Interesting video about auto vs stick

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    My wife took particular joy in her Miata RF 6 speed when we watched this video last summer.

Thank you for posting.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Vipers 6th gear ratio is indicative of what the video is suggesting…..
    And why some of us changed 5th gear ratio.
    Charter Member , SS OHIO

Yea, I’ve wondered why when I was young, manuals always was faster than autos and now it’s reversed…

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    True, I no find it annoying that 1st in my hellcat can hit nearly 70mph, but I can only get about 4.5 0-60. Most guys get drag radials and dump the clutch to launch it, which shouldn’t be so necessary. I’ve thought shorter gears would really help it out for a while now. But I do t race it, so it’s fine. I think some 4:10’s out back could really wake it up tho. I do t really need to go 200mph, but I do enjoy 90mph at 2500rpm or so. It’s a tough call. My 2015 GenV GT viper has the super tall sixth the HC doesn’t have, which makes a better case for a differential gear change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Yea, I’ve wondered why when I was young, manuals always was faster than autos and now it’s reversed…
    I think the main reason (and Jason is missing the point) is the huge horsepower jump cars have today versus when we were young. Just lowering the individual trans ratios or rear diff ratio may not make a manual faster if it has a lot of horsepower. Too low of gearing and the engine overpowers the traction instantly and you have to make a lot more shifts to get to a specific speed.

And "faster" has to be defined....quicker would be a low ET in the quarter mile but faster would be a higher trap speed. It really depends what you're trying to achieve and what wins races...time or mph. A lot of ET is based on how the suspension and tires are set up to get instant off the line traction for a drag race but this would suck on a road course.

In the example of the Miata having the perfect trans ratios and gearing, if you drop in a 425 hp V6 turbo, I promise the auto would be faster and quicker.

Low hp cars will always be faster with manuals but as the hp goes up, the auto will win out. I'm pretty sure that a math formula could be produced showing a correlation between vehicle weight and engine hp and what the crossover point would be for a manual vs auto.

0-60?

60-130 numbers are way more interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    0-60?

60-130 numbers are way more interesting..
    Not at a street light. Back in the day, everyone used to street race...light to light. It seems like not too much of that goes on these days.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    Not at a street light. Back in the day, everyone used to street race...light to light. It seems like not too much of that goes on these days.
    Because cars have gotten harder and harder to street-no-prep launch.
    Nick Anderson

VCC #003

Three pedals, a stick, sequential transmission, and no-lift shifts seems to be the way to go. heh, heh

Sequential 3.jpg
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Sequential’s on 2 wheels and 4 wheels are brilliant for no lift shifts.
    Charter Member , SS OHIO

Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    keywords here: ''back in the day''

Seriously can't imagine doing silly things as 0-60 (or 0-80) in cities nowadays with people including children who walks the streets...

I have no shame doing things like 60-100 on the highway but in the city if 30mph is the maximum speed it makes sense to go on a given street, I sure won't exceed that.

And, anyways, the smartest thing to do is to speed on dedicated tracks. In which 0-60 is pretty pointless.

99% of the time, on the street, that a car driver wants to measure his dick against my Viper is on the highway, on a roll (or something that looks like a roll, to his advantage of course)

Light to light thing? Happened maybe one time in 2 years.

In the form of a roll on the highway, up to 10 times a day (yeah, that much, people get very excited when they see a snake)

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    99% of the time, on the street, that a car driver wants to measure his dick against my Viper is on the highway, on a roll (or something that looks like a roll, to his advantage of course)

Light to light thing? Happened maybe one time in 2 years.

In the form of a roll on the highway, up to 10 times a day (yeah, that much, people get very excited when they see a snake)
    I'm guessing at least 7 of those 10 times a day is Mustang GTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Three pedals, a stick, sequential transmission, and no-lift shifts seems to be the way to go. heh, heh

Sequential 3.jpg
    Wow. That Vette build is amazing. So typical of your work. I hope to watch it run ar Spring Mountain some day!
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by CNU_Physics View Post
    I'm guessing at least 7 of those 10 times a day is Mustang GTs.
    lots of AMG's (any models), Audi RS3, Golf R, Subaru STI... In fact a lot of tuned turbocompressed smaller/cheaper cars. Mostly german/japanese

oh, and obviously the Hellcat/Demon's... They basically roam the highways 24/7 to find new opponents/victims.... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Three pedals, a stick, sequential transmission, and no-lift shifts seems to be the way to go.
    I approve this message.

Screenshot_20211031-094442_Gallery.jpg
    New York is scum thanks to Comrades Cuomo and De Blasio,
    baby Billy P!

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Vipers 6th gear ratio is indicative of what the video is suggesting…..
    And why some of us changed 5th gear ratio.
    Can always change more than 1 . Then there's the 3.21's I stuck in the rear.

Screenshot_20211004-103458_Messages.jpg
    New York is scum thanks to Comrades Cuomo and De Blasio,
    baby Billy P!