Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Valuable info for those Gen V owners getting new Tire Pressure Sensors TPS

Valuable info for those Gen V owners getting new Tire Pressure Sensors (TPS)

As the title says, this info is aimed specifically (and ONLY) at Viper Gen V (2013-2017) owners who are replacing their OEM tire pressure sensors as they install new tires. This is getting to be a more frequent situation as these cars age.

1. Remember: the Gen V TPS is not the same sensor as used on Gen III and IV Vipers.

2. The new Gen V sensors DO NOT need to be programmed to the module using any external instrument. They will connect automatically after a couple of miles of driving.

If after installation of new sensors into Gen V Viper whose system was working as you entered the tire shop and post installation you find that your new sensors do not display on the dash (either completely or partially), don't panic just yet...your new sensors are probably OK.

This situation recently happened to a friend as he motored home in his Gen V. The two front tires' pressures were displayed correctly, BUT there was no info from the rear tires.

Aside from my thoughts of "wrong sensors" or old stock with dead batteries, etc ( noting that I did offer to check the sensors' output with my Autel)..I placed a call to a Tom Sessions.

Tom had recently been asked to sort a similar issue on a Viper in his area. Tom suggested that when the the nut was tightened down on the metal valve stem, there may have been a slight turning of the sensor inside the tire. He told me that the sensor MUST be perfectly parallel with the edge of the rim in order to be read correctly. While this can be checked with a wiTECH 2.0, most of us do not have one home.

Tom suggested that the owner carefully mark the exact position of the valve stem, then carefully loosen the 11mm hex nut, and rotate the valve stem COUNTERCLOCKWISE a degree or two, then carefully tighten the nut, and go for a drive.

The owner did this, and was happy to see BOTH rear tire pressures were added to his dash display. Hopefully, one of YOU can explain to me why repositioning ONE sensor would make BOTH rear sensors display correctly.

Once again, Tom Sessions SAVED OUR ASP (s) !! Thanks Tom !!!

As a final aside, if you are planning to update your TPS's, I strongly suggest that you examine them yourself PRIOR to installation to be sure that you have the correct ones...whether they for a Gen III-IV Viper or Gen V Viper. Also check the date codes...especially if they came from a C-J-D-R dealership. It does not hurt to read their output with an Autel or Bartec BEFORE they are installed. These tools are commonly found at tire shops. These steps can save you a lot time, stress, and money !!

Thanks, again Tom !!!
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Thanks for the info. I have another issue that may require reprogramming. After the last 4-tire change, my pressures read correctly, but I get a low tire pressure warning light for the rear tires when they are at the recommended 29#. Once the tires get to about 32-33#, the warning light goes out. It appears it is looking for the 35# specified for the front tires. The system worked correctly until the last tire change. My question is "Are the tire pressure sensors specific to the front or rear, and if so, would swapping them front to rear cause this problem?" I guess I could air the front tires down to 29#, and if the low pressure warning light does not appear, then I may have my answer.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Pappy, to my knowledge, the TPS 's are the same part at all 4 wheels.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

I used the sensors Jon B sent out with my tires on my Gen V. Installer had no issues getting them setup. However I remember him having to spend a little extra time and mentioned that I needed to restart the car a few times to activate. He had experience with viper and mentioned something about them being a little different. Been over a year, no issues. Here are the sensors I used.F24B852E-1350-4FF0-B99C-3DBD0FDBC24D.jpg 1F48D63F-5694-4692-8E75-2ED93A4F1C9B.jpg
    Last edited by chris_lee; 05-07-2022 at 09:39 PM.

4x for $70 on amazon. Worked great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WV...927YBQN9&psc=1

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

........and little items like this that can save one a ton of time and money is just one of the reasons you should belong to the Vipers Owner's Association of America. As time goes one more and more items will come up and we will all need help, and the VOA will become and even more valuable resource to help us keep things running smooth in our increasingly valuable Supercars.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 05-08-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    Tired and Retired...........just wanna travel or go racing ( autocross or W2W ).

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    ........and little items like this that can save one a ton of time and money is just one of the reasons you should belong to the Vipers Owner's Club of America. As time goes one more and more items will come up and we will all need help, and the VOA will become and even more valuable resource to help us keep things running smooth in our increasingly valuable Supercars.
    Oops, I think you meant Viper Owners Association. Somehow you conflated the two organizations. I won’t say age because I am up there with you

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Ha, ha, thanks for noticing my mistyping, and I corrected it. VOA could easily stand for Viper Owners Aging since there are quite of few of us in the Social Security Group and beyond, ha. I am going to go take my Prevagen, Geritol and take a nap, then I will get back with you later ----- what day is it anyway?
    Tired and Retired...........just wanna travel or go racing ( autocross or W2W ).

Back in December I purchased a set of SWII's from Jon@PartsRack, along with Tires, Center caps, and TPMS.

In January I had the Tires/TPMS mounted at my local shop.

Last weekend I finally installed them. Took the car for a ride and all the Tire Pressures showed up on the screen - no problems. In Jon I Trust.

Polished Rattlers were OE. The Black SWII's made big difference!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Viper GT
    2021 Model Y Performance

I picked these up all 4 for $110, drove it for a few miles and they connect to the car with out any problems. When I change to my other wheels it does the same to connect back to them
    Dennis

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Dodge_VIP...43-15-337m.htm
    2014 TA orange #55