Enthusiast

Question Transmission oil leak

Hi all

I find that after my track days I have transmission oil under my car. When checking the gearbox it seems to come from very high up which leads me to believe that it comes from the vent tube. I have spoken to a mechanic who works on a buddys ACR-e and he confirms that he has seen it on two other track driven ACRs. He says that he has not found any easy way to stop it from happening and that it is a construction error. I have searched this forum and only seen one reference to that this might be an issue. I find this strange when we have three cars here in Sweden that are experiencing the same problem.

Here's the only other posting I found: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post234992

In my case, the gearbox is not over filled and it is not leaking around where the tube is connected to the gearbox. Which is why I think that the overpressure in the gearbox is pushing fluid out of the tube

So, are there anyone else who has this problem and are there any known solutions to fix it?

I've had this issue on my Gen 2 - particularly when running hard at the track. Is what it is. Do you guys drive them hard on hilly, winding roads that would tend to slosh the lubricant around inside the case?
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

any possibility of adding a hose to extend the vent tube location?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    any possibility of adding a hose to extend the vent tube location?
    Yes, I have been thinking about that. However I think it will be difficult without removing the gearbox. But it might be the "easiest" solution but not a "quick fix"

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    How much oil are you putting in it?

If you fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole, you are actually slightly overfilling it, which could lead to oil coming out of the vent.

The factory fill amount (3,210 mL / 3.4 qts) will actually put you a little below the bottom of the fill hole.

That's something relatively easy to do for starters...might help, might not.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Is there a check valve in the tube that opens under pressure??
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    My 08 ACR has thousands of laps on it and has always done this. It's annoying and yet I haven't enacted a fix to this point. It always somehow falls off the winter project list. To be fair I often do overfill it slightly, but it continues to happen even after some fluid exits the vent.
    Last edited by str5010; 09-15-2021 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Is there a check valve in the tube that opens under pressure??
    As far as I can tell, there's just a cap that has the edges pressed together so that it doesn't fall off. I can move it up and down with my fingers though. I guess it's sort of a cheap check valve.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    My ACR did that all the time. I removed the stubby vent tube and installed a long tube (approx 3 1/2-4')and ran it up to the engine compartment. Then added a small fuel filter as a catch/ vent. It works good. I was able to do this without removing the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by eckeph View Post
    As far as I can tell, there's just a cap that has the edges pressed together so that it doesn't fall off. I can move it up and down with my fingers though. I guess it's sort of a cheap check valve.
    The reason I asked, I had a slight leak from that tube, however, the tube end was positioned so that the end was pushed against the body. I moved the tube to get separation. The leak then stopped, that is why I assumed it was a check valve.
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    My ACR did that all the time. I removed the stubby vent tube and installed a long tube (approx 3 1/2-4')and ran it up to the engine compartment. Then added a small fuel filter as a catch/ vent. It works good. I was able to do this without removing the trans.
    How did you remove the tube? To me it seems as it is pressed into place into the aluminum casing. Can you just wiggle it loose? Or did you just cut it?

I noticed the leak as well during the last few months and only track the car 4 weekends over the summer. Was wondering what this was.

+1 on longer vent hose idea. On the to-do list. I always fill to drip so I am indeed overfilling as well.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Trans leaking through vent tube is real common on all T56 magnum trans ( gen 3-5 vipers) . We have a trans breather kit we mfg and install on customer cars that solves the problem. The kit not listed on our website because we just didnt have alot people who thought they needed it so its secret menu in house race part now. Our trans breather is a very clean tidy aluminum breather tank comes with a nice 4ft nomex line, line clamps, washable filter element. The tank can be easily mounted on the driver side in the engine compartment. You can see the breather tank in pics just in front of brake master reservoir. The transmission is out of the
    car so you can see the nipple on the side of the breather tank where nomex line attaches20210929_093715.jpg.

You dont have to buy our breather tank to solve your trans breathing problem. Our kit is just a clean and tidy option. You can simply attach a longer hose to the transmission breather tube ( use a hose clamp) and run it uphill to the engine compartment making sure to keep it well away from driver side exhaust manifold. You can use a small plug filter or use foam filter element and simply zip tie it over end of line and secure line.