Replacement trans and Nth Moto Triple dealer install experience at Gerry Wood Dodge

I recently ended up needing my trans replaced under warranty on my 15 GTS due to some increasingly loud second gear/bearing whine, and I wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone with being comfortable taking their Viper in for more involved work at a dealer in this area. I have personally had many bad experiences with performance cars at dealers over the last 10 years, which I'm confident contributes to my innate skepticism of having non-performance oriented shops work on my cars. (disclaimer, this will not be a clutch review or DIY, but I do have my impressions of the clutch setup below)

For background, I am in upstate SC and did check with some other surrounding dealers initially, but I was far less than impressed with the knowledge/familiarity level of the folks I was able to talk to at those locations. This is of course just my personal experience, so please keep that in mind. There may or may not be very knowledgeable/capable folks at some of the more local places I did speak with, but nobody I talked to in the upstate SC area made me feel even remotely comfortable with them taking my car apart. Long story short, I ended up getting some recommendations from members here to check with Gerry Wood Dodge in Salisbury, NC which is where I ultimately had the work done. (~2hrs north of the Greenville/Spartanburg area)

The process itself working with GWD was very smooth and transparent, almost to the point of disbelief if I'm completely honest. Right out of the gate it was clear to me after talking with their service manager and one of their techs, that they work on Vipers at least semi-regularly and that they know what they are doing more than 100% of the places I initially spoke with. Due to rarity of parts and COVID-related delays these days, the trans ultimately took around two months to get in. Their service manager was awesome and kept me up to date regularly on shipment status and progress throughout the waiting period. When it came to the clutch, even though I was fairly sure the stock clutch was fine at ~12k miles, I wanted to go with the Nth Moto setup. I was very up front with their service manager and asked if they were comfortable doing the Nth Moto install while they were in there, including suggesting that it was more involved and more intricate than a typical install and asking them to look at a write-up of it and Nth Moto’s instructions. They were confident and more than happy to tackle it so I ordered the setup.

I did ask if they would be willing to take some pictures as they went through the install/process for everything and they were more than willing to do so. As they got into it and had the trans out, they noticed the slave cylinder was not in good shape so we replaced that as well. They mentioned the clutch was more involved, as expected, but that there were no real problems and everything went in cleanly. Not that I expected anything less but, I’m also very happy to report that my GPS tracker on the car was active the whole time and during test drives and assessment drives there was no excessive speeding or nonsense detected. Overall this was an excellent experience and I would not hesitate to have them do work on my Viper again, even with them being 2hrs away.

During my drive home I noticed that in 5th gear between 1500-2400 RPM with anything more than 20% throttle, there is a new vibration/noise. It’s not loud enough that you’d hear it with the windows down, but with the windows up and radio low/off you can most definitely hear it. (stock exhaust setup) After discussing this with Nth Moto and then the service manager at GWD, GWD decided to order/replace the transmission a second time under the presumption that it’s possible there was something with the new trans and it’s 5th gear that could be causing it. The fluid from the first replacement looked fine with no evidence of anything grinding or wearing down, etc. after ~500miles. The second replacement trans is definitely a tad quieter than the first, so perhaps this is due to variance in transmission builds, but the noise is definitely still present and was at the least not noticeable with the stock clutch setup. Overall, though I do think this is certainly a negative thing, for me this just isn’t a problem and doesn’t worry/bother me much for how I use the car.

Nth Moto Triple Carbon Clutch impressions:

• Engagement feel - Phenomenal. It has a good bite but doesn’t feel like a tractor
    • Engagement height - It engages a little lower than the stock setup. I would personally prefer it to engage even lower than it does, but it is definitely an improvement over stock which in my opinion is way too high.
    • Engagement window - The window, as you should expect with something like this, is more narrow and immediate.
    • Rev-matching on down shifts and high speed/RPM shifting are WAY more smooth/predictable/satisfying.
    • As you might expect from a lightened setup, it does require a slight amount more modulation and/or throttle to get going from a stop, depending on your level of precision, but in my opinion it’s inconsequential if you’re “into driving a manual” you’ll probably enjoy it regardless.
    • The pedal is very light and I wouldn’t really say it’s discernibly different from the stock setup unless you literally drove them back to back.
    • It’s undeniably the most expensive clutch setup I’ve ever purchased for any car, but it sure as hell seems to be one of the best quality ones as well. You should determine if you feel like it’s “worth it” for yourself, but my suggestion would be that it is.
    • Noise - The only negative aspect I will mention is that at least on a totally stock car there seems to be some harmonic vibration/resonance in the 1500-2400 RPM range from the trans that is amped up to the point of being noticeable with this setup when you’re in 5th/6th gear with more than 20% throttle in that RPM range.(6th is much less noticeable than 5th) I’ve heard “marbles in a can” and “coffee grinder” used to describe it, and I would generally concur. It's also worth mentioning that you'd probably not notice it with the windows down and/or the radio at a decent volume. I have been in contact with Nth Moto on this and will be relaying my experience because at least given my personal experience, at this price point I do really think this should be mentioned as at least a possible known outcome. Other than this there is no idle noise/chatter/etc. in any circumstance that I've noticed.

Pictures if you are interested:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...KS?usp=sharing
    Last edited by phantomapollyon; 09-06-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    '15 Viper GTS
    '15 Fiat 500 Abarth

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Sounds like you had a great experience. It's not every day that you'd see a dealer willing to install aftermarket parts like that.

Your assessment of the Nth Moto clutch pretty much matched mine, including the annoying noise in 5th/6th gear. Race car parts come with some race car compromises I guess.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Great writeup! Any reason you went with the triple over the double? I know it's a bit heavier. I love my double, it's been bulletproof for many years now behind my big hp motor.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Great writeup! Any reason you went with the triple over the double? I know it's a bit heavier. I love my double, it's been bulletproof for many years now behind my big hp motor.
    To be completely honest I didn't realize Nth Moto offered a double, perhaps I just missed it, or unless maybe you're talking about something like the McLeod? The McLeod was definitely my second choice based on the "better" street-ability, but honestly other than the one noise I'm noticing with the Nth Moto triple I can't imagine needing anything more street-able for a weekend warrior type of build.(certainly to each their own though) Maybe if you were more lazily commuting or wanted a super forgiving/comfortable setup you might want something softer, but this thing is honestly mind-blowingly soft compared to most other double/triple setups on just about any vehicle I've ever driven.

Regardless, at a super high level I would say I love the idea of no internal moving parts once engaged, significantly improved drivability, reasonable but not crazy reduction in weight, and the capability to hold a ton more power in the event that I ever decided to "go big" with the car...which won't be anytime soon admittedly. In my travels/conversations at least, the Nth Moto triple was the primary option that I heard unanimously great things about, constantly recommended from about every shop I spoke with, and would effectively never need to be changed at reasonable power levels. In my opinion it's definitely overkill for the street, but short of that one noise there's really no other drawback for my personal tastes and driving style.
    Last edited by phantomapollyon; 09-06-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    '15 Viper GTS
    '15 Fiat 500 Abarth

Enthusiast
    Nice to hear a good experience with the dealer
    2017 White GTS 1/2 No stripes

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    I think they only offer a triple and a quad...no double that I'm aware of.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)