VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    North Texas

IPSCO Power Steering Pulley Squeak

I installed an IPSCO billet power steering pulley and bracket a couple of weeks ago. First drive went well but today it’s squeaking. Has anyone ran into this? Wondering where I may have gone wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you!

Enthusiast
    1) look at the pulley when running to observe for wobble.

2) from the side look at the belt to ensure all the pulleys line up with each other and the belt isn't rubbing the shoulder of the pulley. Use a ruler / straight edge if needed.

3) how old is your tensioner and belt?
    Last edited by dave6666; 09-05-2021 at 11:42 AM. Reason: drunk posting on a sunday morning
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    North Texas

Thank you for the reply. I think I have a slight wobble. I’ll check the alignment, the belt isn’t riding hard on the shoulder of the pulley but it’s close on the front side. Not sure how old the belt and tensioner are but I’d guess the tensioner is original 2001. Belt looks aftermarket. Seems like I need to pull the belt and reinstall the pulley. Any suggestions on how to shim to keep it balanced?

Enthusiast
    The tensioner should be replaced every 4 years as should the belt. That time period has nothing to do with miles driven as the "wear" on those parts is just as much time as miles. Elastomeric parts like the belt deteriorate over time and constant tension springs like the tensioner wear out from being under constant tension. The plastic pulley also can fail. I did try the IPSCO billet tensioner pulley but didn't like it so went back to the plastic one. The point of it being metal will last longer than plastic, but if you replace the entire tensioner every 4 years, pulley life shouldn't be an issue.

The pulley is not supposed to be "shimmed" to get it aligned with the others. It's placement on the shaft determines the alignment unless for some reason the pulley kit you are using positions the pulley in a fixed i.e. non adjustable location. Every kit I've seen the pulley is adjustable on the shaft.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)