Flush Mount Recessed Drive on Scissors Lift

Anyone look into one of these?

When down, the ramps are flush with the floor as if you have no lift.

You drive car on ramps, they come up and your car is in the air like in a 4 post drive on.

I don't have room for a conventional lift.

Problem I see is that a 4000+Kg lift is something like $10k but that was the only one I found. It is way too heavy, need only 5000# or even $4000. "Alignment" lifts may fall under this category but are hyper expensive.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    You'll find better information here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Here's someone that retrofitted one into an existing slab: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...nstall.383717/

And here's what a new construction build looks like: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ilings.465007/

The Atlas lift in the first one is bigger than you need, but it's around $5,500-ish from a quick search.

The problem I see is that there will likely be lots of other costs with something like this. That lift has a 2,000 lbs shipping weight, so that's coming truck freight, and since I'm guessing you are doing this at your house, you'll need a lift gate for residential delivery. The lift requires a 240V circuit with a 30-amp breaker, so hopefully you have enough room left in your service panel to accommodate. Assuming this is a retrofit of an existing slab, you'll be breaking up concrete, digging holes, putting in stone for a base, making forms, and pouring new concrete.

If I had to guess, you'll be in this at least double what the lift costs in labor and materials.

Would be a really cool project though.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Steve M, Thanks for the leads.

if i bot any kind of lift, it would definitely be a drive on - I totally hate crawling around with my head on the floor trying to see where to put the lift arms on a low ground clearance car.

I knew a guy that had a 4 post and it really appealed to me: If he needed to take a wheel off, he had little mini "floor jacks" that he would use on the ramps. Since the ramp was elevated, it was EZ to position the jacks.

However, the flush mount scissors although not a drive on is quite appealing because it totally "disappears" into the floor. That is a huge feature. But the price for that is very high and not attractive since only a compromise since not a drive on.

A 4-post is problematic:

• I'd have to disassemble the lift to get in the garage. Assembling inside the garage would be tight - the garage is 24 x 18 w/2' of shelving/benches along all of the walls.
    • I could put 2 posts right at the wall where the garage door is - the other posts would then be in the garage floor area - might not be that bad of an obstruction, but definitely an obstruction.
    • There would be issues with the overhead garage door which has a low head clearance track on it. I could probably keep the ramps up so they were just under the door. Or I would have to make new higher tracks for the door.
    • I could also put it outside w/casters on pylons and put a car port type roof on it. Zoning might come after me, but maybe not.

Robotic Lift: Haha, I'd really like to design and build one with robotic lift arms:

• At the control console, there would be a joystick and a monitor.
    • Joystick used to position the lift pads. It would automatically adjust the angle and extension of the arms - the joy stick would be like controlling a drone w/GPS.
    • There would be cameras mounted in the lift pad and from the sides so you could see exactly where you were under the car.
    • There would be a selector that would switch joystick control to each of the 4 lift arms.
    • For a couple thousand more, I think it would sell like Hot Cakes.

And then there's the fact that I'm 69 and all that money would pay for a lot of repairs.

Also, the discontinued Harbor Freight T-handle low profile jack was maybe the best jack for the money ($139) because it also had 24 inch lift. I think the jack head was 2-7/8" high and low enough for a Viper. Humm... maybe having 2 of them would have been the way to go w/Viper. You cannot find a used one for sale unless the owner died. There are other equivalent jacks for $300 and there is a $500 one that has i believe 32" lift.

I originally bot the HF jack for the low clearance but quickly discover the LIFT was what made that jack fantastic.

Here is MAX JAX which some people have.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ydhg...732103.jpg?c=2

A less expensive possible alternative would be to build a short platform to drive onto with a void tailored to fit the floor lift. You could do 2-by's with plywood deck, and all sorts of options for the surface. Or, light structural angle/channel and flat or diamond plate cover. It all depends on budget and whether you will ever move.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!