Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Enthusiast no_flex_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    40

    Clutch Wear and Pilot Bearing Question

    So we're getting ready to drop our rebuilt motor back in our 2000 GTS this week. Before we pulled the motor due to a dropped sleeve the car had only 6K miles on the clock.

    When starting to reinstall the factory flywheel/new pilot bearing/clutch assembly there were a couple of things that I was unsure about. First off, our new pilot bearing (Timken) does not sit flush with the flywheel side of the crank. See photo below:

    20211124_132647_2.jpg

    It protrudes maybe 1/8" at most past the crank flange. I have checked many times and the pilot bearing is fully seated/bottomed out against the crank. I could tell immediately when the sound changed while tapping the new one in, and I also did a visual inspection and it looks fully seated. I don't suspect this bearing will cause any issue, but every pilot bearing I've seen is flush on the side facing the flywheel when fully seated. I have also double checked the Timken part number and it appears to be correct for a 2000 GTS. Is this okay to run as is? Or should we replace it with a different bearing? FYI the SKF bearing we removed before installing the Timken bearing did sit flush with the crank.

    Secondly - any opinions on if this clutch and/or flywheel are fine to reinstall?
    20211124_142548.jpg

    20211123_131915.jpg

    20211123_131923.jpg

    20211123_144137.jpg

    The flywheel doesn't look great to me (especially at 6K miles), but we did do a quick pass with 600 grit to clean up the light surface rust and dirt/crud. It feels smooth and flat, but the discoloration has me a bit concerned. I'm also not sure how worn this clutch disk is, and I don't have a great way to measure the rivet depth below the clutch face and don't know how thick the friction material is on a new clutch.

    I may be overthinking all of this, but any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Hoping to get the engine back in the car this week, but I don't want to rush it if a new clutch is advisable. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by no_flex_wrx; 11-24-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Formatting

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Driving around braking at 95%
    Posts
    2,793
    Below is the pic of the throwout bearing I installed in my car about 25,000 miles ago. It was a factory packaged bearing i.e. genuine Dodge. I've never even bothered to look until just now but yes it pokes out a bit.

    Pilot Bearing.jpg

    The last Luk clutch I put in I measured the disc at 0.315" going in new. I've never measured an old one. Or at least I've never written it down. My personal philosophy is with as cheap as the factory spec Luk kits are, that I would never pull the tranny out and not put a new clutch kit in while the tranny is out. That of course assumes I didn't f something up and pull the tranny right back out the next day.

    Regarding the flywheel I have seen many different methods and many different abrasive grits discussed. From 80 grit to 400-ish, and from doing it by hand to using a DA. My opinion is that 80 would be rough enough to cause premature wear on the clutch friction surface. I did the 400 grit with a DA sander thing. You can get a decent DA for $35 at HF. Probably even cheaper since it's Thanksgiving and they are likely having a 50% off Final Manager's Sidewalk Final Closing Final Holiday Pre-New Year's Day Final End Of Year Final Sale. Or at least I think that's what it said on my coupon...
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

  3. #3
    Enthusiast Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    548
    That clutch disc does look good, but it also took the abuse of putting all that heat into the flywheel. How does the pressure plate look?

    RockAuto does have the LUK clutch and pressure plate for $156. It's hard not to go ahead and put one in. I did 50k miles ago.

  4. #4
    Enthusiast no_flex_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Regarding the flywheel I have seen many different methods and many different abrasive grits discussed. From 80 grit to 400-ish, and from doing it by hand to using a DA. My opinion is that 80 would be rough enough to cause premature wear on the clutch friction surface. I did the 400 grit with a DA sander thing. You can get a decent DA for $35 at HF. Probably even cheaper since it's Thanksgiving and they are likely having a 50% off Final Manager's Sidewalk Final Closing Final Holiday Pre-New Year's Day Final End Of Year Final Sale. Or at least I think that's what it said on my coupon...
    Yea their sales do get crazy at times lol. We ended up just lightly block sanding with 400, and it cleaned it up really well. The discoloration is still there, but the surface looks and feels much better than before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    That clutch disc does look good, but it also took the abuse of putting all that heat into the flywheel. How does the pressure plate look?

    RockAuto does have the LUK clutch and pressure plate for $156. It's hard not to go ahead and put one in. I did 50k miles ago.
    I didn't realize they were so cheap for this car, otherwise I would have had one ready to go :/ The pressure plate looks fairly similar to the flywheel in that there is some discoloration/hotspots. I think a new clutch is the right move especially at that price point...

  5. #5
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by no_flex_wrx View Post
    Yea their sales do get crazy at times lol. We ended up just lightly block sanding with 400, and it cleaned it up really well. The discoloration is still there, but the surface looks and feels much better than before.


    I didn't realize they were so cheap for this car, otherwise I would have had one ready to go :/ The pressure plate looks fairly similar to the flywheel in that there is some discoloration/hotspots. I think a new clutch is the right move especially at that price point...
    Do it now while everything is apart...a clutch swap in a Viper isn't hard, but it does take some time.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

  6. #6
    check the run out of the flywheel throughout the surface area if you think it is warped. not sure if I would get it ground or if it needs it.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •