VOA Member
    since 2020
    Indiana/Kentucky

No crank no start

This is basically a post to log the issue and resolution when I cross that line.

As the title states, no crank no start on a '98. Car went on lift and sat for 2, maybe 3 weeks. I did not plug in the tender so I assumed dead battery. Plugged in and returned 24 hours later- still nothing. Pulled battery to have it tested. 2 year old battery tested fine and had plenty of juice. Removed starter to have it tested. Ended up having to redneck test it because my parts box stores flat out suck. Drive did not extend when power was supplied to solenoid. Order new/used starter. Install new/used starter and still no crank no start.

Starter relay clicks, which tells me that the ignition switch and safety switch on the clutch is giving the signal that everything is ready to run.

Attempt to bump the starter while on vehicle. As outlined in the repair manual, jump prong #87 of starter relay socket to aux power post- easy enough. Not only did the starter not bump but it locked the keys in the car...and of course I have my spare in there too lol I'm an idiot.

POA- have dealership cut another key, put car back together and send to local viper tech. At this point I am inclined to think there is something funky going on on the back of the PDC or a bad wire from the PDC to the battery. But then again I could be totally wrong. I just hope nothing of great importance got fried somehow. It literally ran perfect weeks before when I had it out last.

Then the question of how I get it to the shop comes up. Do I attempt to push start it and anticipate that doesn't work? How does one get it on a tow truck when the car doesn't come with factory tow hooks?

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    Talk with Steve-Indy?

He is my goto all the way from Virginia.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperenvy View Post
    Talk with Steve-Indy?

He is my goto all the way from Virginia.
    Absolutely I did. He is my first call when I am out of ideas. He agrees with my opinions listed above.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    There are a couple of more questions/steps if you feel like fooling with them.

By the way, what is the battery voltage when off tender for several hours?

A "proper" rollback driver will have a soft harness that has "R" hooks attached...which will fit into the designated oval frame holes used as tie-downs.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    There are a couple of more questions/steps if you feel like fooling with them.

By the way, what is the battery voltage when off tender for several hours?

A "proper" rollback driver will have a soft harness that has "R" hooks attached...which will fit into the designated oval frame holes used as tie-downs.
    Ehhh I’m not sure. It’s been plugged in for days now. What other steps have you got in mind?

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Welp, looks like I need to get handy with a volt-meter. My father is exceptional with one so I'm going to have him show me the ropes once again as we undertake further diag.