Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for a New Battery

Just want to confirm if I can swap the battery without any Throttle Relearn procedures once I install the new one?

Basically just reset the Clock and Radio Stations?

Any suggestions on a new Battery? The Mopar is unavailable. I considered Optima, but that doesn't seem too popular.
    2015 Viper GT
    2021 Model Y Performance

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I appreciate your concern, but if you do need a "Throttle Relearn", it's no big deal. This should not be confused with Electronic Throttle Control relearn which would require a wiTECH pod.

In the last few years, while helping friends change batteries in such things as BMW'S, we just hook up an alternate electrical source such as a 1.25 amp, 12 volt battery tender while INSULATING the car's positive battery cable connector with a couple of rubber gloves. This subverts the BMW planned procedure of returning to a dealer to "register" the new battery. I have also used a 9 bolt transistor battery attached to a cigarette lighter plug t o do the same thing in Vipers. DO NOT TRY THIS if you are inexperienced in electrical "stuff".

As for the selection of a battery, the dealer sourced "MOPAR-labelled" batteries available today are not the same as OEM...as they are often locally sourced at the best price with an added MOPAR sticker (per the parts desk at a local dealer).

Your car came with a flooded lead acid battery...group size T5. These are readily available.

Personally, I do not use any flooded lead acid batteries in any of our Vipers...nor in our daily drivers. I only use AGM ( Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries...as they do not leak, have great starting power, and generally last 2-3 times longer that the flooded lead acid replacement batteries.

Yes, a good AGM battery is heavy and a bit more expensive than the old flooded lead acid batteries...but to me, they are well worth it.

For our 2014 GTS, I chose an INTERSTATE MTZ 48/H6...and have also put one in a street-use-only ACR-E (which required buying the 2 hold down brackets that you have on your car).

I also have batteries from Enersys/Odyssey in 3 Vipers that are still going strong at roughly the 11-14 year point.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 06-20-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

I just changed mine. No issues.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

The Die Hard Gold T5 from Advance Auto Parts is a direct fit and a great value ($199.99) 810 Cranking amps (650 CCA) with a 90 min. reserve. Not an AGM but neither was the OEM battery and less weight.
    2008 SSG Roadster (Sold)
    2017 Afterburner Orange GTC
    Thank you Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamrhead View Post
    Basically just reset the Clock and Radio Stations?
    Pretty sure your radio stations will be saved also.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    This subverts the BMW planned procedure of returning to a dealer to "register" the new battery.
    This is in stark contrast to the money grabbing slime-balls at BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by EZ 2B Green View Post
    The Die Hard Gold T5 from Advance Auto Parts is a direct fit and a great value ($199.99) 810 Cranking amps (650 CCA) with a 90 min. reserve. Not an AGM but neither was the OEM battery and less weight.
    I have the Duralast Gold which I believe is made int he same factory and it's the same exact price and specs as the Diehard Gold.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Interstate MTP-90/T5 $190
    2014 TA orange #55

I bought a factory MOP-BBV4F001AA battery last month in Phoenix. They said there were 2 left in PHX at that time. $257.00. This is battery #2 in six years. I don't keep it on a trickle charger, so even in "hibernation mode" the battery will occasionally get low enough to prevent a start. That sometimes sets a couple of engine codes that take a little bit to clear. It is probably time to step up to one of TKO Motorsport's lithium ion batteries.
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I bought a factory MOP-BBV4F001AA battery last month in Phoenix. They said there were 2 left in PHX at that time. $257.00. This is battery #2 in six years. I don't keep it on a trickle charger, so even in "hibernation mode" the battery will occasionally get low enough to prevent a start.
    Same situation as you - No power in the garage I keep the car in and I always use Hibernation mode.

Although I'm still on the Factory Battery. I guess 7+ years isn't too bad.
    2015 Viper GT
    2021 Model Y Performance

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Same situation as you - No power in the garage I keep the car in and I always use Hibernation mode.

That's excellent use! Good for you.

Now, I'd go ahead and change it out haha
    Nick Anderson

VCC #003

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor

No power in garage no problem. Get yourself a decent 50-100w solar battery charger from amazon or ebay ( $50.00-125.00). We use them on alot on our trailers year round, they work great. We also add one of our battery trackers that uses a phone app. Phone app allows you to check battery status, charging history and alarms all remotely. Really nice to have when your crazy busy and have to go somewhere; quick check make sure battery is charged and ready.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

walmart everstart maxx works, 3 year replacement then 2 year prorated warranty
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    That's excellent use! Good for you.

Now, I'd go ahead and change it out haha
    Thanks! My Odometer is up to 2,530 miles!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    No power in garage no problem. Get yourself a decent 50-100w solar battery charger from amazon or ebay ( $50.00-125.00). We use them on alot on our trailers year round, they work great. We also add one of our battery trackers that uses a phone app. Phone app allows you to check battery status, charging history and alarms all remotely. Really nice to have when your crazy busy and have to go somewhere; quick check make sure battery is charged and ready.
    I was unaware of this product. I will look into them. Thanks!
    2015 Viper GT
    2021 Model Y Performance

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Georgia

Same here - just changed my OEM battery...no issues with clocks/settings/etc.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Just changed my OEM battery on the ACR. Was going strong until this past spring when I would try to start the Viper and gauges would flicker and engine wouldn't turn over. Voltage on the battery dropped below 12 volts and it would never complete a charge on the tender. Surprised the OEM lasted this long. I replaced it with https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dhgol/10653330-P. DieHard Gold Battery, Group Size V4, 520 CCA. So far so good.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Looks like I need a new battery, too. I always have a trickle charger on it, but the charger died and now the battery is low. I'm going to try and revive it with a Norco Genius 10 - it's brought deader than dead batteries back to life for me in the past.

The conundrum I'm facing is what battery to get. I've looked through all the threads on this, and it seems different Gen V Vipers take different batteries. I have a '17 ACR-E (GTC). I've seen conflicting things about the non-GTC ACRs taking a different battery than the GTC ACRs. I want to get an Odyssey battery for it, but it's unclear which one would be a direct OEM replacement.

Anyone know for sure which battery out there that I can just drop in and not have to buy any new brackets or other parts to make it fit?

Thanks in advance!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Any V4 is a direct replacement...providing that your Viper had the cross-shaped hold-down across the top of the battery and not the two small side clamps.

If, for some reason, you Viper has the two clamps that fit on the sides, then any T5 should fit.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 06-26-2022 at 04:16 PM.

How long you can keep it in hibernation mode without having to charge the battery?

What about this battery. I like the weight savings over stock…
    https://www.dougshelbyengineering.co...on-battery-kit

Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    How long you can keep it in hibernation mode without having to charge the battery?
    I've gone 2 months + with my older Vipers ('06, '08, '08, and '09).

The GenV doesn't seem to hold out as well, but we'll see with my new battery.
    2015 Viper GT
    2021 Model Y Performance

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    I still can't figure out how to get the car to go into hibernation I've tried it a bunch of times, but I'm never sure if it really is in hibernation or not. That said, I keep the battery on a tender, so it generally lasts around 3 years on average.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Martin, do an IOD test (with alarm off) as a baseline. Then enter what you think is hibernation, and repeat. If the milliamp drain is markedly less, you are likely in hibernation mode.

One could then watch the battery voltage(no tender)...say every two weeks, and get SOME feel as to when to charge the battery. If you accept the data published in the Gen I and II Service Manuals, 12.2 volts equals 50% charge. At that point, I would add a tender so as not to risk shortening battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I still can't figure out how to get the car to go into hibernation I've tried it a bunch of times, but I'm never sure if it really is in hibernation or not. That said, I keep the battery on a tender, so it generally lasts around 3 years on average.
    Here is something that is quirky about my car, but I figured out how to make sure I am in hibernation mode. I enter the mode with the door closed. After the 10 second timeout, I open the door and I get a prompt that hibernation mode has been activated. Then, I cycle the ignition to off. If I try to enter the mode with the door open, or if I cycle the ignition to off before opening the door, I don't get the prompt. It may be entering the hibernation mode, but I can't tell for sure. Finally, the rear deck unlock push button does not operate in my car if it is in hibernation mode.
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You and me both.

You and me both.
    You'll know if it successfully went into hibernation mode by checking the rear deck lid. If you hit the electronic release and nothing happens.... its sleeping.
    Blake

2016 1 of 1 Viper GTC Prefix 9.0 Stroker Stage 2 Arrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast