Enthusiast

Squeaking sound when moving from a stop

Car is in the shop at the moment, they're telling me it's a throw out bearing and that I should replace the clutch. Car only has 16k miles, I've put on 6k of those miles on the highway. Seems odd that the clutch would need to be replaced this soon

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Last edited by Mikey; 3 Days Ago at 10:44 AM.

I've had a bad pilot bearing (non-Viper) cause a squeaking sound when moving from a stop.

It's fairly common to go ahead a replace a good semi-worn clutch while you have the trans out repairing something else. But, 16k is very few miles....

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    It squeaks when letting out the clutch? 16k miles is nothing on a clutch unless it was driven hard.
    2013 GTS Venom Black w/ Billet Silver Stripes
    2010 CTS V Manual

That sucks. I dealt with this on my modified C6. Replaced the bearing but kept my clutch. Bet you'd be fine to keep yours too.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JD03Cobra View Post
    It squeaks when letting out the clutch? 16k miles is nothing on a clutch unless it was driven hard.
    Yup, only when moving from a dead stop

Judging by the mods, I assume the former owner tracked it, but even then..

You might think this is a crazy question, but are you certain the squeaking is coming from the clutch/throw out bearing?
    I had a buddy who had the same symptoms on his Gen 3 and it was his parking brake pads that were squeaking. True story.
    Brian E

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Good reminder, Brian. I can name several folks who had the same parking brake issue...noting that Gen III and IV Vipers were well documented as having a "dragging" inner parking brake pad that would were down to bare metal and damage the rotor.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    JonB told me about it (parking brake dragging) when I got my 2008...sure enough, at 8100 miles it was about 90% worn down. Never used it again after that.
    Nick Anderson

VCC #003

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian E View Post
    You might think this is a crazy question, but are you certain the squeaking is coming from the clutch/throw out bearing?
    I had a buddy who had the same symptoms on his Gen 3 and it was his parking brake pads that were squeaking. True story.
    That's what the shop has told me, it does go away when I push the clutch un, so I'd say i believe them. Jon B told me about the parking brake so I try not to use it
    Last edited by Mikey; 2 Days Ago at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    it does go away when I push the clutch un, so I'd say i believe them.
    This was the exact same symptom with my bad pilot bearing. It would only squeak with the clutch partially engaged, moving from stopped.

Throw out bearings typically make noise when there is pressure on them (clutched pushed in).

If I was doing the job myself, I'd just replace the throw out bearing. If I was having someone do it, I'd probably replace the clutch too while they are there. Most of the labor is in pulling the trans. The good thing about the Viper is you don't have to tangle with the exhaust to get the trans out.

Hardest part is probably taking the shifter out without damaging the trim ring.. ha

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    This was the exact same symptom with my bad pilot bearing. It would only squeak with the clutch partially engaged, moving from stopped.

Throw out bearings typically make noise when there is pressure on them (clutched pushed in).
    That's actually exactly what happens. It's when I'm at the "bite" of the clutch and starts moving from a stop

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Judging by the mods, I assume the former owner tracked it, but even then..
    Did he teach his 3 kids how to drive a manual on it in hilly country? Did he tend to rest his foot on the clutch pedal when driving?

As long as the clutch looks perfect when they take it out and you are willing to pay for the wait time if you decide to replace it after inspecting it, and you don't blame the shop owner if something that wasn't replaced fails later; you don't need to replace it now.
    Jim

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Did he teach his 3 kids how to drive a manual on it in hilly country? Did he tend to rest his foot on the clutch pedal when driving?

As long as the clutch looks perfect when they take it out and you are willing to pay for the wait time if you decide to replace it after inspecting it, and you don't blame the shop owner if something that wasn't replaced fails later; you don't need to replace it now.
    Haha good point
    This car is becoming a headache, the shop I usually go to said the clutch squeaking is not an issue, but then the dealer says the bearing is worn..which makes sense BUT then the dealership wants $1500 to install the splitters I ordered
    Last edited by Mikey; 1 Day Ago at 03:05 PM.

thanks for stating that