Well I don't imagine they last as long as a street tire, but a guy in a TA in my track group gets at least 3 times the life out of a set of front Cup 2s than I do out of Corsa's, but then also says the front doesn't grip as well with them, which I guess makes sense.

I've run Corsa's for years, bought them by the pallet full when the VOA had the Pirelli deal. But I just spooned on my last set of fronts(bought a few more after the deal because I still had fresh rears), so will probably be looking to try something new. Maybe the Cup 2s? Our chip sealed highways up here make even the Corsa's impossibly noisy, so I don't think I wanna try the R888Rs.....

In contrast to others, in just 20,000 KMS which works out to 12000 miles or so, I've gone through 3 sets of rear tires, maybe a dozen sets of fronts(cant remember for sure), two sets of brake pads, as the Carbotech endurance pads I switched to don't seem to wear at all, and one set of front rotor rings(from mild heat cracks, and the resulting shudder).

But almost all my mileage is driving to the track or on it.
    Last edited by darbgnik; 07-28-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Congrats on the 87k miles, I daily a 15 (not a viper) and I don't even have 80k. What tires do you run and have you tracked it?
    When I first got the car I was dating someone who lived 4 hours from me, so almost every weekend it would get driven 4 hours each way on weekends.....literally almost every weekend. For the 1st 18 months of ownership it was my only car. Which is how I got the higher mileage. I now daily drive a 18 Subaru WRX.

I have never tracked the car.

First Set: P-Zero Corsa (factory set)
    Second: P-Zero
    Third: P-Zero
    Fourth: P Zero Corsa
    Fifth: P Zero Corsa (current)

-Jordan

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    20,000 miles on a set of tires on a Viper is fanatic.

Pirelli's = 10,000 miles
    Cup 2s = 11,000 miles
    R888R's = 8,000 miles
    You could add one track weekend to each of the above.
    This has been my experience over the last seven or eight year with two Vipers.
    Granted there is still a little life left in the front tires when I swap them out.
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

I've found the P-Zeros and P-Zero Corsas to get about the same milage driving the same drive cycle. However, the Corsas have superior grip. I'm surprised they still make the P-Zeros when the P-Zero Corsas are so fantastic for this car in street driving conditions in my opinion.

Do you know how often I would have to change clutch, brakes, and car fluids (besides oil)?
    Clutch and Brakes are dependent on how you drive.. The rest is all outlined in the owners manual (or the dealer can print you out the service intervals if you dont have the manual and cant find it online - which i think you cna get from the mopar site free).

In addition, I'd invest in a battery tender.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    Well I don't imagine they last as long as a street tire, but a guy in a TA in my track group gets at least 3 times the life out of a set of front Cup 2s than I do out of Corsa's, but then also says the front doesn't grip as well with them, which I guess makes sense.

I've run Corsa's for years, bought them by the pallet full when the VOA had the Pirelli deal. But I just spooned on my last set of fronts(bought a few more after the deal because I still had fresh rears), so will probably be looking to try something new. Maybe the Cup 2s? Our chip sealed highways up here make even the Corsa's impossibly noisy, so I don't think I wanna try the R888Rs.....

In contrast to others, in just 20,000 KMS which works out to 12000 miles or so, I've gone through 3 sets of rear tires, maybe a dozen sets of fronts(cant remember for sure), two sets of brake pads, as the Carbotech endurance pads I switched to don't seem to wear at all, and one set of front rotor rings(from mild heat cracks, and the resulting shudder).

But almost all my mileage is driving to the track or on it.
    That helps, I don't think I'd be tracking the car much (if at all) and if I do get serious about it, you think I should get the Cup 2's with a racing rim? I like to drive spirited, to keep it classy, and usually end up only using half of my tires (I believe it's the outside), do you think it will have less of an effect on the Corsa than it does on my nero all seasons?
    For the breaks, do you get warping or over heating at all and do they stop the same as stock?

Quote Originally Posted by jns681186 View Post
    When I first got the car I was dating someone who lived 4 hours from me, so almost every weekend it would get driven 4 hours each way on weekends.....literally almost every weekend. For the 1st 18 months of ownership it was my only car. Which is how I got the higher mileage. I now daily drive a 18 Subaru WRX.

I have never tracked the car.

First Set: P-Zero Corsa (factory set)
    Second: P-Zero
    Third: P-Zero
    Fourth: P Zero Corsa
    Fifth: P Zero Corsa (current)

-Jordan
    Which set did you like best and was there a big milage difference between the two sets before they fell off?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    20,000 miles on a set of tires on a Viper is fanatic.

Pirelli's = 10,000 miles
    Cup 2s = 11,000 miles
    R888R's = 8,000 miles
    You could add one track weekend to each of the above.
    This has been my experience over the last seven or eight year with two Vipers.
    Granted there is still a little life left in the front tires when I swap them out.
    How did you like each tire? From this I would most likely go with the cheaper of the Corsa and Cup 2's, but correct me if I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    Clutch and Brakes are dependent on how you drive.. The rest is all outlined in the owners manual (or the dealer can print you out the service intervals if you dont have the manual and cant find it online - which i think you cna get from the mopar site free).
    I tend to use more engine breaking and lifting for turns than breaks because I am afraid of them warping and deteriorating fast, so I would like to think I am easy on them. For the clutch, I have only reved up the engine while pressing on the clutch maybe 10 times in my life to either launch or do a burnout, I am not really a fan of doing either and only have the urge once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    In addition, I'd invest in a battery tender.
    I think I am going to get one, but I plan on driving maybe 4 days a week and in the winter, unless there is salt on the ground. Should I keep it plugged in only when I know I won't drive it for a bit or just always keep it plugged in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast