Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Oil filter

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Hopefully, this thread will remain in place as it does contain the original rational for the development of a Viper specific filter as well as a couple of data-supported, reasonable alternatives.

As always, it is up to the individual owner to make his/her own decision as to components used in one's own car.

As an UPDATE: My dealer here in Indy has the Gen I, II, and III Viper oil filters in stock.

CARiD has plenty of the Gen IV and V filters in stock and ready to ship.

As an aside, I did get a chuckle out of Hawk's Zaino comment...though to put it in perspective, I don't recall any of the original Team Viper engineers actually recommending it in a corporate communication.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

When I saw this topic I quickly went to Amazon to see what was available for my Gen I and III. No problem in getting three filters in a few days time. So I second what Steve-Indy said; no availability problem with that filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Hopefully, this thread will remain in place as it does contain the original rational for the development of a Viper specific filter as well as a couple of data-supported, reasonable alternatives.

As always, it is up to the individual owner to make his/her own decision as to components used in one's own car.

As an UPDATE: My dealer here in Indy has the Gen I, II, and III Viper oil filters in stock.

CARiD has plenty of the Gen IV and V filters in stock and ready to ship.

As an aside, I did get a chuckle out of Hawk's Zaino comment...though to put it in perspective, I don't recall any of the original Team Viper engineers actually recommending it in a corporate communication.
    I can update the CARiD availability -- there is none. I tried ordering a few MO-041's the day after SteveIndy's post and while I was able to get through checkout and give them my payment information, I received an email several days latter saying that the item was on backorder.

I ended up grabbing a few off of eBay at about $30/per, but then almost immediately thereafter saw that Amazon had them available again for about $21/per. So it seems like checking Amazon every so often is the best bet.

I also understand from a Hellcat forum that there is supposedly a replacement for MO-041 due in the fall.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    I can update the CARiD availability -- there is none. I tried ordering a few MO-041's the day after SteveIndy's post and while I was able to get through checkout and give them my payment information, I received an email several days latter saying that the item was on backorder.

I ended up grabbing a few off of eBay at about $30/per, but then almost immediately thereafter saw that Amazon had them available again for about $21/per. So it seems like checking Amazon every so often is the best bet.

I also understand from a Hellcat forum that there is supposedly a replacement for MO-041 due in the fall.
    Once again JonB at PartsRack, a club sponsor, has oil filters for all Gen Vipers. Support our sponsors!
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Hi Scott and George:

As of 2 minutes ago, CARiD showed 154 of the Gen IV / Gen V oil filters in stock....MOPAR part number 5038041AA. And, yes...they have the "SRT" on the filter itself.

I received one dozen of them Saturday 6/11/22...which was about 5 days after I ordered them. I decided to stock up since many of my local friends could not get them...and some were getting nervous about needing to change oil.

I also am a firm believer in supporting our sponsors...but my order alone would have depleted the stock on hand at the source with whom I had spoken.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Yup - they're in stock. Supposedly they're making changes to it in a few months and it will have a new part number (probably 041AB or something similar).

I do have a question... If my Gen V is consistently showing 70+ psi, does that mean that the bypass valve is always open if it's set to open at around 24 psi? That seems counterintuitive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If my Gen V is consistently showing 70+ psi, does that mean that the bypass valve is always open if it's set to open at around 24 psi? That seems counterintuitive to me.
    No, you're OK. The "bypass pressure" is the pressure between the inlet side and the and the outlet of the filter. If the filter material cannot flow enough (i.e. the filter is clogged) the bypass opens. The 70 psi on the gauge is pressure of the oil in the engine.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    No, you're OK. The "bypass pressure" is the pressure between the inlet side and the and the outlet of the filter. If the filter material cannot flow enough (i.e. the filter is clogged) the bypass opens. The 70 psi on the gauge is pressure of the oil in the engine.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Yup - they're in stock. Supposedly they're making changes to it in a few months and it will have a new part number (probably 041AB or something similar).

I do have a question... If my Gen V is consistently showing 70+ psi, does that mean that the bypass valve is always open if it's set to open at around 24 psi? That seems counterintuitive to me.
    Does it show 70 even at idle and fully warmed up?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM-TA View Post
    Does it show 70 even at idle and fully warmed up?
    It generally seems to drop down to around 50 when fully warmed up, but never seems to go below 30-40. I figure that's a good thing as I've had some cars with bad bearings that went down to around 10 psi....

It generally seems to drop down to around 50 when fully warmed up, but never seems to go below 30-40. I figure that's a good thing as I've had some cars with bad bearings that went down to around 10 psi....
    Right on.. mine idles at 70ish on start up then fluctuates between 32-40ish at idle when fully warmed up, then up to 70ish again under throttle.. always wondered if that was normal..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345