Enthusiast

New Old Stock Intake Manifold Bent MAP Port

I ordered a NOS intake, for probably no reason now that I don't think the car has a problem. But since I have it I thought I would ask. Are there years of the viper where this MAP port is bent or sealed. I have a late 98, so I don't have the PCV valve, and instead have the CCV system that is on the front of the intake and am wondering if there were other changes to the vacuum system. I was reading a thread on another forum where someone mentioned their car didn't have anything hooked up.

Here is a picture of the one that showed up vs the one on the car. Were there years where they didn't use this port for the MAP sensor?

IMG_20210914_170039.jpg
    IMG_20210914_171143.jpg

The front of my intake has four vacuum ports, where it seems some early 98's and 96, 97 only have two.

ports.JPG

Enthusiast
    The bent map port is damage. The rubber cap was a non effective means of preventing that damage. They are easy to bend back. Done it more than once.

Evap systems did change a little over the years but I'm not aware about changes in the intake ports to go with that. It's a lot easier to cap the hoses than it is to add more tho. They all go to the same place inside.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Ditto what Dave said. Bend it back carefully. The four nipples at the front are standard for all Gen 2s for sure, and possibly all back to '94. The lower 2 ports are for PCV return. The upper 2 ports are for EVAP vapor return. Each pair connect to a tee near the center. Those tees connect to their respective gas sources. I do know that there is a capped nipple on the '98+ manifolds that wasn't on the earlier ones. It is on the outboard DS, behind the TB.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Enthusiast
    Got it, I thought I saw an intake that only had two on the front. Must have misremembered. I never noticed the capped on behind the TB. I will bend it back carefully.

Enthusiast
    On the new intake there isn't a nipple behind the throttle body. On mine there is. It looks like it runs to the leak detection pump, and the evap canister is in the front of the car. Reading some other threads, it seems like RT/10 have it in the rear of the car. Assuming this intake isn't going to work.

IMG_20210916_195606.jpg
    IMG_20210916_195556.jpg
    Last edited by RetroJonez; 09-16-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Enthusiast
    Drill it and install a fitting there. It's not that complicated to do.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Drill it and install a fitting there. It's not that complicated to do.
    Cool. I thought about that.

Enthusiast
    Summing any barb will work as long as the interior and exterior diameter are close. I think the other barbs are just pressure fit, does anyone sell the ones that were.used stock? I could always pull the one from the old intake if I wanted to resue it, I suppose.

I'm assuming it's just steel OD tubing much like annealed brake line. It looks like the bulb end that the hose pushes onto is formed similar to the first stage of a standard inverted flare brake line. I don't know about the end that presses in the manifold.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

A number of years ago I had a enlarged/polished manifold shipped to me and one of those tubes was bent. I pulled the tube out of the manifold (it had no threads - just smooth pipe). I went to a place that made brake lines and they made me a couple of replacements tubes from brake tubing that was very close to the same size, they even put the flare or nipple on the the outside end. I put some sort of sealer on the pipe and tapped it into the manifold. It has never gotten loose.