Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    South Central Texas

Thermostat housing bleeder screw

Hey all, i realize this topic usually ends with people mentioning its not worth removing. I was able to successfully remove mine by using a 1/4 drive extension and grinding it down for a tight fit and simply unscrewing it (with quite a bit of force).

I'd like to replace it with an actual valve to allow easy bleeding of the air that is trapped. Does anyone have a recommended part? I see a few mentioned 1/8 npt fittings work perfectly, but would like to see if anyone has an exclusive part they can recommend that allows easy hookup of a hose to catch coolant runoff from opening the valve.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    I have always use the top hose on both of mine. Fill up reservoir until I see fluid in top hose. Reconnect and fill reservoir. Repeat 2-3 times and 1-2 times after drives. Three times in last two years without a problem. Crack the housing and then there are issues...I hear.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Jeff - I looked into that myself and was equipped with a few brass fittings to do it. However, the intake balance runner is just too close to the OD of the plug hole to get a 1/8" pipe nipple installed.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
    Hey all, i realize this topic usually ends with people mentioning its not worth removing. I was able to successfully remove mine by using a 1/4 drive extension and grinding it down for a tight fit and simply unscrewing it (with quite a bit of force).

I'd like to replace it with an actual valve to allow easy bleeding of the air that is trapped. Does anyone have a recommended part? I see a few mentioned 1/8 npt fittings work perfectly, but would like to see if anyone has an exclusive part they can recommend that allows easy hookup of a hose to catch coolant runoff from opening the valve.
    I used a Lisle spill free funnel on my GEN II. Worked great! Ill be doing that again here soon. Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel, Standard Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY...ABRPVGPN41NKSV
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

Roe Racing Upper Radiator Hose Bleeder. Isn’t this easier?
    They’re coming to get you Barbara.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper GTS-R View Post
    ^^^ this. Duh.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

A coolant vacuum bleeder will fill the system without requiring any aftermarket modifications/butchery.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    South Central Texas

Probably, but.. i already had the housing off the engine along with the heads. Was attempting to make things a bit easier after re-install for later servicing, but sounds like there isnt enough clearance with the intake manifold.
    Also, there is the fact that cutting the radiator hose and inserting a piece of pipe with more clamps just isn't something i want to do. To each their own though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    Jeff - I looked into that myself and was equipped with a few brass fittings to do it. However, the intake balance runner is just too close to the OD of the plug hole to get a 1/8" pipe nipple installed.
    Dang, thought maybe there would be enough room. Well, good to know now rather that after i've installed it and go to put the intake manifold back on later.
    Last edited by Lunchbox; 10-12-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Dean said nipple

Just thinking out loud. Tap into the thermostat housing with one of these 1/8" https://www.saf-air.com/products/fuel-valves.html or https://www.saf-air.com/products/oil-valves.html

That's an interesting potential solution. I believe our cooling systems run about 17psi and these fuel units are rated to 60psi.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 10-13-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 71firebird400 View Post
    A coolant vacuum bleeder will fill the system without requiring any aftermarket modifications/butchery.
    Anybody that has work done on their car and the end result is "butchery" as you call it, they should sue the moron mechanic that did the work. A real mechanic uses craftsmanship in his work and the end result is never "butchery."
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]

Exactly and they are FAA certified, hence; a little bit more expensive then your $5 plumbing store.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    South Central Texas

Quote Originally Posted by goggles Pizano View Post
    Dean said nipple

Just thinking out loud. Tap into the thermostat housing with one of these 1/8" https://www.saf-air.com/products/fuel-valves.html or https://www.saf-air.com/products/oil-valves.html
    Some of these fittings look promising! I cant really chime in too much because my engine is all apart on my end so i have no way to check clearance or a visual to see how much room there really is and i'm not to that point just yet of being able to re-assemble.

If anyone else is able to share a picture of this area to give a visual representation of what space there is that would be great and very appreciated.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
    Some of these fittings look promising! I cant really chime in too much because my engine is all apart on my end so i have no way to check clearance or a visual to see how much room there really is and i'm not to that point just yet of being able to re-assemble.

If anyone else is able to share a picture of this area to give a visual representation of what space there is that would be great and very appreciated.
    If you've had your heads decked and intake machined clearance becomes a YUGE issue. I'll take a pic of my housing area but I have no room near the existing bleeder screw. Truth be told, since using the Lisle funnel this is a non-issue for me.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 01sapphirebob View Post
    I used a Lisle spill free funnel on my GEN II. Worked great! Ill be doing that again here soon. Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel, Standard Adapters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY...ABRPVGPN41NKSV
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    Truth be told, since using the Lisle funnel this is a non-issue for me.
    Same here. What I liked about using this was that I could see the air as it was being expelled, bit by bit until no more came out, along with squeezing the upper hose. It gave me a good feeling that the air had been purged. I realize that the system should self purge without this; but, I liked having that confirmation right when completing the job. I think that some wise guy on the Viper forum suggested this method well over a decade ago !
    Jim

Only thing I haven't check is the galvanic reaction voltage delta between the dissimilar metals.

I should be able to put my intake back on this weekend (with any luck). I should be able to get you a measurement if you still need it. Question though, do you have the thermostat housing that has a hose going to the top or is it smooth? Mine has the heater hose going to the top which is going to make that measurement quite a bit different than those with the flat top housing.

My housing:
    engine.jpg

The other style housing (which I bought and cleaned up not knowing their were two different versions):
    housing 2.jpg
    Last edited by 98RedGTS; 10-13-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Anybody that has work done on their car and the end result is "butchery" as you call it, they should sue the moron mechanic that did the work. A real mechanic uses craftsmanship in his work and the end result is never "butchery."
    Chopping your radiator hose in half cause you don't own the proper tools to work on your car = butchery.

Chopping your radiator hose in half cause you don't own the proper tools to work on your car = butchery.
    If cutting a rad hose is butchery then my engine is massacred!

BB0B4E69-7E67-44DF-8C55-6DFBF2F7FFD8.jpeg

Man I miss the old days when we used to discuss our actual enjoyment of using our cars, not all the posers nowadays with garage queens.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 71firebird400 View Post
    That post is so stupid you don't even deserve a participation trophy.

We do know how to work on our cars. You are obviously just having a meltdown because we don't have garage queenies like those that think wrenching is wrong. Like you.

If you weren't such a modification sensitive cupcake you'd wake up to the fact that the actual highest vent point in the Gen 2 cooling system is where the Roe bleeder goes. Not where the factory t-stat housing plug is.

Thanks for entertaining the forum with your meltdown bro.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]

Hard not having a garage queen when you can't get parts necessary to actually drive the car :-( (Says the guy waiting 4 months now for a damn waterpump)

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox
    Quote Originally Posted by 98RedGTS View Post
    I should be able to put my intake back on this weekend (with any luck). I should be able to get you a measurement if you still need it. Question though, do you have the thermostat housing that has a hose going to the top or is it smooth? Mine has the heater hose going to the top which is going to make that measurement quite a bit different than those with the flat top housing.

My housing:
    engine.jpg
    Lunchbox: Here's a photo of my '96 from directly above. It has the flat top like 98Red shows.

98Red: I've been having a very involved conversation with a former Chrysler engine/powertrain engineer about PCV operation. I saw your pic yesterday and compared it to my 98 parts car. You should NOT have a PCV valve in your system. 98+ Gen2s came with a brass orifice in the plastic tee that branches to both sides of the intake behind the TB's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    If cutting a rad hose is butchery then my engine is massacred!

BB0B4E69-7E67-44DF-8C55-6DFBF2F7FFD8.jpeg

Man I miss the old days when we used to discuss our actual enjoyment of using our cars, not all the posers nowadays with garage queens.
    Love that!

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    That post is so stupid you don't even deserve a participation trophy.

We do know how to work on our cars. You are obviously just having a meltdown because we don't have garage queenies like those that think wrenching is wrong. Like you.

If you weren't such a modification sensitive cupcake you'd wake up to the fact that the actual highest vent point in the Gen 2 cooling system is where the Roe bleeder goes. Not where the factory t-stat housing plug is.

Thanks for entertaining the forum with your meltdown bro.
    Just opening your eyes to the fact that professional mechanic tools exist that don't require you to chop your radiator hose in half. But if that floats your boat, then by all means keep cutting your hoses in half.

Love that!
    Yeah, me too! But it seems that is a worthless butchered car now. Too bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast