Post Ratings on All Modifications

Detailed reviews are fun and informative but sometimes just a straight rating on 10 would be just as helpful, if not more. Especially for comparisons.

I didn't try every possible modifications on my gen 3, but many of them. Will update with new parts/upgrades ratings when they come.

Obviously it's all very subjective from my own evaluations, but I hope this thread will help.

Very straightforward rating scale:

1/10 = Very bad, just don't.
    5/10 = You sure can live without it
    10/10 = An absolute must

($$$) Pricey for what you get
    ($$) Fairly priced
    ($) A bargain

EDIT: I've added ''stage 1, 2, 3'', it's the order that I would do myself if I had to do it again on a bone stock gen 3 Viper. Stage 1 is, to my belief, mandatory modifications/maintenance that should be done on all Vipers.
    That's downright safety related and how the car behaves and handles. Handling should be taken care of before anything related to getting more power from the engine...

-----------------------
    STAGE 1
    -----------------------

• TKO bump-steer correction kit: 11/10 ($$)

• Alignment (with the right specs): 10/10 ($)

• Good new tires (Michelin, Kuhmo ACR's, etc..): 9/10 ($$)

----------------------------
    STAGE 2
    ----------------------------

• BBK 67mm Throttle body: 9/10 ($)

• K&N air intake kit: 8/10 ($)

• SCT controller + Tune: 9/10 ($)

• Compe Coupe or Gen 4 swing arm oil pan: 8/10 ($$$)

• Mopar solid sway bars Front and Rear: 10/10 ($)

• BC coilovers w/Swift springs: 7/10 ($$)

• IPS Solid Steering Rack Bushings: 9/10 ($)

• Short shift kit: 9/10 ($)

----------------------------------
    STAGE 3
    ----------------------------------

• Headers: 7/10 ($$$)

• Centerforce Dual Friction clutch: 9/10 ($$)

• Final gears 3.73: 8/10 ($$)

• Wavetrac diff: 7/10 ($$)

• Corner balance: 7/10 ($$)

• Kuhmo ACR 355-30-19 tires: 10/10 ($)

• Yokohama A052 295-35-18 tires: 9/10 ($$)

• Underdrive crank pulley: 7/10 ($)

• Poly engine mounts: 9/10 ($)

• Poly transmission mount: 8/10 ($)

• Brake pads Hawk HB193S.670: 8/10 ($$)

--------------------------
    NOT RECOMMENDED
    --------------------------

• BC coilovers w/standard springs: 6/10 ($$)

• Nitto Invo tires: 2/10 ($$)

IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that all depends of the use: track or street or both. Also some parts/mod's impact depends on other mods... By exemple, if you have a bigger camshaft or engine mods you will benefit more from the headers, or brake pads and sway bars will benefit from better tires and so on...
    Last edited by Aevus; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:05 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    What kind of power increase did you see with the throttle body?

Side note:

The true absolute must on the Viper (all generations I suppose) are the tires and alignment.

Bought mine with Nitto Invo tires on it and while they're probably not horrible for a Toyota, they shouldn't be on a Dodge Viper.

Put good tires on that car before anything else. Same applies for the alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    What kind of power increase did you see with the throttle body?
    Didn't dyno the TB alone.

What I noticed is the more immediate throttle response and also the low-mid power/torque.

I'm very tempted to order Roe single blade to compare with the BBK

FYI, the ''perfect'' ratings 10/10 I gave is simply because there is no drawbacks on those that I know of.

Even the stiffer sway bars; they're not extremely stiff so unless your tires are really bad, you should really install them, along with the IPS bushings of course.

I've got Nitto Invos on my gen 3 coupe and have had them on there for probably 4 years now. (And yes, I know what happens to tires when they age) I've probably only put about 10K miles on them but I've got zero complaints. I've even been caught in super heavy rain (I'm in Florida) on the highway with massive amounts of standing water and still no issues at all. I'm just curious what makes the Invo not horrible for a Toyota but why they they should not be on a Viper? I don't track my car so I can't speak to the Invo track performance but for my everyday, spirited driving, they have worked just fine.
    2006 SRT10 Black Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by blankline9 View Post
    I've got Nitto Invos on my gen 3 coupe and have had them on there for probably 4 years now. (And yes, I know what happens to tires when they age) I've probably only put about 10K miles on them but I've got zero complaints. I've even been caught in super heavy rain (I'm in Florida) on the highway with massive amounts of standing water and still no issues at all. I'm just curious what makes the Invo not horrible for a Toyota but why they they should not be on a Viper? I don't track my car so I can't speak to the Invo track performance but for my everyday, spirited driving, they have worked just fine.
    It's all about comparisons.

Both a Big Mac and a Ribeye steak will feed you calories but there's reasons why people spend more for a steak...

My experience with Nitto is they're bad for traction, snap oversteers, and they don't make the front-end planted as it should, lack of feedback, etc... Can't even imagine Nittos on the track... And for the street (+rain) the best option is probably Michelin, but they're expensive..

Obviously, if you drive your Viper as a Camry and never drive it as the true sport car it is... Then maybe Nittos deserves a 6 out of 10?

I'm just curious what makes the Invo not horrible for a Toyota but why they they should not be on a Viper?
    Viper, Corvette, Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari, etc... Same applies for any true sports car. Stiffer suspension and chassis means the stress is transfered on the tires. Also (usually) a sports car is pushed more to the limits than a family sedan, therefore all feedbacks received from the tires are welcome.

As I said in post 1, all very subjective.

I basically consider the Dodge Viper as a race car that is road legal... And probably the last true manual transmission RWD beast that will roam our roads before final extinction and the new era of all-electric, all-automatic vehicles.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by blankline9 View Post
    With all possible respect I say: You just THINK they are working fine. But you are drawing a Blank from your limited experiences. You cannot accurately judge what you dont know. You have not discovered or compared how LOW their performance limits really are. SHITTO Invos [and RunCraps] should not be allowed to diminish Viper performance.

Just one factor: Lateral cornering G-force limits, as on a skid-pad. Or a wet road. Or a dirty, wet road.

The toyota / buick / oldsmobile, etc suspension and chassis cannot achieve better than a ~.80g cornering limit (for example) and so its perfectly matched its lower capability limits to those of the Shitto Invo Tires.

But the Viper suspension and chassis, brakes, steering are capable of at least 1.1g, and even higher if performance options have been added / employed. SO if you add Shitto Invos to a Viper, you lower its capabilities. You might NEED these higher limits one day if a dog, deer, old-lady, or a kid on a bike makes you "Go Evasive." The Shitto sidewalls flex too much, and you snap-steer and lose control.

Its like having a 6-gun with only 4 bullets. Dont go off half-cocked. Be safer. Ditch the old Shittos before they ditch YOU.
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 08-09-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Can't get any more honest and straight forwad than JonB!

Interesting and helpful thread!
    With regard to tires, what do you guys think of the Nitto NT555G2 for the front and N555RII, drag radials for the rear in stock sizes for a street driven, no track time Gen 4 Viper? When I bought my car it came with a brand new set of these Nitto tires.
    Brian E

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    The drag radials make sense for the drag strip (I'd never recommend running on anything less actually), and if you like to do first gear pulls on the street. Otherwise, their softer sidewalls aren't ideal for anything other than pure straight line performance.

They'll also fling rocks at your paint.

I have drag radials mounted on a separate set of wheels...I only run them on the street when driving to and from the drag strip. They do not inspire handling confidence, but they also aren't Nittos...maybe those are a bit better.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

I think the biggest bang for the buck mod is to eliminate the skip shift. Either with a tune, a skip shift eliminator harness, or simply unplug the solenoid (and get a CEL).

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Can't get any more honest and straight forwad than JonB!
    Yes indeed, but he's right though.

The Viper is a wonderfull platform but it requires few things to really unveil the potential. Good tires is among those things.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Although I did this Mod to my Gen 4 I am sure that it works on a gen 3. This would be changing out the steering wheel to a Gen 5 model. I would say it's 10/10 and on the $$$ side. But it really changed the whole driving experience for me at least. Perhaps this is due to also owning and driving a Gen 5 on a regular basis. I am not tooting my own horn here only saying I most likely wouldn't have known how big a different it was if that wasn't the case is all.
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    Although I did this Mod to my Gen 4 I am sure that it works on a gen 3. This would be changing out the steering wheel to a Gen 5 model. I would say it's 10/10 and on the $$$ side. But it really changed the whole driving experience for me at least. Perhaps this is due to also owning and driving a Gen 5 on a regular basis. I am not tooting my own horn here only saying I most likely wouldn't have known how big a different it was if that wasn't the case is all.
    Interesting.

and what about that option?

https://www.endlessrpm.com/custom-st...017-all-gens/#

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I think the biggest bang for the buck mod is to eliminate the skip shift. Either with a tune, a skip shift eliminator harness, or simply unplug the solenoid (and get a CEL).
    I seem to remember being told that you could use a skip Shift Eliminator on a 2008 Viper, but a skip shift eliminator will cause a CEL on the 2009 and 2010 model years. Anyone know for sure?
    Brian E

The best way to get rid of the skip shift is not simply with a tune?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    Interesting.

and what about that option?

https://www.endlessrpm.com/custom-st...017-all-gens/#
    That's cheap.

I paid about $1000 to have one made for my Gen IV.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian E View Post
    I seem to remember being told that you could use a skip Shift Eliminator on a 2008 Viper, but a skip shift eliminator will cause a CEL on the 2009 and 2010 model years. Anyone know for sure?
    I have a skip shift eliminator on my 2010 with no issues and I think I even bought it off amazon of all places.
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    DSCN0603.jpgDSCN0389.jpg

That's cheap.

I paid about $1000 to have one made for my Gen IV.[/QUOTE]

I was all in at right around a $1,000 too. That's with sending it to Tony to get restitched in a diffenrt color. But I was able to trade my old Gen 4 wheel and air bag for a Gen 5 air bag.

I think it looks way better too.
    Last edited by TheMadMachinist; 08-11-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

Looks better indeed, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    I have a skip shift eliminator on my 2010 with no issues and I think I even bought it off amazon of all places.
    Mine came off ebay, <$10. They're basically one size fits all for t-56/tr6060. The Chevy one is the same a Chrysler.

These can be installed without removing the belly pan.
    Last edited by Old School; 08-13-2021 at 06:34 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian E View Post
    I know for a fact a skip shift eliminator worked on my '08. I've since tuned it, so I removed the eliminator since there was no longer a need.

My understanding is that Dodge implemented a diagnostic in the '09 and '10 cars to check and make sure it was functioning properly. The diagnostic only runs under the conditions where a 1-4 skip would be forced, so if you don't normally drive in that narrow window even with an eliminator installed, you'd never really know.

The true test for an '09-'10 car would be to install a skip shift eliminator, and then drive very carefully to see if you can force the conditions where a skip shift would be commanded. Do that a couple of times in a row, and it will likely throw a check engine light. If not, then who knows?
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Updated post 1.

Now with ''stage 1, 2, 3'' to describe better the sequence order I would do, from a bone stock Viper.

Sorry for the spinal tap rating on the bump-steer correction kit, but I really had to.