Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Dry Sump oil filter relocation kit

    Hi guys,

    Looking for a quality motorsport grade oil filter relocation kit for my dry sump system. I have billet connection see through oil filter but it can't handle high oil temps. So looking for a different solution to run stock gen 5 oil filter or a big wix filter.

    I know TKO used to sell a kit but not offered by them anymore!
    2016 Viper ACR Extreme Prefix 9.0L

  2. #2
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    695
    How did you determine the Billet Connection filter won't handle the heat? I know their literature says 220*, but they assure me 270-280 peak won't hurt. Have you had a failure? I am using a Billet Connection filter in the line from the scavenge side of the pump to the dry sump tank, where the temps are probably the highest. Then I have a Peterson Fluid Systems remote filter adapter with the big Wix filter in the line from the pressure side of the pump to the motor (after the oil cooler). I would like to hear about your experience with the Billet Connection filter. If I need to ditch the Billet Connection filter, I will go to an inline -16 Peterson screen filter before the tank, and keep the Wix remote after the pump.Thanks.

    Pappy
    Last edited by Pappy; 08-25-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

  3. #3
    Member
    Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by theacr_viper View Post
    Hi guys,

    Looking for a quality motorsport grade oil filter relocation kit for my dry sump system. I have billet connection see through oil filter but it can't handle high oil temps. So looking for a different solution to run stock gen 5 oil filter or a big wix filter.

    I know TKO used to sell a kit but not offered by them anymore!
    We still offer oil filter relocation kit if your running a daily oil pan and pump. We just dont list it because its a very specialized kit

  4. #4
    Member
    Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    How did you determine the Billet Connection filter won't handle the heat? I know their literature says 220*, but they assure me 270-280 peak won't hurt. Have you had a failure? I am using a Billet Connection filter in the line from the scavenge side of the pump to the dry sump tank, where the temps are probably the highest. Then I have a Peterson Fluid Systems remote filter adapter with the big Wix filter in the line from the pressure side of the pump to the motor (after the oil cooler). I would like to hear about your experience with the Billet Connection filter. If I need to ditch the Billet Connection filter, I will go to an inline -16 Peterson screen filter before the tank, and keep the Wix remote after the pump.Thanks.

    Pappy
    Hello Pappy I read your post a couple times not sure if im reading it correctly so I apologize if you know this already. The feed line from the tank to the pump you dont run any type of filter or restriction. Pump to motor yes filter, scavenge line back to tank inline screen

  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    Hello Pappy I read your post a couple times not sure if im reading it correctly so I apologize if you know this already. The feed line from the tank to the pump you dont run any type of filter or restriction. Pump to motor yes filter, scavenge line back to tank inline screen
    Thanks. I do not have a filter in the -16 feed line from the tank to the pump. There is a Wix oil filter AFTER the pump before the oil enters the motor. The Billet Connection filter we are discussing is a 6" screen filter in the -16 line from the scavenge side of the pump going into the tank. That filter has a clear top so you can monitor any debris coming from the motor heading toward the dry sump tank. The manufacturer assures me that the clear top can handle the engine oil temps, but theacr_viper indicated that he was or anticipated having problems with the filter, so I was asking the question regarding anyone having the same issues/concerns. I am prepared to replace the Billet Connection filter with a Peterson 400-series in-line screen filter if necessary. The smaller -10 filter in the photo below is for the separated air line off of the Dailey dry sump pump (visible in second photo).

    Pappy

    Plumbing 2_LI.jpg

    Dailey Dry Sump.jpg
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

  6. #6
    Member
    Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Thanks. I do not have a filter in the -16 feed line from the tank to the pump. There is a Wix oil filter AFTER the pump before the oil enters the motor. The Billet Connection filter we are discussing is a 6" screen filter in the -16 line from the scavenge side of the pump going into the tank. That filter has a clear top so you can monitor any debris coming from the motor heading toward the dry sump tank. The manufacturer assures me that the clear top can handle the engine oil temps, but theacr_viper indicated that he was or anticipated having problems with the filter, so I was asking the question regarding anyone having the same issues/concerns. I am prepared to replace the Billet Connection filter with a Peterson 400-series in-line screen filter if necessary. The smaller -10 filter in the photo below is for the separated air line off of the Dailey dry sump pump (visible in second photo).

    Pappy

    Plumbing 2_LI.jpg

    Dailey Dry Sump.jpg
    I can see now, nice tank peterson makes good stufff. There are clear plastics that can handle 300F with no problem. The problem that usually occurs is brittleness from repeated high heat cycles and then sealing problems. Its why you wont see plastics used in critical areas on airplanes and racecars. We always just use in line screen filter. They also have inline screen filters with wiggins clamps if you want to make it a little easier and quicker to check for debri. Most of the time your only checking the screen because you already know you shit canned the motor anyway

  7. #7
    VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    Dan Cragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Santa Monica Ca
    Posts
    702
    PN# 22-625 Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Mount

    This is what I use for our dry sump or external pump applications.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

  8. #8
    [QUOTE=Pappy;444936]How did you determine the Billet Connection filter won't handle the heat? I know their literature says 220*, but they assure me 270-280 peak won't hurt. Have you had a failure? I am using a Billet Connection filter in the line from the scavenge side of the pump to the dry sump tank, where the temps are probably the highest. Then I have a Peterson Fluid Systems remote filter adapter with the big Wix filter in the line from the pressure side of the pump to the motor (after the oil cooler). I would like to hear about your experience with the Billet Connection filter. If I need to ditch the Billet Connection filter, I will go to an inline -16 Peterson screen filter before the tank, and keep the Wix remote after the pump.Thanks.

    Pappy, regarding the billet connection. It's a great unite and had 0 issues with it. it actually makes me understand the derbi that comes out of the engine for every oil change. My concern is how well it could handle oil temps. I really don't wanna damage my engine for having the oil filter blow out. If they assure me it could handle 270-280 I won't have any concerns at all actually it's a great unite that could save you a lot of oil filters cost. just replace the mesh every race season which is like 40/50$.

    Regardless on your setup, looks good so far. What kind of Dailey oil pan is that? haven't seen it before!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    We still offer oil filter relocation kit if your running a daily oil pan and pump. We just dont list it because its a very specialized kit

    I'll get in contact with you guys, Thanks
    2016 Viper ACR Extreme Prefix 9.0L

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    PN# 22-625 Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Mount

    This is what I use for our dry sump or external pump applications.

    Thanks, I'll consider it as an option
    2016 Viper ACR Extreme Prefix 9.0L

  10. #10
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by theacr_viper View Post

    Pappy, regarding the billet connection. It's a great unite and had 0 issues with it. it actually makes me understand the derbi that comes out of the engine for every oil change. My concern is how well it could handle oil temps. I really don't wanna damage my engine for having the oil filter blow out. If they assure me it could handle 270-280 I won't have any concerns at all actually it's a great unite that could save you a lot of oil filters cost. just replace the mesh every race season which is like 40/50$.

    Regardless on your setup, looks good so far. What kind of Dailey oil pan is that? haven't seen it before!
    Thanks for the reply. The pan/pump is the Dailey Signature Series for a 515 CI aluminum big block chevy motor. I went ahead and ordered an in-line Peterson filter, just in case. It is the same length from fitting-to-fitting as the Billet Connection piece, so a swap would be easy. The good news is that if the Billet Connection filter failed in the scavenge line from the pump to the tank, you would have plenty of warning before oil starvation - you would have 3 gallons of oil spaying in front of your rear tires, and that would certainly be an indicator of a problem. LOL

    Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis


 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •