Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis

2021 NASA Championships

This week is the 2021 NASA Championships down at Daytona. They'll be running the road course! Looks like a huge turnout and am jealous that I won't be attending. I have 4 buddies making the trip, so it'll be fun to see how they fair against national competition.

Disclaimer: I opted not to participate because I hate roval tracks. I'm not nearly comfortable enough on the high banking in order to be in contingency for the win, and going into it, if I know I won't be super competitive, I'm not willing to spend the time/money to go down there.

They have a live feed that will start on Thursday, HERE.

The field looks like this: 2021 Championship Entry List.

The schedule is HERE.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    This week is the 2021 NASA Championships down at Daytona. They'll be running the road course! Looks like a huge turnout and am jealous that I won't be attending. I have 4 buddies making the trip, so it'll be fun to see how they fair against national competition.

Disclaimer: I opted not to participate because I hate roval tracks. I'm not nearly comfortable enough on the high banking in order to be in contingency for the win, and going into it, if I know I won't be super competitive, I'm not willing to spend the time/money to go down there.

They have a live feed that will start on Thursday, HERE.

The field looks like this: 2021 Championship Entry List.

The schedule is HERE.
    Thanks for sharing! I don't like Ovals either, never done one, but really wanted to run against Faessler and his crazy Mustang, but the Long Breach Grand prix thing came up so doing that instead. Hopefully Faessler can beat those prototypes, that's what I'm rooting for!
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I don't like Ovals either, never done one, but really wanted to run against Faessler and his crazy Mustang, but the Long Breach Grand prix thing came up so doing that instead. Hopefully Faessler can beat those prototypes, that's what I'm rooting for!
    His Mustang is a monster...but those prototypes are just so fast. It'll be good competition I'm sure!

I'm hoping/praying that next year they do it at a fun road course and I'm in.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    I think you guys might be selling yourselves short on fun, particularly with Daytona as far as rovals go. Not to mention the immense history there. I actually enjoy trying to roll extra speed through the banked corners.
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

As long as you know minimum tire pressures and camber angles, why not?
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    As long as you know minimum tire pressures and camber angles, why not?
    I'm just not comfortable doing them, a lot of it probably has to do with car setup. Both times I've tried I could either get the car to handle in the infield as it should, or go around the oval without rubbing the splitter today....I couldn't get both.

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by str5010 View Post
    I think you guys might be selling yourselves short on fun, particularly with Daytona as far as rovals go. Not to mention the immense history there. I actually enjoy trying to roll extra speed through the banked corners.
    100% agree with you str5010. Ovals, street courses, hill climbs, technical road course, high speed road courses they are all just another track. You should look at them as learning tools to gain more experience. I Guarantee you if you run a track that's intimidating you will be much faster on a track you are comfortable on.

I get where you're coming from. All race car setups are necessarily a compromise for different track variables and how hard the driver is able to push. Some just don't want to get that far down in the weeds for a 1-off.

Based on my time at the Road America Reunion, I would do things quite a bit differently going back than the way I unloaded. Generally speaking, I had way too much camber in the car.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 09-14-2021 at 10:44 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    100% agree with you str5010. Ovals, street courses, hill climbs, technical road course, high speed road courses they are all just another track. You should look at them as learning tools to gain more experience. I Guarantee you if you run a track that's intimidating you will be much faster on a track you are comfortable on.
    Agreed! Once I did Road Atlanta that changed me as a driver, I woulda been slow at Road America if I hadn't done Atlanta before... I would do Daytona, but not at nasa nationals trying to run 10/10ths and end up dead. lol. I'd need to change my gearing as well. I just watch Rand Pobst do 172mph there in a Cayman GT4. lmfao
    Last edited by Arizona Vipers; 09-14-2021 at 02:43 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming

We have at least 1 forum member going. I believe LuvSpeed is out there now.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by jrubin80 View Post
    We have at least 1 forum member going. I believe LuvSpeed is out there now.
    Why aren't you?

VOA Member
    since 2020

Not being able to take the time away from work was original issue. Transmission taking a crap at Hasting's 2 weeks ago was the nail in the coffin.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Not being able to take the time away from work was original issue. Transmission taking a crap at Hasting's 2 weeks ago was the nail in the coffin.
    Time to sequential....

Hard core Gen 2 holdout guy says sequentials are for those who never mastered heel & toe and are taking easy street. We need more manly men driving H-pattern boxes!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    Hard core Gen 2 holdout guy says sequentials are for those who never mastered heel & toe and are taking easy street. We need more manly men driving H-pattern boxes!
    You're describing me! haha

VOA Member
    since 2020

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Time to sequential....
    All up to Dodge. If they warranty it then I do nothing. If they don’t then maybe it’s time to get crazy.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    I will be flying into Daytona tomorrow. Looks like I am the lone Viper there. This is my second year trying to really improve as a driver, and my first year doing NASA Time trials. Will be competing in tt1. I really don’t have any expectations of competing for the win, however I do do want to use it as a learning experience. This will be my first time doing a large oval course. I will rep the Viper nation as best I can, however I am no C Rosen.
    2016 Dodge Viper TA 2.0 9LX, 2014 SRT Viper TA # 3
    2+2=5

Best of luck, be safe and have fun!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvSpeed View Post
    I will be flying into Daytona tomorrow. Looks like I am the lone Viper there. This is my second year trying to really improve as a driver, and my first year doing NASA Time trials. Will be competing in tt1. I really don’t have any expectations of competing for the win, however I do do want to use it as a learning experience. This will be my first time doing a large oval course. I will rep the Viper nation as best I can, however I am no C Rosen.
    Best of luck to you!

All up to Dodge. If they warranty it then I do nothing. If they don’t then maybe it’s time to get crazy.

How/why would it be under warranty?
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 09-15-2021 at 10:08 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2020

It is still under a Mopar MaxCare warranty until 4/2023. They replaced the rear diff earlier this year with no questions asked, so kinda hoping for the same thing this time.

VOA Member
    since 2020

Be safe and good luck! I know you will represent the Viper community and Rocky Mountain region well.

It is still under a Mopar MaxCare warranty until 4/2023.
    That warranty is absolutely the best money a Viper owner/track enthusiast can ever spend after buying the car in the first place. I got 2 new trannys and a diff in my car, but I never modded the engine or drivetrain. I'm still on the OE half shafts because I know to let off when I get the slightest hint of wheel hop.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Badass dude!!! We'll be cheering for you! Did you have the car shipped? Nationals is so stressful running around getting your car dyno'd etc. You have an ex Trans Am driver in your class, Johnny Miller in an extremely well prepared Vette, impossible to beat in a stock Viper. Hopefully he breaks! hehe (Just kidding). What's crazy if you have 5 vettes in your class and one Bimmer. We'll be watching on Race Hero good luck!!!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    Best of luck, keep us posted here! Don't know your background, but there are a number of members in the Florida club that have tons of laps around Daytona. I know they been through a lot of setup work with tires in terms of alignment and pressures. I'm sure we could easily link you up if you're looking for any local knowledge.
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Badass dude!!! We'll be cheering for you! Did you have the car shipped?
    Thanks. Trailering my car here from Colorado would take too long. I can not afford to take the time off of work. I am fortunate in that SCR performance (a local race car company) was trailing a couple cars down here already. I was able to pay them to take my car.
    2016 Dodge Viper TA 2.0 9LX, 2014 SRT Viper TA # 3
    2+2=5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast