Paxton Supercharger install progress

I started this install last week on a '05 vert. After inventorying the parts, I only found a bolt and washer missing, had some questions on the tension assembly as it listed a lot of parts, but it was all assembled, so not sure on that one. I sent Paxton a note, but no reply yet, maybe due to holidays.

I am not using the Paxton external fuel pumps and FMU module, so this was the "Tuners" kit I purchased. Have some 69# injectors and a SCT tuner with a base SC tune to install at the end.

I removed the air cleaner assembly and the crank pulley, mounted the drill guide to the hub and quickly determined I would need to buy a new drill as my 90 degree adapter was too big to fit in the tight space.
    Ended up ordering a Makita 90 degree drill and is super compact but very powerful....so while I waited for that to come in, I started in other parts of the install guide, so this is not in order of the guide.

And before starting, I installed a boost gauge on the A-pillar, then upgraded the fuel pump to a Walbro 400lph pump. Wished I would have taken pics of the pump installed in the bucket...required cutting a 2" hole in bottom of bucket, and then 4 slots in the side to zip tie the pump against the inside wall of the bucket. I used 2 very large industrial strength black zip ties...do not use the white ones as they tend to get brittle. I also took the car out for a drive after the pump install to be sure there were no issues, and connected a fuel pressure gauge to make sure it was getting the correct 58 psi of pressure during heavy acceleration.

66215255118__394E9104-87E2-420B-A6A8-09299967AF98.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg

Next I installed the cooler fins on the front between the power steering cooler and the AC condenser
    IMG_5712.jpg

Next came the coolant tank that is installed inside the passenger fender in front of the tire.
    66249237406__CBCB5C66-9658-4DC5-86F9-3C0E3AFC5569.jpg
    IMG_5697.jpg
    Last edited by 2quik6; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:48 PM.

Next I installed the pump for the coolant and all of the hoses routed.
    66251302253__DEA87EED-8E89-43E6-9DD8-F745B14C635D.jpg

And then wired the pump all up
    IMG_5707.jpg

Then the dreaded drilling of the hub and crank in order to install pins so that there is no chance the hub can rotate on the crank to a different position. The Makita 90 degree drill worked great, and I highly recommend buying some extra #31 0.12 bits before hand, will have to buy them online, your local hardware store will not normally have this odd size.
    IMG_5716.jpgIMG_5714.jpg

Then installed the new crank pulleys.
    IMG_5718.jpg

And since my drill arrived for pinning the crank, after completing that, I can continue at the beginning of the install guide...so it was on to the oil pan removal, and tapping it for the drain line...This is as far as I have gotten as the weather has turned very cold and my garage does not heat very well..

The oil pan as it is before dropping
    IMG_5720.jpg

Oil pan dropped
    IMG_5738.jpg

I cleaned the oil pan up, drilled and tapped the side of the pan and installed the 3/8 NPT threaded 90 degree fitting for the drain tube to connect to. There is a splash guard that was installed in the bottom, it is removed in this pic, but will be re-installed before putting pan back on. It is actually leaning against the pan at the top of pic.
    IMG_5744.jpg

Will reply again here on my progress for the upcoming week!

Happy New Year all!

Got the oil pan re-installed and the supply and drain lines installed
    IMG_5748.jpg

Then on the the first mounting plate on the front of the engine
    IMG_5753.jpg

Then the supercharger mounted on the secondary plate. Over-tightened the idler retracted tool and it broke off the positioning stud. Drilled it out and tapped some threads into it and installed a bolt through the mounting plate to hold it in position. Notice the factory power steering res to fan line is right in the way where the IC needs to go. Instructions say you can bend it out of the way, but its right in the middle...so I ordered some braided lines from JTSVP.
    IMG_5755.jpg

Be sure to check all of the belt clearances, especially the SC pulley snout that sticks right out into the alternator pulley/belt. Has about 3/32" clearance.
    IMG_5767.jpg

Additional pic of the mounting as I could not find much posted of how this is all mounted. Instructions with the kit provide very detailed instructions, but not much in pictures, a pic is worth a thousand words.
    IMG_5775.jpg
    Last edited by 2quik6; 1 Week Ago at 11:36 PM.

Another close up of the mounting points for the front plates
    IMG_5768.jpg

The inner cooler component all assembled, ready to go in after the new braided steering lines come in.
    IMG_5766.jpg

A view up from the bottom looking at the crank pulleys
    IMG_5765.jpg

And since I could go no further until the steering lines come in, I changed out the spark plugs with some NGK ZFR5N plugs gapped at .032.
    IMG_5769.jpg

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    Installation looks very good. I did the same way back in 2004 as one of the first installations. One comment though. I see you still have the original pan and oil pick up. I would suggest obtaining a Gen 4 pan and swing arm pick up to avoid oil starvation.

Looking good man! Glad to see others doing this as well.
    2006 SRT-10 VIPER GTS BLUE PEARL. N/A build forged bottom end Greg Good top end and cam. in process of adding a Paxton, ATI916266 pulley needed please help!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Installation looks very good. I did the same way back in 2004 as one of the first installations. One comment though. I see you still have the original pan and oil pick up. I would suggest obtaining a Gen 4 pan and swing arm pick up to avoid oil starvation.
    Had not heard of this issue on '05s. I read that there were some design changes from the '03 engine to avoid some oil starvation issues?? Will research some more. I figure the baffling in the bottom is to keep it from starving, but I could see that it could also keep oil from getting to the pickup area fast enough as well.
    Pan is easy enough to remove and replace if needed....easiest pan to remove of any car I have ever had!
    Thanks for the tip!

Ok with a little time today and searching just for this issue, I see now a lot of posts from several years back. The update to the '05's were for the front main bearings apparently.
    So, I will be adding this additional upgrade to my list! I see it for about $1950 from ViperSpecialties, probably as cheap as I can find it as that appears to have been the price folks commented on back in 2012! Will definitely do this before getting new sticky tires which is very soon!
    Thanks for providing this info!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    No problem. I bought my parts from Viper Specialty way back when also. Long before Gen4, when comp coupe improvements included the swing arm. Prior to the update I could see oil pressure drops during corners, which was disconcerting.

A little more progress today!
    Got the steering lines in, black braided hoses, installed, now plenty of room up front!
    IMG_5802.jpg

Installing the cooler assembly, have to be careful of the bypass valve hitting the frame cross brace down below, nothing but the hose sleeves from the SC and the Throttle body support this, so I duct taped 3 pieces of cardboard together and placed it between the bypass valve and the frame cross brace as a spacer until I got all of the sleeves tight....makes for about a 1/4" space for clearance!
    IMG_5805.jpg

IC all mounted, some of the hoses connected, still need to connect the coolant hoses, the vac line from bypass valve and some other stuff before moving on the the filter assembly.
    I had removed the top frame brace and of course forget to install before getting the throttle body connected and had to redo it Also don't forget to find a home for the emissions vac line that connects under the throttle body, it does not exactly fit well after it is moved form the front of the top frame strut brace...it has to go on top and not in the factory location as it will rub the SC belt.
    IMG_5806.jpg

im more familiar with the gen2 install but is that a stock dampener you drilled ? is that what you should be using ? the stock gen2 dampener was pretty crappy, the upgraded one was much better.
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    im more familiar with the gen2 install but is that a stock dampener you drilled ? is that what you should be using ? the stock gen2 dampener was pretty crappy, the upgraded one was much better.
    Going by the instructions, I do not see any recommendations to upgrade. Not to say they are correct. From a few of the other threads I had seen over the years, all seem to be using the factory Gen3 dampener. I know when drilling through it, the dampener was much harder than the crank shaft to drill through. This is to pin the dampener to the shaft so that there is no chance of the dampener spinning on the crank shaft since there is no keyway.
    I have the same kit on my '05 SRT10 Truck, was on it when I purchased it back 11 years ago, and it has the factory dampener as well and I have put about 70k miles on it.

No problem. I bought my parts from Viper Specialty way back when also. Long before Gen4, when comp coupe improvements included the swing arm. Prior to the update I could see oil pressure drops during corners, which was disconcerting.
    I talked to Dan today, doesn't sound like he is making any more of these after his move any time soon Do not see any other alternatives except on the has a different pickup and a different baffling plate to install in the pan.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by 2quik6 View Post
    I talked to Dan today, doesn't sound like he is making any more of these after his move any time soon Do not see any other alternatives except on the has a different pickup and a different baffling plate to install in the pan.
    I thought the Gen 4 pan and pick up could be used. Not sure of any modifications. I would check with Prefix as they would know for sure.

I thought the Gen 4 pan and pick up could be used. Not sure of any modifications. I would check with Prefix as they would know for sure.
    I emailed them and Dale Matthews got back with me and yes the Gen4 pan and swing arm work, ordering tomorrow for $1100. Must be why Dan didn't sound like he was planning to make any more unless he could have them made remotely but said he thought his tooling was not setup in NY to do it and he was not planning to go back to NY anytime soon, he is in FL now.
    Thank you so much for your help and info!

Finished the install today...still need to do the injector swap and tune, but did start it up and all sounds good, but I have a mystery steering fluid leak that I cannot find the source of, around the reservoir but does not appear to be the new line connection.

So after filling the IC with coolant, about half of the connections with these plastic clamps leaked, when trying to make them tighter, the clips broke, so I removed all of them and replaced with metal hose clamps!
    IMG_5808.jpg

The supercharger is looking good!
    IMG_5812.jpg

The vacuum connections in the brake vac line, have one for the bypass valve on the SC, and one for my in-cockpit boost gauge.
    IMG_5821.jpg

All assembled! The intake air filter assembly caused some grief, the power steering line, as small as the braided line is, is too much to be routed over the top of the fan, so had to relocate it lower, and if not careful, the coolant hoses from the IC will be in the way, had to trim those....the air filter assm takes up every square mm of space behind the fan.
    IMG_5819.jpg

Whole picture is looking good!
    IMG_5820.jpg

Weather turning crappy, so maybe try to look for this steering fluid leak some more in a few days...maybe use some little mirrors to look around.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Houston
    You won't need a Gen 4 oil pan/swingarm unless you plan on doing some serious road course racing, on tracks with long, high sustained speed corners. You'll never need one for straight-line racing.
    www.DV8motoring.com
    2014 Viper TA white #10/33 | 2013 Viper - 10.97 @ 127 mph - First 10 second Gen 5 (sold)
    2006 Viper - 9.48 @ 154 mph - 209 mph 1 mile - 187 mph 1/2-mile

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    You won't need a Gen 4 oil pan/swingarm unless you plan on doing some serious road course racing, on tracks with long, high sustained speed corners. You'll never need one for straight-line racing.
    I will race it a Eagles Canyon about 20 miles away at some point. We also have a lot of sweeping 90 degree exit ramps that are fun to power through I saw some posts once I started researching where folks had noticed pressure drop on those with spirited driving. Better to be safe than sorry and the pan is super easy to drop. I'm am dreading having to remove the power steering pump more