Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Georgia
    FYI, when the new member is joining VOA, there's a spot to mentioned who recommended him. That person then will receive a $25 VOA gift card. So be sure to bring it up to your president to look into any recommendations you made and was referenced that no gift was sent.
    FE #181

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

This is from the Corvette club of America website...
    A newsletter ( Not an expensive magazine)
    Dues are $50 a year ( more members so I get the revenue issues)
    Maybe we can get FCA on board with some discount days on merchandise, parts,etc
    We had the Viper Cafe until the WPC museum closed.

Again, I believe the regional clubs is where it is at for gatherings and the best bang for the buck. Maybe a national oversight club that hosts a Viper event every 2 years, does a monthly newsletter would work and save costs.

Membership Benefits
    official CCA membership card
    CCA sponsor, Sport Chevrolet gives members 10% off labor & 20% off parts for Corvettes
    CCA sponsor, Radial Tire Company offers great discounts on tires for all of your cars
    monthly newsletters
    monthly business meetings at restaurants in central Maryland - enjoy dinner and great discussion
    monthly shop nights at Sport Chevrolet - do-it-yourself minor maintenance/repairs - technical expertise and advice
    competitive events - autocross ($5 discounts for members at CCA autocross events), HPDE and track days, and go-karting
    social events - awards dinners, lunch and dinner cruises, picnics, parties, and cookouts
    outside events - Corvettes at Carlisle, Ocean City Corvette Weekend, Nat'l Corvette Museum, Corvette Racing, HPDE
    philanthropy & charities - National Corvette Museum and Motorsports Park, UMD Mechanical Engineering Endowment, CaringMatters, Wells/Robertson House, Toys-for-Tots, Bikes for Tykes
    CCA-branded merchandise available for purchase - shirts, hats, pins, patches, car decals
    CCA License Plate
    CCA license plates - contact the license plate tag leader at license_platesvette-club.org

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Szeszko02GTSGA View Post
    FYI, when the new member is joining VOA, there's a spot to mentioned who recommended him. That person then will receive a $25 VOA gift card. So be sure to bring it up to your president to look into any recommendations you made and was referenced that no gift was sent.
    I have encouraged lot of people to join but am not interested in making money for myself, Its about the club not me.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    The main reasons I am a Mamba member is because of the Magazine.. I actually like to hold a magazine when reading. The Mag is top notch in my opinion!!!
    If they yank the physical magazine, there is not much left for me.
    Last edited by daveg; 10-04-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    The main reasons I am a Mamba member is because of the Magazine.. I actually like to hold a magazine when reading. The Mag is top notch in my opinion!!!
    If they yank the physical magazine, there is not much left for me.
    Dave,

I like the magizine also, but not at the current cost. Would you be willing to pay an extra $100.00 or more (and we don't know the breakdown of the cost). If we have 700 Mamba members who are willing to pay $100.00 extra that would be an addition $70K for the club. That would mean that the projected (realistically) 1400 VOA membership would be 50% Mamba members. As of now, and for the past 4-5 years the club CANNOT afford $140K magizine. I would rather see the club without a magazine (even without a on-line version, if it meant we can keep the club as it was, just without the magazine. Are we putting the magazine as a higher prioity than the club. Again, I would like to see what the cost would be to make an on-line version, I imagine its still going to be in the very high 6 figures. A very hard questions needs to be asked...how important is the magizine. Is it enought to highly increase (more thn what the already announced) the amount for Mamba members, Risk the future of the club exisitence, have the club incure an additional $82K in intrest payments. Or is it a paycheck for one person (Maurice). Any person who has own their own company knows the answer to this question, one very small part of a company that is not required should not bring down the entire company. I would love to see how the decision to keep the printed magazine was determined, when they have already stated a smaller printed copy is going to cost a lot more. Also, how are they going to allow members to purchase a printed copy. Are they going to guess at how many would want a printed copy, are they going to require those that want a hard copy to pay in advance. A lot of questions that they should have already have answers for prior to now if they already voted to keep the magazine. It would be nice to know how much thought went it to-Not for them to say a lot of thought but the actual cost breakdown. One last final thought - When I was the regional presidents a strongly opposed several things the club was spending money on (NVEs & Magazine) during the presidents group calls, I received several phone calls from other regional presidents asking why I was so inquisitive (nice way of saying it) and that I was down right disrespectable towards Maurice. This is the reason we are in the financial shape we are in noone whats to ask the hard questions. We have not treated the club's money as our own. If we had, we would be in a whole lot better shape. I think there should be a entire membership vote on how to handle the magazine, as it has shown in the past the region presidents (as the board members) are not doing to well.....

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    I'm one of those who like the magazine and prefer a hard copy. However I think most like me would be fine with getting 2 a year and not quarterly, especially if that made it cheaper and kept it going. With that said. We know alot of people are in the club just for the magazine. If we go digital, isn't that it's just a file, that can be copied and shared to whoever. Couldn't one of them just get club member friend to send them a copy.
    98 GTS (sold)
    14 GTS (sold)
    06 coupe (sold)
    17 GTC

VOA Member
    since 2013
    I do not recall any responses from those in the know regarding a detailed breakdown of magazine expenditures and revenue. Given the magazine appears to be the single largest ongoing expense for the national club, and decisions regarding it should be made with a full understanding of it. Questions have been asked by several members in several different ways, again unanswered.

Could we get a breakdown of magazine related costs including, but not limited to:
    Expenses including:
    Editor and other content related expenses (including both direct VOA and second/third party)
    Printing
    Collating and binding
    Internal shipping, if any
    Handling
    Shipping materials
    Shipping and postage

Revenue including:
    Advertising revenue to VOA
    Advertising revenue to a second/third party
    Magazine sales (external)

It would be great to understand the volume relationships of the expenses and revenues at the current volume of 1700 and at a second lower volume based on Mamba only forecasts.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaViper View Post
    Dave,

...One last final thought - When I was the regional presidents a strongly opposed several things the club was spending money on (NVEs & Magazine) during the presidents group calls, I received several phone calls from other regional presidents asking why I was so inquisitive (nice way of saying it) and that I was down right disrespectable towards Maurice. This is the reason we are in the financial shape we are in noone whats to ask the hard questions. ....
    That would be discouraging if true. Maurice is the only line item other than generic "printing" costs based on the info our region has been provided on the budget. This is what was sent:

Magazine.png

And this for related income (not clear if that second line has any relationship to the magazine or not - seems like not since VQ is split out):

Income.png
    Last edited by Thawk97; 10-04-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by vipersrt View Post
    i do not recall any responses from those in the know regarding a detailed breakdown of magazine expenditures and revenue. Given the magazine appears to be the single largest ongoing expense for the national club, and decisions regarding it should be made with a full understanding of it. Questions have been asked by several members in several different ways, again unanswered.

Could we get a breakdown of magazine related costs including, but not limited to:
    expenses including:
    editor and other content related expenses (including both direct voa and second/third party)
    printing
    collating and binding
    internal shipping, if any
    handling
    shipping materials
    shipping and postage

revenue including:
    advertising revenue to voa
    advertising revenue to a second/third party
    magazine sales (external)

it would be great to understand the volume relationships of the expenses and revenues at the current volume of 1700 and at a second lower volume based on mamba only forecasts.
    we need the answer to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sublime Pearl ACRRRR
    M&M Performance

VOA Member
    since 2019

Am I missing something... Maurice is Paid 60K a year to put the magazine together?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Thawk97 View Post
    That would be discouraging if true. This is what was sent:

Magazine.png

And this for related income (not clear if that second line has any relationship to the magazine or not - seems like not since VQ is split out):

Income.png
    Unfortunately it was true. Based on this type of thinking by some region presidents and lack of National Officers listening is the main reason why I only did two years as region president. Had many calls to Alex and other National officer and never received explanations that explained their actions/decisions. I guess as a new Viper owner and didn’t have a length history with either VCA or VOA my questions were not relevant.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by stevert View Post
    Am I missing something... Maurice is Paid 60K a year to put the magazine together?
    $30k - (3rd column is a total of first 2)

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thawk97 View Post
    $30k - (3rd column is a total of first 2)
    Looking at the past years history it shows $40,000 per year, or $10k per issue. 2021 was revised to show 3 issues, thus the $30k total.

Still need more detail as requested above to see the full picture.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    I have encouraged lot of people to join but am not interested in making money for myself, Its about the club not me.
    I have had this a few times and although its a great idea for us this side of the Pond its not viable with import taxes and shipping so i have unfortunately never used them But as mark says above its more support and involvement for the club..
    Support Tators Garage
    09 solid white HardCore ACR
    Baz

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020

Quote Originally Posted by braunstein82 View Post
    I'm one of those who like the magazine and prefer a hard copy. However I think most like me would be fine with getting 2 a year and not quarterly, especially if that made it cheaper and kept it going. With that said. We know alot of people are in the club just for the magazine. If we go digital, isn't that it's just a file, that can be copied and shared to whoever. Couldn't one of them just get club member friend to send them a copy.
    I agree 100%. I do like the magazines a lot, and I collect automobilia. Which means I own a lot of Viper diecast and resine models, I own a bunch of memorabilia in regard of the TV show, and I'm even one of those members who ordered some older VQ magazines for my collection. I would also be totally fine with only two printed magazines a year. In regard of a possible digital magazine: if this is on the table, you can also just drop it. It's like newsletters; if you're honest with yourself, you delete at least 90% of newsletters the second you see them in your inbox. Also, they can be exchanged - unless you publish them on the forums, only to be seen when logged in.

As I work in marketing and have created magazines and catalogues for many years for an international company, I know a bit about this stuff. Some insights from my perspective, if I may:
    • Printing costs are a huge issue, everywhere (unless you print in places like China, but let's not go there!).
    • The price for paper can change on a daily basis, and effects like "gloss" or "special finishes" add A LOT to the bill.
    • Then, another cost factor is if you print "offset" or "digital" - I'd be interested to know this in regard of the QV magazine. With "offset", you receive great results in quality, but you need to create the templates (which are expensive, especially if the printing quantity is low).
    • In terms of "desk work" - meaning combining content, arranging photos and creating a printable PDF - that's not the big issue. If you have a template (which surely exists for the VQ), it's just exchanging photos and text, basically. Sure, you still need to make sure it looks good, change some wording for paragraphs to fit and so on. It's many hours in the end, but to me, not that big of a deal.
    • But what's REALLY expensive, is "creating content". With all due respect, and of course not knowing how it's really done, THAT'S where the big expenses start to show - next to printing of course. I can absolutely understand if Maurice get's paid for trips to create content and take pictures. It's one thing to do the desk work at home, but as soon as you need to factor in travel expenses (and the U.S. is a BIG country), it adds up quickly. And who would want a lousy magazine? Quality costs...
    • From my own experience: even if regions, presidents or other members "promise" to send in stuff for the magazine (in an effort to maybe decrease costs massively), it won't work. You have deadlines, and what hardly works within a company, surely won't work with many individuals doing this in their spare time. Or at least not in a way as to have a quarterly or twice-a-year magazine with usable content.

One other "democratic idea" that crossed my mind: why not send out a newsletter with a link to a voting platform, where members - Standard and Mamba - put in their VOA number and decide on whether they want a printed magazine or not. In the end, it's the members who pay for the VOA, so they should have the saying. Then the club knows if the biggest cost driver is still wanted or not?
    1998 Viper GTS | 2017 Shelby GT350

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    It would be a shame to come up with all that content and pictures and put them in a digital format (probably wouldn't even read it). There is nothing better than getting up in the AM with a cup of coffee and sitting on the couch and reading the Mag on that beautiful paper!

Recently I sent out a an older VQ (Winter 2015 Volume 2 Issue 3) to someone who was looking for it because he has one of the 53 '97 blue with white stripes rt/10's that was featured in it. What do you think he would prefer, a digital or hard copy of that?
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Georgia
    I understand, you could always pass it along to the new member as a welcome gift.
    FE #181

Regional Vice President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Being a international region is there any negotiation on package deals for us and any other International region ?? cheaper magazine, I know it’s very high quality but does it need to be??

The $25 referral voucher for signing up members (I’ve had two) unfortunately doesn’t work for us due to Shipping and duty so the membership voucher would be the same .. Also we don’t get the full use of the benefits being so far away , I fully understand moving with the times and price increases as it would be the first since the start of the VOA, But for most (UK) the magazine is the main item we receive along with our membership cards and to have to pay that much more just to get two soft copy's seems a little off ..

Some here have been members since the start myself included and some moved over from VCA . I have been a member since 2001 and have enjoyed supporting and taking part in a few of the Major NVE’s (myself two of them) unfortunately we was unable to gain access to the USA this year from Great Britain …
    Support Tators Garage
    09 solid white HardCore ACR
    Baz

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Georgia
    I'll bring it up at our next presidents meeting regarding how International regions may need to be addressed differently.
    FE #181

VOA Member
    since 2019

Gotcha,
    All I saw was the one screen cap with no years , just columns with expenses

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Arizona
    Would have never expected this situation with the new club.

Would have never, ever expected the TOTAL LACK OF TRANSPARENCY being shown by the answers - or lack of answers.

The hiding of the true situation that was presented in the renewal email is totally unacceptable.

IF you want many of us to rejoin and trust the organization again - FULL DISCLOSURE of all financials is required - down to the penny.

Voting for new board members should be postponed until the members can fully understand the current situation, how we got here, and what the real plan is moving forward.

PS - Who is on the hook if the $175k loan defaults?
    Last edited by Rocket; 10-05-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    2009 Vert/Coupe Rear End. Intake/Head/Exhaust. 705 crank/614 Wheels. Custom Red Drivers Stripe. ACR Splitter. KW Shocks. Plastidipped 6 spokes.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    PS - Who is on the hook if the $175k loan defaults?
    Great question.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Georgia
    in an earlier post I quoted a $25 VQ magazine cost for a print edition for STANDARD membership. I misspoke thinking currently any VQ was available at $25 when it's $17.50. I'll ask at our next meeting if it's staying at $17.50
    FE #181

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Girl View Post
    For those asking for the numbers, it's my understanding that National will be emailing 2019, 2020 & 2021 ytd to all current members this weekend.
    Did anyone receive anything?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Did anyone receive anything?
    Nope.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast