When to replace the belt tensioner

I am wondering when you guys have changed the belt tensioner of your GenI/II? Did anyone replace it proactively?

I still have the original tensioner installed. As part of my routine inspection procedure, I have removed the belt to check all pulleys for looseness, friction and play. My tensioner pulley is making some noise when turning by hand. There is no play and no friction though.

I guess, this would be a good time now to replace it before I get stranded...!?

Enthusiast
    I replace it ever 4 years when I replace my belt as you are supposed to. That is published information that you should do that. Most people don't ever even replace their belt on any routine frequency so following the recommendation of changing your tensioner at the same time very rarely gets followed either. I use the Gates from RA.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

So, I am a little bit overdue .... time to get it replaced. Thanks.

Might want to go ahead and replace the idler bearing/pulley while you're at it.
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 60k miles ||

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS || 2002 Audi TT Quattro || 1986 Volkswagen GTI

If it moves excessively while running, replace it. If the bearings spin easily, replace it. If the bearing shows any wandering, replace it. If checking these things is a chore, replace it every 4 years.

FWIW: just had a look again at the maintenance schedule as outlined in my '98 SM. Interestingly enough, maintenance schedule A does not even mention to check the belt. This task is only included in schedule B. I think such an important item should definitively be included in schedule A, too.

I replaced the tensioner today. To get to the one nut was a PITA...

PS: My 900th post. Yeah! Hope, I will still make the 1000!!

Enthusiast
    You're good for 4 more years now so go drive the piss out of it.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Enthusiast
    I just had a belt-related scare today on my '94 and found this post. Thanks for info! Any recommendations on reaching said pain-in-the-ass nut? Or is it just fight it til you get it? I'm hopelessly inexperienced, so if anyone has more helpful tips that might be relevant, I'd love to hear 'em.

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Static electrickery

Quote Originally Posted by GRglasser View Post
    I just had a belt-related scare today on my '94 and found this post. Thanks for info! Any recommendations on reaching said pain-in-the-ass nut? Or is it just fight it til you get it? I'm hopelessly inexperienced, so if anyone has more helpful tips that might be relevant, I'd love to hear 'em.
    Basically, it is just fight.... trying out different types of wrenches (length, angle), small hands are certainly an advantage... and lots of patience and/or beers ;-)

Edit: Just realize that Gen 1 might be different (easier??) than Gen 2...