Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    Crossroads of America

What s Best Color Rear Tail Light Surround

What is everyone opinion on the best color for the rear surround, black or body color?
    Does either choice take away from the lines of the Viper?

2020 Land Rover Defender Fuji White HSE P400 full explorer pack! 2020 SVO Range Rover Autobiography Spectral Blue Chromaflair 2014 Stryker Green GTS Viper (every option!) all carbon fiber interior and TA exterior, 2014 Range Rover Aintree green Autobiography,

Carbon fiber exposed weave.. yum

Depends on the car. I like the black and CF. The body color doesn't hurt anything I just think the contrast color adds a lot more.

IMG_20210717_130912574_HDR~2.jpg
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

I thought about going carbon but just decided I liked the cleaner look better.

Plus the previous owner painted the surrounds of the tail lights, and I really like it.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded &2011 Lexus GX460: Daily

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    Depends on the car. I like the black and CF. The body color doesn't hurt anything I just think the contrast color adds a lot more.

IMG_20210717_130912574_HDR~2.jpg
    Do you have a side pic with that carbon rear brake vent on the black. I can’t decide if I want to pay the 2k those cost now on my black car. You happy with the look? Sometimes in the sun they look so grey I can’t decide if I like it over the black.

On lighter colors, the black or carbon rear applique really breaks up the rear end. I like mine in carbon.1O6A1354 cropped.jpg
    Brad Williams
    2015 Competition Blue SRT - DSC Suspension - TA1 Aero - StopTech's - SW2's with Corsas, Hummer H1, E92 M3, BMW R1200GS Rallye, Ducati 999S, etc

50/50. Depends on the car, paint job, stripes/no stripes, etc. With that said, carbon fiber weave taillight surround will always be my favorite

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Crossroads of America
    Decided to go with black versus body color.

2E2A7A6C-64CE-44DB-BD75-D54F5C456D2E.jpg

Will post pic once done.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Mid-South (AR/LA/MS)
    I don't think there is a wrong answer for this. I have body colored.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by chris_lee View Post
    Do you have a side pic with that carbon rear brake vent on the black. I can’t decide if I want to pay the 2k those cost now on my black car. You happy with the look? Sometimes in the sun they look so grey I can’t decide if I like it over the black.

I'll be damned. That's the one kind of pic I don't have but I have one kinda close. The color of my car is actually Gunmetal Pearl. It does stand out but not sure $2k is justified. lol To me it looks good and ties in with the rear spoiler. That being said unless the black ones are not the same black as the actual black paint on the body I'd consider buying the CF. I still have the black ones and I had them out for a comparison and prefer the CF on m car.

IMG_20210715_202504803.jpg
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Enthusiast
    NOT color matched.
    2017 White GTS 1/2 No stripes

I replaced my black applique with carbon. Which means I have a spare black one sitting in a box if anyone is interested. No idea what the value of this is so I'd have to research that if someone is interested.
    Blake

2016 1 of 1 Viper GTC Prefix 9.0 Stroker Stage 2 Arrow

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    I ordered mine with color matched, as it was the only time I could get a factory matched tail light surround, possibly the only SSG one?

I ordered a CF one from the dealer before the car was even done. The CF panel is still sitting in the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 SSG ACR Hardcore 1 of 1 before it was cool

2017 SSG ACR-eXtreme 1 of 1 after it was cool

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    I ordered mine with color matched, as it was the only time I could get a factory matched tail light surround, possibly the only SSG one?

I ordered a CF one from the dealer before the car was even done. The CF panel is still sitting in the box.
    Such a sweet ride!
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

Love the CF, its one of my fav pieces on the car. I think body color works on some colors. Piano black is easy. Can't go wrong with either of the 3.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

2015 Competition Blue Viper
    Instagram: Ba7ranii

I must be in the minority. I really love CF, but I don't like big pieces in carbon. Just accent pieces. Hood vents, interior pieces, side skirts, splitter, etc. Also, carbon looks gray from a distance.
    My wing is exposed carbon and I would rather it be black with matching stripes. Not enough to paint it, but I'd prefer it. If I had a solid car, I'd probably paint it black and have "VIPER" unpainted/carbon like Porsche does.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded &2011 Lexus GX460: Daily

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    I guess it could be any color you want

Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post

Top 3 best cars ever done, right there with the SSG/silver stripes and brass monkey wheels!!!

And I have to say that the GTSR blue with silver stripes next to is not half bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    I must be in the minority. I really love CF, but I don't like big pieces in carbon. Just accent pieces. Hood vents, interior pieces, side skirts, splitter, etc. Also, carbon looks gray from a distance.
    My wing is exposed carbon and I would rather it be black with matching stripes. Not enough to paint it, but I'd prefer it. If I had a solid car, I'd probably paint it black and have "VIPER" unpainted/carbon like Porsche does.
    I'm with you. Carbon looks too grey to me. I like contrast on car trim, and black paint is far more "contrasty" than carbon.

Plus, any exterior carbon on a car that's been in the sun too much starts looking like a weird brown/grey color. Just take a look at older Corvettes with the exposed carbon roof panels. Even with GM's supposed UV clearcoat, they become quite light in color over time.

IMO, carbon works far better in the interior where it appears much darker and does not seem to discolor as badly.
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 10-08-2021 at 12:18 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    ACRucrazy….your car is stunning! Love that you got the body color rear panel. You can always swap in a carbon fibre panel, but you are right it can only be factory painted once as you stated. Absolutely stunning!
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

1) Carbon Weave
    2) Black
    3) Body Color
    2009 VBB ACR

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Crossroads of America

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014