Speedo randomly stops working

I have googled and found everything from the speed sensor, to the pcm, to the gauge cluster to the radio speed volume, etc.

I would love to not have to chase down every possible issue and I'm hopeful maybe someone could help me given my exact issues.

1) Cold start - speedo is fine.
    2) Randomly ~5 min into a drive, it stops working completely.
    3) I can stop/restart the car, it still will not work
    4) Shut car off, come back 6 hours later, speed works again for ~5 minutes or less, then reads 0 again

I *think* I have seen the speedo come back to life while on a drive, but I cannot confirm that because if it did, it stopped working shortly there after again.

Since this issue started happening, I have not once started the car and not had the speedo work initially.

Thank you in advance!

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Alabama/Tennessee
    What year?
    Have you gotten underneath and checked connections at transmission?
    2017 GTS Competition Blue
    1998 RT/10 Silver 6.5 Roe S/C, 1.7 HS RR's, Roe Hi-Flow Cats, B & B Headers/3" exhaust, 3.33, Eibachs, SRT front brake upgrade, Toms 40mm rear upgrade .....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by uvbnbit View Post
    What year?
    Have you gotten underneath and checked connections at transmission?
    Agree with the crawl under the car and look idea. It's free.

Given that it appears you do not have issue for the first bit after a cool down, it would lean toward something that heats up as the drive continues. That would be the speed sensor or wiring near it.

Do you have the factory chassis troubleshooting manuals?
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Enthusiast
    When I had an issue with the speedo being intermittent when I first bought my 2002 in 2006, I traced it to a bad connection between the sub harness and the main harness, down around the front driver's side of the transmission, I think. (was 15 years ago, OMG !) Not at the transmission end that plugs into the speed sensor; but, at the other connection of that harness, about 2-3? feet forward. It was a manufacturing defect where the connector pin wasn't captured properly and was pushed back in the connector so that it barely touched the mating pin. Just giving you another place to check in case it isn't at the sensor end (which seems like the most probable fault location, given the symptoms)
    Jim

I have had the same thing happening for about a year. There is no rhyme or reason for when the speedo works and when it doesn't. It works about 50% of the time. I examined the speedo sensor in the trans and its not the issue. I also inspected the transmission wiring harness. Also no the issue. All the connectors and pics look fine. I know this wasn't helpful but you're not alone!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    You can compare the odometer reading in the PCM versus the cluster using an OBD1 reader. If they differ it is between the PCM and cluster, or the cluster itself. If they are the same it should be on the signal side (sensor, wiring or connector).

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Sounds like a thermal issue. Use tech in a can (Cold Spray) and start hitting components with a quick shot to see if it comes back to life after it stops working.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperC View Post
    It works about 50% of the time. I examined the speedo sensor in the trans
    Typically, one cannot look at or measure a sensor like that to determine if it's functional or not esp if it works half the time. Put a new one in.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Sorry guys, its a 1996 GTS! That would have been smart for me to include hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Typically, one cannot look at or measure a sensor like that to determine if it's functional or not esp if it works half the time. Put a new one in.
    are these speed sensors readily available or is it like the windshield? Anyone know where I can purchase one?
    thanks!