engine rebuild crossroad

Looks like I bent the number 9 connecting rod some how. I have a 2000 creampuff with drop in diamond pistons. I am debating just finding a replacement rod for the time being and throwing it back together or pulling it apart and doing compstar rods and diamond pistons.

I guess what I am really asking is does anybody have any oem rods laying around? If not I guess the choice is made for me...lol.

Contact Old School.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

just curious why the piston/rod combo is labeled as left or right? I thought the piston pins where on center...is it because of the direction the rod is connected to the piston. Since they are press fit and sold as one piece I guess....answered my own question.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    Not an expert on Viper engines but I do know Gen 3 had a 0.8 mm offset. Piston pin offset is normal as the engineers try to find the lowest energy location for the piston pin to minimize piston scuffing, piston noise and frictional losses. It would surprise me greatly if there is no offset present.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    I have pistons and rods.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

well I got lucky, looks like I only bent #9 rod. Piston looks good, rod bearing looks good, rod not so much. I have no idea what could have caused that one cylinder to do that. Since its the back cylinder I guess it ingested water some how or something that collected on that back area. I was having fuel pump issues so maybe that cylinder leaned out but there are no signs of detonation or damage.

Either way got a new set of headgaskets coming. Dan I sent you a PM. Thanks

Maybe it didn't lean out but did the opposite: It hydrolocked from too much fuel in that cylinder - leaking injector perhaps disguised as the fuel pump issues you mentioned? Was it hard to start due to no fuel at start-up? If the injector was stuck open it would have trickled all the fuel in the fuel rail into that cylinder. On start-up the piston has nowhere to go once it reaches hydrostatic lock and the rod bends as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
    Maybe it didn't lean out but did the opposite: It hydrolocked from too much fuel in that cylinder - leaking injector perhaps disguised as the fuel pump issues you mentioned? Was it hard to start due to no fuel at start-up? If the injector was stuck open it would have trickled all the fuel in the fuel rail into that cylinder. On start-up the piston has nowhere to go once it reaches hydrostatic lock and the rod bends as a result.
    this

thats a possibility, makes sense. There were no signs of detonation, the piston and head look great so leaking fuel injector is definitely a possible cause. I have recently sent the injectors in for cleaning (Id 1050x injectors). They said they did have some debris in them. I have replaced my fuel filter, went from 10 micron stainless to 6 micron fiberglass. I will throw another rod in it and see what happens....lol.

Enthusiast
    It is interesting bending rods...done it several times finding the limits on my various ROE and Whipple blower excursions. It even blew out the head gaskets when it detonated. So I'm now back to all OEM piston and rods running NA. You'll be fine with a simple swap. Those Diamond pistons are tough too...never damaged through all the carnage. I swapped the entire set to Viper Mike for brand new creampuff takeouts (piston, rods, rings, bearings)...easy peasy.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

I would continue your discussion with Dan Cragin since he reached out. I would have say he is likely the Viper Tech with the most experience of anyone in the US , so you are on the right track - good luck.
    Tired and Retired...........just wanna travel or go racing ( autocross or W2W ).