Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Great Question
    As an engineer I'm guessing that they added a gasket or insulation between the Aluminium rocker/sill panel & the Stainless Steel Heat Shield
    The Stainless heat shield is pop riveted to the Aluminium panel, and absolute disaster & schoolboy error in manufacture. Due to the two materials being at either ends of the galvanic table the stainless will rot the Aluminium with vengeance if it get the slightest bit wet. Combine this with the poor dusting of black paint on the reverse of the panel, any place the stainless heat shield touches the back of the Aluminium panel, vibrates or rubs it will rot the aluminium.
    Looking at my rocker/sill, the corrosion holes all align to these contact points with the heatshield.
    Interesting on the recall, mines a one owner California car so maybe the original owner didn't take up the offer as at the time it was okay, but now 27 yrs late I'm picking up the bill

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Okay, as a Viper virgin, can anyone of you experienced guys tell me if this foil sticker is original on the inside of my 94 hood please?

heat shield.jpg

It looks to have been cut out really badly with jagged scissor edges & stuck down on the surface with lumps & creases

I have tried a google search and seen a similar used hood for sale with this same aluminium foil sticker but equally lots of images of hoods open without it?

I'm planning on repainting the inside of the hood during the current repairs and want to put things back to stock

Thanks

My '93 had that foil shield in the same place. I think perhaps in '95 they went to the embossed Sneaky Pete hood pad, but it may have been '96.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Thanks Dean.

Update on the hood & rocker/sill cover

Repairs all done with minimum material

Now in primer & just finished flatting the two panels

Here's how the hood looks after wetting over to check for any defects in reflections

bonnet 4.jpg

bonnet 5.jpg

and the rocker/sill

sill 8.jpg

I also had a flat tire after 4 weeks it would go down?
    Took me a while to find it.
    The car had its original tires dated 93 on it and the two rears got changed the month before I bought the car in LA
    The leak was very small on the rim
    wheel 1.jpg
    Turned out to be tire lever damage caused by the shop which is really annoying
    Wheel 3.jpg
    Got the tire removed & repaired the damage & repainted the tire bead seat

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Repaired wheel damage, just waiting for paint to harden & I'll get the tire back on

wheel 4.jpg

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Blimey, you're not having much luck with the car are you

Great work, but I bet you didn't plan to have to do all this?
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 10-14-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Enthusiast
    I have the same problem on my rockers. I was wondering how to fix it, sounds like I need to start learning to weld aluminum. Are you going to maintain the two-tone on the rockers, black satin (sealer?) and gloss paint? If so, how do you intend to mask the black for body color? Are their dyes one can buy? On my car, the previous painter just painted the whole rocker the same color, and I want to return it to original.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Good question, yes aluminium welding is the only real way to sort out the corrosion by either drilling through & welding back up or welding in a patch piece. I plan on keeping the rockers stock, so tonight it got painted black as a whole (just like factory) and I will then mask the muffler area, lay a base coat & go color & clear.

Now the hood has been repaired and in primer, this evening I've repainted the underside with a "Raptor" product. The original paint was flaking off so its been sanded back & prepared like the top of the hood before primer then raptor coat

raptor1.jpg

raptor2.jpg

I also plan on replacing the foil heatshield but having difficulty finding a replacement foil that looks like Factory that is big enough to make a new one without a join line.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

You can just see in my hood pictures above, the front facia.
    This was scratched pretty bad on the underside from road rash, so while I'm doing the other parts I thought what the heck, I'll do the facia too
    Attachment 49488

Not wanting to add too much product onto this (its never been painted since new) I've only repaired & primed the lower section where the damage is.

Attachment 49489

Once flatted & prepared I'll key the rest & color paint as a whole with the other parts for a good color match (that the plan anyway)

VOA Member
    since 2021
    South Central Texas

Very impressive work! Keep the pics coming!

Enthusiast
    I'd love to see how you masked the rockers if you got a pic. Looking forward to seeing the completed product! I've thoroughly enjoyed keeping with this thread.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

No problem I'll post a picture of the Rocker panel tomorrow when I mask it up.

Today the final color & clearcoat got applied onto the last flatted primer
    Bonnet primer.jpg

Bonnet red 1.jpg

Bonnet red 2.jpg

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Bonnet red 3.jpg

Bonnet red 4.jpg

The hood is currently baking in the oven & later this week I plan to flat & polish it to a mirror glass finish. What you see in the pictures is just out the gun, so she'll shine even more !

Seems like it will come out perfectly! Top notch work, congrats!

Looks great. I've got an 85 corvette that could use a respray as one of the last parts of my restoration. When should I drop it off :-)

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Drop the Corvette off anytime!

Today its been flat & polish time for the hood after a couple of days drying.

Bonnet Polish 2.jpg

The whole hood was flatted with 1200 wet & dry to level out the gun finish and in the image above you can see closest the flatted area & farthest away the start of the polishing

Bonnet Polish 3.jpg

Same angle shot but after polishing

Bonnet Polish 4.jpg

Overview, trying to catch the depth of shine in the booth with an iphone isn't easy

Bonnet Polish 6.jpg

Turned out okay, but to be honest I'm going to carry on polishing on a couple of little areas to get it perfect

Awesome work man, all that hard work is paying off. I need to repaint my side sill covers. What type of intake/exhaust setup are you running in the paint booth ?

After all that amazing work - I just hope the paint matches!
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Darren clearly you are a Professional, great quality work!

Fantastic results! But won't you go crazy when driving it again on the road with such perfect paint? ;-)

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Haha, yeah the first stone chip is going to really hurt, but hey, you gotta drive the thing.

Anyway, today I started to build up the car & got the Hood & front facia back on

paint 5.jpg

It was the first chance to see how good the color match really was. I'd done like 12 spray out cards with different coat numbers and base colors (white, grey, black) just to check for the best match. its under artificial light in these pictures which shows any mis-match real easy on Red paint

paint 4.jpg

paint 3.jpg

I think its an almost perfect match, which was a big relief!

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

One great test that the paintless dent & dink guys do is use a stripe board to check reflections in a panel to see if they've got a dent fixed.
    We have a roller shutter door that reflects these lines so its a great test of the repairs on the hood after digging out all that bondo.
    zoom in & check out those reflection contour lines over the hood repairs, I think I got a good result.
    paint 1.jpg
    paint 2.jpg

Got a little more polishing to do on the front facia (its too flexible to polish effectively off the car) then finish the Rocker cover & we're done

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by GRglasser View Post
    I have the same problem on my rockers. I was wondering how to fix it, sounds like I need to start learning to weld aluminum. Are you going to maintain the two-tone on the rockers, black satin (sealer?) and gloss paint? If so, how do you intend to mask the black for body color? Are their dyes one can buy? On my car, the previous painter just painted the whole rocker the same color, and I want to return it to original.
    The Rockers were painted Satin Black over the primer (like Factory)
    Then I used a fine line tape to mark the shape & edge to body color

Rocker mask 2.jpg
    rocker mask 1.jpg

The satin black was fully masked off then the remainder was sanded with wet & dry to key the surface before painting Red

Rocker red 1.jpg
    Rocker Red 2.jpg

VOA Member
    since 2021
    United Kingdom

Then after un masking and a couple of days for the paint to cure, the red was hand flatted and polished to a mirror finish

sill 12.jpg

sill 13.jpg

Then I bought some clear stone protective film about 2ft square and made templates of the 3 clear stone guards (using my drivers rocker film as a template, because it was still intact)
    Then fitted them with a film solution to slide into place and squeezed out the fluid & air for a neat fix

sill 11.jpg
    sill 9.jpg

All I need to do now is re-rivet the stainless heatshield back onto the inside of the rocker panel & I can get it fitted back on the car

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Crossroads of America

Such excellent excellent work!!!

Very talented, you are!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast