questions about inside rearview mirror

so I bought my 2000 RT/10 about 3 months ago, and I just learned today that I only have a universal rearview mirror inside. I always wondered how to activate my inside lights cause I had none (wasn't an issue 99% of time as I rarily drove at night, but when I did I had no inside light when first opening the doors). Anyways, today I learned why. As I was driving the wire running from the roof area to the mirror feel. Upon closer look I found it was just hanging behind the mirror cause it is just a basic universal mirror with no light or other electronics.

So I did a little googling and see the oem mirror in fact did have a light to it along with 2 switches. I assume the lights go on when you furst open the door, and the switches allow for them to be turned on manually

so my questions:

1) were all mirrors from 92-02 the same, or did they change over the years
    2) are the mirrors the same for the rt and gts, or again are they unique for these 2 models
    3) did dodge use a off the shelf mirror which maybe was used in other vehicles - if so can someone provide me the compatible models and years.
    4) if they are unique for the viper, does anyone have a spare for sale, or know where the cheapest on-line store to buy.

Thanks

My ‘98 GTS has a “regular” mirror. It has only the day/night flipper and no wires. The inside lights are in the headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post
    My ‘98 GTS has a “regular” mirror. It has only the day/night flipper and no wires. The inside lights are in the headliner.
    The mirror on the 2000 RT/10 does indeed have the light built in. Different than the GTS.
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

Just thought to search ebay and found and bought this one - the description says it is from a 2001 RT/10. The pic is bad but from the various googling I did it does look like the correct one for a RT/10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25079492046...YAAOxy79VRdjho

Quote Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
    so I bought my 2000 RT/10 about 3 months ago, and I just learned today that I only have a universal rearview mirror inside. I always wondered how to activate my inside lights cause I had none (wasn't an issue 99% of time as I rarily drove at night, but when I did I had no inside light when first opening the doors). Anyways, today I learned why. As I was driving the wire running from the roof area to the mirror feel. Upon closer look I found it was just hanging behind the mirror cause it is just a basic universal mirror with no light or other electronics.

So I did a little googling and see the oem mirror in fact did have a light to it along with 2 switches. I assume the lights go on when you furst open the door, and the switches allow for them to be turned on manually

so my questions:

1) were all mirrors from 92-02 the same, or did they change over the years
    2) are the mirrors the same for the rt and gts, or again are they unique for these 2 models
    3) did dodge use a off the shelf mirror which maybe was used in other vehicles - if so can someone provide me the compatible models and years.
    4) if they are unique for the viper, does anyone have a spare for sale, or know where the cheapest on-line store to buy.

Thanks
    The mirrors are different. The GTS has no light. The mirrors are the same for all RT/10 Vipers from 1992 through 2002. The part # is 04643256. I have a NOS one in the box if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELBYVIPER View Post
    The mirrors are different. The GTS has no light. The mirrors are the same for all RT/10 Vipers from 1992 through 2002. The part # is 04643256. I have a NOS one in the box if you are interested.
    thanks for the clarification and offer. I would buy yours but I already yesterday bought a used one of ebay. question though - there is another mirror on ebay saying it is for the viper and as a part# of 04643256CA. But this mirror has the 2 buttons on the lower front versus from all the googling I did it looks like the oem one had the buttons on the underside (bottom). maybe it is due to the one on ebay having 'ca' on the end which was a variation? do you know if all vipers got te mirror with the buttons on the bottom or did some get the front lower button version? does the one you have have the buttons on the bottom? Here is a link to the one on ebay for reference - https://www.ebay.com/itm/15332853843...QAAOSw7wFcL8Nt

EDIT - so I did more research and found that 2001-2002 Vipers (RT/10) got a different mirror (part 5008589AB) which is a 7 port plug and the buttons on the underside, and this mirror was actually very common on many other chrysler models (neon,sebring, etc,etc). Seems like the 92-2000 got the04643256CA with the buttons in the lower front.

Lucky for me the seller cancelled my ebay order cause he damaged it while removing from the car, though I would have complained and attempted to cancel if he didn't cause his listing said it was for 96-2002 vipers, and I now know the 2001-2002 will not work for the 96-00 vipers (nor the 92-95 for that matter).

Shelbyviper - I'll pm you about your mirror.

Thanks
    Last edited by DanDaMan; 11-04-2021 at 09:32 AM.