Ending a 10 year relationship

My 1996 GTS is on Bring a Trailer. Ends day after Thanksgiving.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-dodge-viper-46/

It has been a fantastic ownership experience. I hope it goes to a true enthusiast.

Hopefully to a new owner that will be just as involved on this forum!
    Last edited by Viper GTS-R; 1 Week Ago at 09:33 PM.
    They’re coming to get you Barbara.

This is what we call a sales pitch.........

This is what we call a sales pitch.........
    And should be deleted!

Wow!!! Someone power washed and scrubbed the crap out of the undersides. Would have liked to seen what it looked like before the blasting. Those oil pan bolts were not that polished when new. Most likely has the typical early GEN-2 oil leakage issues from the pan and seals. Also curious about the reason for the front fascia repaint. Pass side VC has bubbling and will need to be dealt with. Otherwise it looks like it maybe a nice driver considering that there are no hidden mechanical issues.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by SHELBYVIPER View Post
    Also curious about the reason for the front fascia repaint.
    Yup, bottom part of spoiler should NOT have stripes on it.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Pending recall 998..

Quote Originally Posted by SHELBYVIPER View Post
    Wow!!! Someone power washed and scrubbed the crap out of the undersides. Would have liked to seen what it looked like before the blasting. Those oil pan bolts were not that polished when new. Most likely has the typical early GEN-2 oil leakage issues from the pan and seals. Also curious about the reason for the front fascia repaint. Pass side VC has bubbling and will need to be dealt with. Otherwise it looks like it maybe a nice driver considering that there are no hidden mechanical issues.
    I respectfully disagree; my '96 with slightly less miles is just as clean on the bottom. My car has also never succumbed to any oil leakage issues. I don't think the seller is trying to pull anything here, it's a pretty solid car that has the fascia repainted at some point- likely for stone chips.

Yes, exposing car to the those that may have interest. Guilty as charged.

If inappropriate, gladly have post removed. Noticed several BAT threads and made an assumption. My bad.

No power washer has been used under my ownership. This car has not seen rain in last 10 years. I did spend a day underneath with detail spray and microfiber cloth and classic rock blasting in preparation of listing. It was kinda therapeutic.

My guess on paint under fascia was stripe extension, but no way to substantiate. The clear paint protection at each corner appear factory applied. There are some scuffs under the fascia, but hard to see. I want new owner to be completely informed.

I have enjoyed the car immensely. I’ve not been active on the boards for years
    and never that active then. Forgot passwords and all. I have appreciated the amount of expertise and passion surrounding the Viper community. A few conversations with Chuck Tator stand out.

Sellers remorse is starting to creep in, but circumstances necessitate sale. Hopefully the new owner will be an active forum contributor.

Happy Thanksgiving to those stateside.

Enthusiast
    Well at least it sold for $10,000 more than it cost 26 years ago. Versus that same amount being worth half a mil had it of been invested. Maybe the 615 miles per year of use made that loss worth it. Dunno, mine's not for sale. No personal experience with that.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Agreed. Measured purely by monetary return a car is a poor asset class in most cases, by far. Not even accounting for the terrible holding costs.

Enjoying the car. Admiring it in the garage. Sharing it with friends and beers. Caring for it. Occasionally taking it out on a sunny weekend… like the old ad says, “priceless”.

As a follow up. The new care taker is nice guy from the Midwest. He and two other old high school buddies are acquiring some special interest cars to share together. Turns out they all graduated high school the same year. Care to guess the year??

Yep, 1996. This was the “poster on the wall” car for them.

Sounds like the Viper owners community just added three new enthusiasts.

My Viper ownership comes to a close. I enjoyed every minute of it. I wouldn’t change a thing. Enjoy yours in whatever manner suits you. You own an icon.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Well at least it sold for $10,000 more than it cost 26 years ago. Versus that same amount being worth half a mil had it of been invested. Maybe the 615 miles per year of use made that loss worth it. Dunno, mine's not for sale. No personal experience with that.
    I don’t know what to say exactly. You’re so far past the broken record level and have successfully reached the pure annoyance stage.....congratulations. Enjoy the millions of dollars I am sure you invested instead of buying things to enjoy in your life. Whoever gets to inherit your fortune is certainly grateful

I don’t know what to say exactly. You’re so far past the broken record level and have successfully reached the pure annoyance stage.....congratulations. Enjoy the millions of dollars I am sure you invested instead of buying things to enjoy in your life. Whoever gets to inherit your fortune is certainly grateful
    Yes but at least he has a sense of humour, you remember what that is don’t you? I know that it is frowned upon here now and your posts get removed if you try to lighten things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper GTS-R View Post
    Yes but at least he has a sense of humour, you remember what that is don’t you? I know that it is frowned upon here now and your posts get removed if you try to lighten things up.
    Dave, a sense of humor ?, now that’s funny
    Last edited by commandomatt; 4 Days Ago at 12:13 AM.

Dave, a sense of humor ?, now that’s funny ������
    It’s an acquired taste!

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Crossroads of America

Beautiful car! Congratulations on a good sale!
    Cars are rarely a good investment vs. other investment options…monetarily speaking, that is. Not all investments pay the same dividends. Some dividends are “smiles for miles”. I didn’t even THINK of (monetary) investment when I got mine, just a good time. And so far it has been a blast. If I sale it for, at least, the same I bought it for it’s a WIN for me, as far as I’m concerned. Very glad to see you got good money for it!
    Must feel purdy weird without it. I can’t imagine. One day I will have to, I know, but not yet.