Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just did a rebuild (gen 3, modified) and about to do another one for my 2nd engine (stock) and locally in Canada it's between 10k and 20k usd parts & labor. Of course, if the crank is good/useable, if not add 3-7k.

Also, couldnt find a proper used gen3 motor for less than 10-12k. Can't imagine a used gen 5 motor for less than 15-25k, especially these days of backorder-everything...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    May as well just go with it - $20k isn't the end of the world. I had to get my sewer line replaced from the house to the street, and it was $40k. Didn't get any joy out of that afterwards - I'd be happy to just turd in the woods rather than pay $40k for the joy of being able to use indoor plumbing. But, that vote didn't go in my favor.

If you can do a 9L, or even just their base rebuild, you'll be happy with it.
    The issue is, I'm already 15k into the car since December with nothing to show for it (35 after the rebuild). I haven't been able to enjoy the car since problems seem to arise shortly after she's out of the shop
    Last edited by Mikey; 1 Week Ago at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The issue is, I'm already 15k into the car since December with nothing to show for it (35 after the rebuild). I haven't been able to enjoy the car since problems seem to arise shortly after she's out of the shop
    The blown engine is a sunk cost- either in hard cost or resale.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, ACR sways, carbon stuff, TA spoiler.
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded. 2016 Lexus GX460: Full boring

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    The blown engine is a sunk cost- either in hard cost or resale.
    Yes, but then my losses are cut

Exactly why I’m glad I just purchased a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty on my 2013.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    I am pretty confident in my list of known and probable Vipers used by the Bonduraunt school. None are 2015 Vipers.
    Agree. Based on my tenure as Plant Manager @ CAAP (late 2015 to all of 2016) the "Bondurant cars" were built during my time at the plant. They were all 2016's by my memory.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe -- Sold moving toward a GEN V.
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

Enthusiast
    If anyone knows anyone who is looking to buy, let me know. After this, the car shouldn't need anything.

Clutch 1k miles ago
    Tires 4.5k k miles ago
    Pads 8k miles ago.
    Belanger exhaust, hi flow cats, underdrive pulley, k&n intake
    Hp tuners dongle.
    Front PPF
    Ta aero
    Sidewinder wheels
    Last edited by Mikey; 1 Week Ago at 03:45 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    I get it and I understand. I'd contact Calvo...see if they're interested in assessing the situation, doing a thorough inspection, etc. and their rebuild service. You don't have to get a 9L, etc. but when it leaves their shop then you'll have peace of mind and will be able to enjoy it.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Tracking a Gen V wouldn't have caused any of these problems I don't think, mostly just tires, pads and rotors. Inadequate maintenance, oil level and owner abuse would. Bondurant Vipers were maintained well by all accounts and have probably been quite reliable. Does anyone know how the Bondurant Vipers are holding up?
    Join the VIper Club of Ontario, the 2nd largest club in the VOA!
    With over 50 days of events in 2022 we have something for everyone!
    Our 2023 Events Calendar will once again feature fantastic social events, and a very comprehensive Track Program!
    Visit www.viperclubofontario.com, and contact Bruce at vcotracks@gmail.com for club and membership details!

2014 SRT Black TA, 83,000 kms. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 28,000 kms. Sometimes you just want to fly under the radar!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    I get it and I understand. I'd contact Calvo...see if they're interested in assessing the situation, doing a thorough inspection, etc. and their rebuild service. You don't have to get a 9L, etc. but when it leaves their shop then you'll have peace of mind and will be able to enjoy it.
    It's heading over to prefix, so it should be fine. At current trade in, I'll be looking at a 60k loss in under a year. Smh

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    I remember I thought you said you got a PPI on the car before you purchased it. Is there no recourse there?
    2014 GTS

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    I remember I thought you said you got a PPI on the car before you purchased it. Is there no recourse there?
    No clue. They missed the tires on the PPI, wouldn't be surprised if the dealer slid them some extra cash.

This is the breakdown
    Screenshot_20220922-162818_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220922-162827_Office.jpg

If anyone knows anyone who is looking to buy, let me know. After this, the car shouldn't need anything.

Clutch 1k miles ago
    Tires 4.5k k miles ago
    Pads 8k miles ago.
    Belanger exhaust, hi flow cats, underdrive pulley, k&n intake
    Hp tuners dongle.
    Front PPF
    Ta aero
    Sidewinder wheels
    Of that really only the clutch, pads, bearings have been previous owner issues.. the rest was for fun or just normal wear and tear…

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Tracking a Gen V wouldn't have caused any of these problems I don't think, mostly just tires, pads and rotors. Inadequate maintenance, oil level and owner abuse would. Bondurant Vipers were maintained well by all accounts and have probably been quite reliable. Does anyone know how the Bondurant Vipers are holding up?
    Agree completely..

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    Of that really only the clutch, pads, bearings have been previous owner issues.. the rest was for fun or just normal wear and tear…

Agree completely..
    The mods came with the car, except the dongle.
    They're adamant about shipping the engine off to prefix and I don't know enough to fight em on it

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post

Eh, tracking a car enough will definitely accelerate wear on the engine. Getting 100-120 hours out of a tracked engine is really good. That's about 7,000 highway miles.
    My BRZ engine is about that and it's smoking and pretty tired. It's also not an 8.4L V10.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, ACR sways, carbon stuff, TA spoiler.
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded. 2016 Lexus GX460: Full boring

They're adamant about shipping the engine off to prefix and I don't know enough to fight em on it
    Any thoughts on just sending the car to prefix and let them do the entire job? At that point you can be confident the entire process, engine removal, rebuild, install and final road test was done right. If for some reason you do have a problem you only have one shop to deal with and avoid the finger pointing.
    Brian E

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian E View Post
    Any thoughts on just sending the car to prefix and let them do the entire job? At that point you can be confident the entire process, engine removal, rebuild, install and final road test was done right. If for some reason you do have a problem you only have one shop to deal with and avoid the finger pointing.
    For some reason I was thinking prefix was in Tomball, the shipping alone would be 4-5k roundtrip

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    Getting 100-120 hours out of a tracked engine is really good.
    GTFO...that's practically defined as the recommended break-in on a Viper, lol!

Edit...Gen V Viper.
    Last edited by Bruce H.; 1 Week Ago at 05:32 PM.
    Join the VIper Club of Ontario, the 2nd largest club in the VOA!
    With over 50 days of events in 2022 we have something for everyone!
    Our 2023 Events Calendar will once again feature fantastic social events, and a very comprehensive Track Program!
    Visit www.viperclubofontario.com, and contact Bruce at vcotracks@gmail.com for club and membership details!

2014 SRT Black TA, 83,000 kms. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 28,000 kms. Sometimes you just want to fly under the radar!

Mikey, bad luck bro! I feel your anxiety!
    I had my gen 2 engine rebuilt by Prefix a couple years ago. Somehow water got into the crankcase: they could only assume from the timing cover gasket down by the oil pan is where it leaked. Anyway, they did a great job. Just a rebuild with new cam and springs, gaskets, hot tank, etc. Prefix rebuilt it, sent back to Mark J and crew and installed. Cost; parts & labor: ~ 17K. They even sent a “report” of specs and dyno runs. My car runs great!!!
    I totally understand your feelings to want to sell….at least at present date…, but you may change your mind once you get it back. Shit happens, man. Sorry bro.

Let Prefix do it: have peace of mind.

Wishing the best for ya

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post
    Mikey, bad luck bro! I feel your anxiety!
    I had my gen 2 engine rebuilt by Prefix a couple years ago. Somehow water got into the crankcase: they could only assume from the timing cover gasket down by the oil pan is where it leaked. Anyway, they did a great job. Just a rebuild with new cam and springs, gaskets, hot tank, etc. Prefix rebuilt it, sent back to Mark J and crew and installed. Cost; parts & labor: ~ 17K. They even sent a “report” of specs and dyno runs. My car runs great!!!
    I totally understand your feelings to want to sell….at least at present date…, but you may change your mind once you get it back. Shit happens, man. Sorry bro.

Let Prefix do it: have peace of mind.

Wishing the best for ya
    Thanks boss, apparently an ACR is at the shop as well with a blown motor, so mine will get shipped out after his. I wouldn't be AS upset if these things didn't all happen within the first 6 months of ownership. I'm glad yours is back up to speed, I heard they tune the engine and everything so I don't need to break it in

I probably just need time to cool off, the car is the only thing I splurge on so I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a corolla in the garage

send the whole car to Prefix if you're going full rebuild including R&R engine.. they're awesome to work with.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    This is a tough one - I've been following, and I'd be in a bad place if this were my car. The emotional thing to do would be to just get it fixed and get it on the road again. I'd likely go that route...

The "logical" thing to do would be to see what all the parts are worth and then make a financial decision. With no parts available anywhere, a donor car might be worth more than the whole car. I hate to say that because it goes against everything I believe in, but in this marketplace, with parts at such a scarcity, the melt value of our cars is more than their face value nowadays. When you think about all the good (and scarce) parts there are, it might just be worth looking at, and then find a clean car to replace it with. Again, disregard if this is a stupid comment.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    This is a tough one - I've been following, and I'd be in a bad place if this were my car. The emotional thing to do would be to just get it fixed and get it on the road again. I'd likely go that route...

The "logical" thing to do would be to see what all the parts are worth and then make a financial decision. With no parts available anywhere, a donor car might be worth more than the whole car. I hate to say that because it goes against everything I believe in, but in this marketplace, with parts at such a scarcity, the melt value of our cars is more than their face value nowadays. When you think about all the good (and scarce) parts there are, it might just be worth looking at, and then find a clean car to replace it with. Again, disregard if this is a stupid comment.
    I'm still on the fence. It's one thing to spend 35k to track, upgrade, etc, but 35k just to have it sit at the shop is another

LS swap?

Don't shoot me. Just a joke.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    LS swap?

Don't shoot me. Just a joke.
    This is what I'm looking at right now

Cylinder Block:
    Torque Plate Diamond Hone to finish bore
    Surface & Square Decks
    Hone Cam Bore
    Machine for Variable Cam Delete
    Hone Lifter Bores

Crankshaft- Repair Damage:
    Wet Magnaflux (crack check)
    Clearance Grind Mains
    Grind Rods to 2.100 Chevy Journal
    Radius Oil Holes
    Key Nose
    Nitride
    Straighten & Micro-Polish
    Precision Balance

Bearings:
    Mopar Main Bearing Set w/ Calico CT1 Surface Coating
    Clevite HNK Rod Bearings w/ Tri-Armor Coating

Connecting Rods:
    4340 H-Beam Steel Connecting Rods w/ ARP 2000 Rod Bolts

Pistons:
    Mahle Custom Forged Aluminum Pistons
    Double Pin Oilers
    Accumulator Groove
    Full Coating Package
    Mahle Wrist Pins w/ Wire locks

Piston Rings:
    Mahle Performance Ring package-
    1.2mm Steel Nitride Top Ring
    1.2m Napier Second Ring
    2.0mm Standard Tension Oil Ring

Camshaft/Timing- Variable Cam Delete
    EED/LSM Billet Steel Camshaft
    Bronze Thrust Plate
    Husco Valve Delete kit
    Mopar Gen 3 Double Roller Timing set
    Lifter/Pushrods
    Low bleed/ short travel hydraulic roller lifters
    Jesel steel dog bone lifter guides
    One Piece Alloy Pushrods

Cylinder heads:
    Rottler 5 angle single cut valve job
    Dual micro-polished valve springs
    lightweight steel retainers

Gasket & Seals:
    Cometic MLS head gaskets- Progressive water control ports
    Mopar Performance Gaskets and Seals

Other: Mopar Idler Pulley
    Mopar Serpentine Belt Tensioner
    Serpentine Bolt
    Spark Plugs
    Oil filter
    Last edited by Mikey; 1 Week Ago at 07:48 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast