Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Or go nuts and make your RB1 blue!

Quote Originally Posted by ohlarikd View Post
    Or go nuts and make your RB1 blue!

Ah! didn't know you were on here. Your thread on the other site helped me a bunch but the main post was buried at like the second to last page. Thanks for being the guinea pig on most of the stuff
    2006 Slate Grey Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greg View Post
    Ah! didn't know you were on here. Your thread on the other site helped me a bunch but the main post was buried at like the second to last page. Thanks for being the guinea pig on most of the stuff
    Yeah, still lurking about... That thread hasn't updated in a while cause I ran out of bulbs to replace. Although I did just replace my HIDs with 5000K to match the external LEDs...

LED interior upgrade makes a big difference - your's looks great!

I'll have to try the rotate trick. I get my bulbs on Saturday so I'll have to post up pics when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadLox View Post
    I'll have to try the rotate trick. I get my bulbs on Saturday so I'll have to post up pics when I'm done.
    Yes, LED are Light Emmitting DIODEs, and diodes only flow electricity in one direction and block flow in the other.

Ok, I pretty much got all the bulbs replaced and 90% of the interior put back together. I'm really debating replacing my head unit so I'm just going to leave it apart till I replace that next week. I AM 100% satisfied and happy with the results! It was wayyyy easier than I originally thought it would be to do
    It's A LOT OF GREEN LOL.

I've been wanting to do this since I got my car (since I don't care for the dull color of the stock bulbs) but have been putting it off.
    I just might have to do it now :/ lol.

VLEDs has a 20% off sale this Easter weekend. They sell mostly Exterior V3 LED systems for our cars. They are the best that I have used - brightest, and plug and play.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    If someone wanted to do all exterior, which ones should they get? Model numbers or links?
    2009 SSG ACR Hardcore 1 of 1 before it was cool
    2017 SSG ACR-eXtreme 1 of 1 after it was cool

Member #111

Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    If someone wanted to do all exterior, which ones should they get? Model numbers or links?
    I haven't verified the links in a while, but the parts and descriptions are valid.

For front blinkers, you can choose the standard amber (for parking and blinkers), or go with switchbacks (amber turn signal, but white parking)
    Description Purpose Quantity Link
    5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157 Choose either: Front Amber Blinker / White Parking 1 http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-wa-5k.html
    AMBER V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157 OR: Front Amber Blinker / Amber Parking 1 http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-a.html
    AMBER V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157 Rear Amber Blinkers 1 http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-a.html
    RED V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157 Rear Red Brakes 1 http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-r.html
    5K WHITE 10 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005 H10 9145 | 1 PAIR H10 Foglight Bulbs 1 http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-fog-lights/h10-9145/5k-white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-hb3-9005-h10-9145-1-pair.html
    T1.5-CWHP: PC74 LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : Cool White Instrument Panel 10 http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/pc74-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/709/
    NEO5-WHP: LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : 5mm Cool White HVAC 3 http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/
    NEO4-BHP: LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : 4mm Blue Key Ring 1 http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/
    WLED-WHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base : Cool White License Plate, Footwells, and Rearview Mirror 6 http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/
    WLED-A5-CBT: 194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower - AMBER Front Amber Side Markers in Headlight 2 http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-can-bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Based on my cart.

Swtichback Front w/ 3157 adapt $145
    Triton Rear Amber w/ 3157 adapt $110
    Triton Brake red w/3157 adapt $110
    5k white frog $60

Sub $425
    Easter -$85
    ------------
    Total $340

Does that seem right? Do you need a control box for each of the Tritons? I seem to recall reading you only needed 1 control box in the system, but my mind is foggy, it was about a year ago.

Thanks again for all the help!
    Last edited by ACRucrazy; 04-20-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Member #111

Based on my cart.

Swtichback front w/ 3157 adapt $145
    Triton Front amber w/ 3157 adpat $110
    Triton Brake red w/3157 adapt$110
    5k white frog $60

Sub $425
    Easter -$85
    ------------
    Total $340

Does that seem right? Do you need a control box for each of the Tritons? I seem to recall reading you only needed 1 control box in the system, but my mind is foggy, it was about a year ago.

Thanks again for all the help!
    The switchback front will be white as a parking light, but will turn amber when the blinker is turned on. Its the same bulb. So you should NOT also order the amber front. Just the switchback front.

As for control box - I believe you get them anyway. If you have the control box on the front blinkers, you would not need them on the rear blinkers since they are connected together. But in your case, the front blinkers and rear brake lights are on different circuits... I think you need both. Anyway - you get the boxes no matter what. You can ask VLED if they are both needed - they are very responsive to email queries in my experience.

I have non-V3 rear blinkers because I had them BEFORE the V3's came out. I used the LED tower bulbs, which were fine for the rare times the blinker was on, and the control box for the front V3 switchbacks took care of the 'fast blink' issue (no resistors needed).

Derek

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Cool, thanks for the reply, I had a typo there, but yea, I meant rear amber, not front amber.
    I may have to bite the bullet and do all the exterior with the sale.

Member #111

Cool, thanks for the reply, I had a typo there, but yea, I meant rear amber, not front amber.
    I may have to bite the bullet and do all the exterior with the sale.
    20% is a lot, since these V3s are expensive. 20% is rare at that site. The V3s are worth it when you see them, both in performance and also the way they are made.

If you only need one set of controllers for front and rear blinkers, put the controller in the rear - much more room back there. It was a tight fit in the front around the headlight area.

All aboard the fail boat!

So today I decided to tackle the turn signal bulbs - I bought some amber 3157 LEDs (tower SMD types), along with this relay to eliminate the dreaded fast flash:

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id=245

It did eliminate the fast flashing, but it did NOT cure another problem: with the LEDs installed, both brake lights would light up in unison with the blinker (so if the right blinker was on, the right front and right rear amber LEDs would flash along with BOTH sets of brake lights). That was no bueno, so I reinstalled the amber incandescent bulbs for now.

So what gives? The coupe and convertible tail lights are different (the coupes have the same tail lights that all Viper coupes have had) - they use 3 x 3157 type red LEDs per side, and there are no issues with them as long as the turn signals are standard bulbs. Put just one LED in the mix and it all goes to hell.

Is the wiring the same between the convertibles and the coupes? The only options to fix this are to:

A. Add load resistors (don't want to do that)
    B. Use the V3 bulbs, which are super expensive but have the required load built in (I'm not currently willing to plunk down that much change just to get those last 4 bulbs to cooperate)

Any thoughts or others that have had similar experiences with the turn signals?
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Ok, quick question.... I assume that the mileage display is also linked to the LED's? Mine isn't lit up anymore -.- ... So I'm guessing I put the LED in that spot the wrong direction lol. I didn't notice until I had everything back together.

Ok, quick question.... I assume that the mileage display is also linked to the LED's? Mine isn't lit up anymore -.- ... So I'm guessing I put the LED in that spot the wrong direction lol. I didn't notice until I had everything back together.
    If I recall, there is a bulb for the odometer, so yeah, I think its in backwards. Guess its coming apart again... But it will take half the time this go around I bet.
    Last edited by ohlarikd; 04-21-2014 at 05:17 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Just placed an order for switchbacks, fogs, rears and brake lights. 3 of the 4 are on back order. 20% off sale must have been good. Only the fogs were on backorder when I checked yesterday.

Member #111

Just placed an order for switchbacks, fogs, rears and brake lights. 3 of the 4 are on back order. 20% off sale must have been good. Only the fogs were on backorder when I checked yesterday.
    Excellent! The V3's seem to go on backorder pretty regularly. But worth the wait.

Yes, the ODO is supposed to light up, and yes, its one of the 6 bulbs you replaced on that panel. Man, if I were you, I'd be asking if I really need it to light up haha!
    2006 Slate Grey Coupe

Dumb question ... can these be dimmed like the stock bulbs using the turn signal stalk ? They seem a bit on the bright side in the pics.
    06' SRT Coupe / A&C Performance build

Yes they can since the Viper uses a PWM dimmer.
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    South Florida
    Tech Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    All aboard the fail boat!

So today I decided to tackle the turn signal bulbs - I bought some amber 3157 LEDs (tower SMD types), along with this relay to eliminate the dreaded fast flash:

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id=245

It did eliminate the fast flashing, but it did NOT cure another problem: with the LEDs installed, both brake lights would light up in unison with the blinker (so if the right blinker was on, the right front and right rear amber LEDs would flash along with BOTH sets of brake lights). That was no bueno, so I reinstalled the amber incandescent bulbs for now.

So what gives? The coupe and convertible tail lights are different (the coupes have the same tail lights that all Viper coupes have had) - they use 3 x 3157 type red LEDs per side, and there are no issues with them as long as the turn signals are standard bulbs. Put just one LED in the mix and it all goes to hell.

Is the wiring the same between the convertibles and the coupes? The only options to fix this are to:

A. Add load resistors (don't want to do that)
    B. Use the V3 bulbs, which are super expensive but have the required load built in (I'm not currently willing to plunk down that much change just to get those last 4 bulbs to cooperate)

Any thoughts or others that have had similar experiences with the turn signals?

As posted on the other site:

This is definitely a first. I can tell you without question it does not apply to any Verts, nor have I heard from any Coupe owners that there is a problem- but again, I have no idea who many are that buy these and for what use.

Based on what you are saying, the problem is obviously a back-feed somewhere in the system. The Brake Lamps are being fed by the turn signal. It is likely how the system is grounded or the selection of parts you are using. I will take a look at the wiring diagram for a coupe and report back. Edit: Just looked. All grounds on the rear tail are common per side on the coupe, just like the Vert. This means that a few things could be causing this:

1. Poor chassis ground. All current at that small level should be going directly to ground, but for some reason it is back-feeding your brake lamps. Check grounds on each side.

2. Non-polarized brake lamp bulbs. {We don't use these for this reason} Polarized bulbs would be incapable of back-feeding like you are describing.

3. Load-resisted turn signals. {We don't use these for this reason} These will pass enough current to upset things, especially if mixed with non-load resisted brake lamps and non-polarized bulbs.

4. Any chance the coupe has "repeater" side markers like the front of the coupe/vert have from the factory? This incandescent bulb may be causing an issue as well. I honestly cannot recall if it does or not, and have all Verts here at the moment.

Also, just curious, what exactly did you alter or omit from the front turn signals in order to get them properly working? I assume the ground was altered or the outer bulb is being left out when adding the four primary LED's in the corners? Make sure that you have the "small" outer turn signal unplugged at this time to make sure it is not related to the back-feed, which it could be if it is still incandescent or bi-polar. This is highly unlikely to be the cause, but just figured its worth a quick "unplug" to isolate.
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

#2 is the culprit here most likely...I had to do some digging to figure out if they were polarized or not, and they apparently aren't.

All of the bulbs in the car are LEDs minus the turn signals (4 bulbs total). The front side markers are LEDs, but are the CAN/BUS variety so they function correctly when the turn signals and hazzards are on:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-tower/1127/

There was nothing I omitted to get them working properly again - the only thing I could do was replace all four turn signal bulbs with the incandescents.

At this point, I'll just live with my mistake - I'd have to replace all 6 brake light bulbs, and that adds up quick. Guess that's what I get for mixing and matching stuff...your relay definitely did what it was supposed to do though. From what I can see, there don't appear to be a whole lot of polarized 3157 LED bulbs out there...why is that?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    South Florida
    Tech Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    #2 is the culprit here most likely...I had to do some digging to figure out if they were polarized or not, and they apparently aren't.

All of the bulbs in the car are LEDs minus the turn signals (4 bulbs total). The front side markers are LEDs, but are the CAN/BUS variety so they function correctly when the turn signals and hazzards are on:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-tower/1127/

There was nothing I omitted to get them working properly again - the only thing I could do was replace all four turn signal bulbs with the incandescents.

At this point, I'll just live with my mistake - I'd have to replace all 6 brake light bulbs, and that adds up quick. Guess that's what I get for mixing and matching stuff...your relay definitely did what it was supposed to do though. From what I can see, there don't appear to be a whole lot of polarized 3157 LED bulbs out there...why is that?
    Hey Steve,

I am fairly sure you nailed the issue.

We do wire up our fronts differently, as with the switchback, we keep the Amber outer OFF during parking light illumination as to "white out" the front. The CAN-Bus versions end up working on opposite formation if I recall compared to our end result.

That said, double check on the repeaters for the rear, if they are indeed wired that way. If those are still incandescent, they may cause you an issue of one type of another even after the brakes are sorted.

Also, make sure your LED's don't have load boxes/resistors, those are NOT good for the LED specific relay [nor your issue]
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast