Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Gaps squeaking and rattling interior

Finally drove the car without any music on and noticed there's a lot of rattling and some weird squeaks on the interior, especially during unsmooth roads. I wasn't sure if this is the norm or any way to remedy this item than cranking up the music

The alignment from my hood to bumper is ever so slightly off, but JUST enough for me to notice. Is this also fairly normal? I'm still a but paranoid since I don't actually know the history of my vehicle despite a clean ppi

Enthusiast
    Pretty common especially in an ACR. What car do you have? What year? You can use 303 on all the seals, make sure the decklid and hood are on the bumper stops. If you have the newer style decklid stops you can lube them also and insure they are operating correctly. The panel alignment is an art unto itself. Don't close the doors via the window glass ever. Try to isolate the noises and mitigate them 1 X 1.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe -- Sold moving toward a GEN V.
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

Enthusiast
    Most of the interior noise in the ACR is due to the stiff suspension.

Sounds like my Gen 2, stiff chassis stiff springs, lots of squeeks and that's just from the passenger

My GTS has a few squeeks.

As said I would concentrate on each one individually. The one is the driver seat belt. It is actually squeeking on the leather. Nothing I can really do with that. The other was a broken door push pin which allowed the panel to move slightly.

Gear down or radio up.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

As said, very normal.. these cars are not made for there cabin decibel levels.. a buddy of mine just did some work on eliminating some noises on both our cars.. we added sound deadening materials to the inside of the doors, added new push pins and metal door panel clips.. made it a lot quieter inside.. but I don’t think you can ever eliminate them all, just chase them down one at a time and do your best.. with the stiff suspension and how small the inside of the car is it’s going to be like the noises are everywhere.. I have a TA and it’s unforgiving at times.. but, wouldn’t change it for anything

Btw, Mikey, are you on any of the Facebook Viper groups? And where are you located? Send me a DM

High flow cats fixed a few squeaks for me.

In all seriousness, stiff suspension will do that. Is the ACR solid bushings for the coilovers? I got a TON more when I went to the stiffer ACR sway bars, Tractive coil overs (solid bushings) and upgraded sway bar bushings.

Squeaks don't mean anything is wrong (thought it may).
    Rattles are problems. Nothing should rattle except for your neighbors' windows.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, ACR sways, carbon stuff, big wing
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded. 2016 Lexus GX460: Full boring

Enthusiast
    Hey guys, it's just a GT not am ACR. I know some of the sound is coming from my driver side door panel, the other squeaks seem to come from either the AC vents or something around the infotainment system.

I think I already have high flow cats, as the car is extremely loud in 3rd and 4th gear, great for getting people to move over btw

O don't have any social media but in located in the Dallas area

As far as the alignment pn my bumper and hood, is that normal?

Door panel is probably the window bosses. Those can crack and be loose. Mine only had one still intact. The other was just loose and cracked. Installed the DSE boss kit and fixed all that noise. Hold the window while driving to see if it stops. I almost always have the windows down and only noticed it when they are up. Windows down; she sounds sooooo good.

Enthusiast
    I'm gonna take her into the dealership tomorrow and see if they can do anything with the rattles 20211204_163639.jpg

Also my bumper is uneven, anyway to adjust it on my own?

Has the car been in a minor fender bender?

From what I remember, they were pretty meticulous with the Gen 5s when it came to body panel fit/finish during assembly. I'm sure a few made it through that weren't quite up to snuff, but for the most part, all the ones I've seen pictures of (and in person) have been spot on.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm gonna take her into the dealership tomorrow and see if they can do anything with the rattles 20211204_163639.jpg

Also my bumper is uneven, anyway to adjust it on my own?
    looks like the hood or bumper has been off.. or someone hit the front left aero with a curb at low parking speeds... they didn't leave Connor with that type of gap on the hood/bumper

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Has the car been in a minor fender bender?

From what I remember, they were pretty meticulous with the Gen 5s when it came to body panel fit/finish during assembly. I'm sure a few made it through that weren't quite up to snuff, but for the most part, all the ones I've seen pictures of (and in person) have been spot on.
    Nothing on the ppi nor carfax, so no clue. Car does have a clear bra put on it, so not sure if they remove anything to put that on

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    looks like the hood or bumper has been off.. or someone hit the front left aero with a curb at low parking speeds... they didn't leave Connor with that type of gap on the hood/bumper
    The aero on the passenger side definitely hit a curb, would the alignment be something the dealer could adjust?
    Last edited by Mikey; 12-04-2021 at 09:11 PM.

The aero on the passenger side definitely hit a curb, would the alignment be something the dealer could adjust?
    I wouldn't trust most dealerships with a Neon, much less a Viper.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Well, if the front splitters were installed after the car was built, then the bumper has likely been off, just for that. No need to suspect anything sinister.

That being said, hand built cars such as this one get shims added here and there, behind fender attachment points, as well as bumpers. Have a look at your front bumper, and where the push pins are to hold it on(behind/under the hood), and imagine how it would line up if you added washers underneath the bumper before putting in the push pin. I think the factory uses plastic washers, not metal, not that that matters. A body shop is where I'd take the car for body/gap adjustments, if you're not going to do it.

For reference, the gaps around my hood and bumper are spot on.

I still find the front bumper looks odd without the Viper emblem on it.....
    Brad Williams
    2015 Competition Blue SRT - DSC Suspension - TA1 Aero - StopTech's - SW2's with Corsas, Hummer H1, E92 M3, BMW R1200GS Rallye, Ducati 999S, etc

Oh, and my car is surprisingly rattle free, mostly. There was a rubbing squeaking in my drivers door panel, got the dealer to hunt it down and fix it, while the car still has warranty, to which they said they added tape to the wiring harnesses, and attached them somehow.......

Worked for a while, but there's a faint sound there again, near the top of the door panel, but other than that, my car is squeak/rattle free, and our third world, winter ravaged Canadian roads are terrible.
    Brad Williams
    2015 Competition Blue SRT - DSC Suspension - TA1 Aero - StopTech's - SW2's with Corsas, Hummer H1, E92 M3, BMW R1200GS Rallye, Ducati 999S, etc

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    Oh, and my car is surprisingly rattle free, mostly. There was a rubbing squeaking in my drivers door panel, got the dealer to hunt it down and fix it, while the car still has warranty, to which they said they added tape to the wiring harnesses, and attached them somehow.......

Worked for a while, but there's a faint sound there again, near the top of the door panel, but other than that, my car is squeak/rattle free, and our third world, winter ravaged Canadian roads are terrible.
    I agree about the emblem, but the entire front and a quarter of the hood are clear bra'd, unless I can add it on top of it
    I'll be sure to tell the dealer to just do the oil change in that case, and maybe track down some of the rattles. I did notice the car seems to behave a lot better now that it has had some time to sit after the trip
    Last edited by Mikey; 12-05-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I wouldn't trust most dealerships with a Neon, much less a Viper.
    +1 on that! I have rattles behind my door panels. If I remember correctly, there are some clips that are attached to a strap that hold the door panel on...those things rattle like crazy. I installed window bosses, so it's not that. I just turn up the music.

To me, the bumper color does not match the hood color....could be just the angle.

I agree about the emblem, but the entire front and a quarter of the hood are clear bra'd, unless I can add it on top of it
    I'll be sure to tell the dealer to just do the oil change in that case, and maybe track down some of the rattles. I did notice the car seems to behave a lot better now that it has had some time to sit after the trip
    You can place an emblem on top, I'd think. Just get the sticker, instead of the big thick metal emblem
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, ACR sways, carbon stuff, big wing
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded. 2016 Lexus GX460: Full boring

Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    You can place an emblem on top, I'd think. Just get the sticker, instead of the big thick metal emblem
    Yup. Would look really good.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Enthusiast
    Gonna get everything ironed out hopefully this week, @Venom-ta walked me through damn near everything I need to know or do with the car

No problem.. I’m here to help and pass on what I’ve learned from some of these guys.. hope to see ya at some of our meets..

Enthusiast
    Were did you buy the push pins and metal door panel clips?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013GTS View Post
    Were did you buy the push pins and metal door panel clips?
    Not sure what you're referring to, but everything you see on the car I bought that way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast