add another nightmare ps pulley swap to the list

So after buying my 2000 RT10 a month ago I have done lots of reading to learn as much as possible. One common recommendation is to swap the stock plastic ps pump pulley and bracket with a steel one (with IPSO being the most common). So after viewing the youtube video I thought it looked easy enough so I order the IPSO kit.

Went to do the swap yesterday and unfortunately the lips around the stock hub broke away as I was trying to pull using a proper PS pulley puller. After looking at it for a while I eventually realized I had no choice but to cut it off. Got my dremel with a 2" cutoff wheel and first cut the plastic pulley off as low to the hub as possible and then cut downward toward to the hub until I basically had nothing but the hub sleeve left. I then started on cutting across (back to forward) right down to the shaft but being very careful to not touch the shaft or back end of the ps pump. Made about 6 cuts all around, and then started on making cuts vertically down all around again being very careful not to touch the shaft. After a few hours the hub was off.

After that it wasn't bad at all. On a bonus, the PO used a serpentine belt intended for non ac cars (be basically bypassed ac) but supplied me with the proper belt and said they bypassed it to produce more HP. Being the belt was off for this pulley swap, I decided to install the proper belt with the AC connected (this provided to be much harder than I thought - hint guys -- remove the breather box and then it is easy). Got it all back together and fire her up - everything looked great and sounded / worked as it should. Went to try the AC and it is blowing COLD.

So a job which I thought would take 1 hour turned into 4 to 5ish. But feeling good that my ps pulley is safe, and I now have AC

Wait till you change your thermostat and one (or more) of those bolts snap off in the block. For the P.S. pulley, I had the same happen and said screw it and bought a new pump for about $50.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    Some additional time, but at least it ended well.
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    I too pretty much did the same as you, swapped out most of it on the car, removing the large aluminium cross bar and top rad hose to remove bar, snapped the plastic pulley off using a hacksaw until down to the metal sleeve then cut it off with the hacksaw carefully rotating the shaft peeling a bit of the sleeve off at a time. I didn't use a puller at all (as i did not have one). As you say it takes a few hours LOL

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by 98RedGTS View Post
    Wait till you change your thermostat and one (or more) of those bolts snap off in the block. For the P.S. pulley, I had the same happen and said screw it and bought a new pump for about $50.
    I don't think it's possible to do this job without at least one snapping hahahah

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonin88 View Post
    I don't think it's possible to do this job without at least one snapping hahahah
    So true