Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Its an old thread, but where are the steering column bolts? On my 2006 VOI9? With the blue interior I have to do blue gauge lights. For anyone else doing this, release the starter button wiring harness from the drivers side, and both AC connectors from the passenger side. I had to pry the connectors apart after depressing the release clip. Just stick a flat blade screwdriver in between the connector and the housing, press the clip, and twist the screwdriver. I could not get enough leverage to just pull the connectors apart. That was the only difficult part of getting the center bezel off.
    Last edited by dposea; 01-01-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Has anyone had issues mounting the V3 (now v6) triton resistor to the surface below the headlight housing? VLED wants the resistor mounted to a metallic surface as it gets hot, however, there is not a great metallic location in the wheel well.
    Last edited by osuaero; 01-30-2020 at 10:58 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2022
    Crossroads of America
    Just finished installing LEDs in my '05 convertible. The new lighting looks excellent!

It's worth noting that the bulbs used for the the rearview mirror lights, footwells, and tag are incredibly bright. Some people may find that problematic. But overall it's definitely a big improvement.

Next I'll be upgrading all of the exterior lights (fog, tail, turn signals, side markers) to LED.

Also, big thanks to @NMviperguy for the video. Very helpful for a novice like me.

Enthusiast
    Does anyone know where the flasher module is for the turn signals/hazards? I assume under the dash somewhere. But, I was hoping someone knew exactly there before I went and twisted myself in knots. I need the module switched out to stop the fast flash. Gen 3 Roadster...

timthumb.jpeg

It's on the top half of the steering column right behind the steering wheel.

Remove the cover - should be under there.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 10.86 @ 130.66, 1.68 60' (+1,344 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Enthusiast
    Thanks Steve!

Knowing the location should make the replacement a breeze.

Enthusiast
    Ugh, that was a simple swap, but it was not fruitful. I had the same issue mentioned in another thread, the hazards don't work and the turn signals also trigger the opposite brake light and license plate light as well. Very strange. I guess I need the bulbs with the resistors.

Not sure if what you tried is any different from what Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty Performance offers here: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id/245

https://www.viperclub.org/vca/thread...g-guys.669685/
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 10.86 @ 130.66, 1.68 60' (+1,344 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Not sure if what you tried is any different from what Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty Performance offers here: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id/245

https://www.viperclub.org/vca/thread...g-guys.669685/
    Thanks!

Yes, I saw that. Unfortunately, the checkout feature on the site is not working. I think what he has is the same as what I already have from the superbrightleds site.

Also, I read in another thread that it still did not stop the strange brake light behavior that I am experiencing. So, I guess I have no choice but to add resistors or go back to the factory incandescents or at least for the turn signals.

As soon as you add an LED bulb without resistors to the flasher circuit, it wreaks havoc on the entire system.
    Last edited by jpmst3; 12-19-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Enthusiast
    I ordered four resistors from Amazon that have free returns. They are in line with the sockets and don't need any taps on the factory wires.
    I saw there are bulbs with resistors built in. However, they say in the disclaimers that it may not be enough for some vehicles and additional resistors may be required. I didn't want to buy more bulbs and then potentially need resistors anyway or have some sort of inconsistent behavior. My first road trip in the spring will be for state inspection, the last thing I want is a circus involving basic lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PSECAW75&psc=1

In case anyone else reads this thread, from what I understand you have to take note of which sockets are on the resistors if you are going to add/order the inline version. Since these things work with many similar bulb types, the new twist in sockets are not always the mate for the vehicle side. Apparently, the foreign cars can be different. The set referenced above should fit domestic vehicles, ala Viper.
    Last edited by jpmst3; 12-19-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    What we offer is not what you guys are ordering elsewhere... we alter ours for LED use, we dont buy them.

Hence why they work right, every time. LOL

Unfortunately, I cant make any of them right now due to parts availability. We used to stock more of them... but ever since this thread, everyone only contacts us for the impossible to find parts or the custom stuff, which also happen to have rather poor cost:benefit to the bottom line when sold on their own. The remaining one or two I had are part of the full exterior packages I have sitting around somewhere.
    Last edited by Viper Specialty; 12-20-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    What we offer is not what you guys are ordering elsewhere... we buy/alter ours for LED use, we dont buy them.

Hence why they work right, every time. LOL

Unfortunately, I cant make any of them right now due to parts availability. We used to stock more of them... but ever since this thread, everyone only contacts us for the impossible to find parts or the custom stuff, which also happen to have rather poor cost:benefit to the bottom line when sold on their own. The remaining one or two I had are part of the full exterior packages I have sitting around somewhere.
    Thanks for providing the clarification, good to know! I am sure that will be helpful to those seeing this thread in the future. That's a major bummer that they are not able to be manufactured, although not surprising with all the madness.
    If you get one in the near future, let me know and I will return the resistors before I install them.
    Last edited by jpmst3; 12-20-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyk_6 View Post
    Just finished installing LEDs in my '05 convertible. The new lighting looks excellent!

It's worth noting that the bulbs used for the the rearview mirror lights, footwells, and tag are incredibly bright. Some people may find that problematic. But overall it's definitely a big improvement.

Next I'll be upgrading all of the exterior lights (fog, tail, turn signals, side markers) to LED.

Also, big thanks to @NMviperguy for the video. Very helpful for a novice like me.
    That does look great! What an improvement! I might go with red footwells and mirror lights, I'll see how well I can see with all red.
    That gauges are outstanding too! I have half an inclination to want to go red there too, but I think that might get tiresome after a while. Although, I would rarely be driving at night anyway, but still.
    It would be nice if there was a quick wire to tape into that would have the footwells stay on while the ignition is on. I might go that route as well.
    Last edited by jpmst3; 12-20-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Enthusiast
    This cheapie Amazon resistors work perfectly with the stock flasher module. I just had to zip tie the extra wires and heatsinks up. Holy $&$^! do the resistors get hot. The back set is only on during turning, so there is little to no heat. The front ones that are on with the rest of the lights get HOT. So, I tied them together and kept them away from other components. The exterior is now fully converted sans the high beams. I will rarely if ever use those, so I can either get them later or never.

Here's an interesting issue I ran into.

Over the past few years, I've had a couple of LED failures in the 4 gauge cluster on the dash. The few times it has happened, it's been intermittent (i.e. it would blink, or go out and then come back on a few minutes later). I dismissed it as cheap Chinese shit LEDs, but it's rare to have a low voltage LED fail, especially intermittently.

Unfortunately, when one fails, you have to pull the entire dash apart to get to it. Total PITA.

As I was messing around with both gauge clusters, I noticed a couple of things, both dealing with the T5 twist lock sockets/bulb holders. The first thing I noticed was that some of them seemed a bit loose. The second can be seen (somewhat) in the picture below:

On the left is a new socket fresh off the boat from the friendly folks at Amazon. The two on the right are a couple of the old sockets - the one in the middle is missing one of the tabs that makes contact with the bulbs, and the one on the right had tabs that were so close together they were almost touching until I tried pushing them apart with a small screwdriver.

Most of mine were like this, so I replaced them all. They aren't expensive, and the new ones fit WAY tighter on the circuit boards. This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if you find one of your dash LEDs blinking randomly (which is incredibly distracting at night), don't automatically assume it is a problem with the LEDs.

I've spent years chasing this problem...my ignorance sometimes knows no bounds. Time will tell if this fixes the problem, but so far, so good.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Great post Steve ! I've found similar in other vehicles.
    Charter Member , SS OHIO

Enthusiast
    Ohhhhhhhh great! I just replaced all of mine with LEDs a couple of weeks back. There were some that were definitely flaky and needed twisted just right to get them to stay on. I guess I have that to look forward to as well.

Everything is so damn cheap nowadays. Grrr.
    Last edited by jpmst3; 01-12-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Enthusiast
    Appreciate this thread and discussion being renewed, as I wanted to start with an INTERIOR upgrade myself on this.

Steve M...assume you just need (x4) of these for *JUST* the Dashboard...more are not needed for the small gauges (oil pressure, etc,) to the right of the main dash, correct? Figured I'm just going to be proactive on this point, regardless of the shape of the OEM ones.

Also...just a TWIST on these...no soldering or anything fancy to install, correct?

Know the Amazon package would clearly cover all, but just wanted to ask as I was building my order with Dan@ViperSpecialty.

Have a great balance to the week-
    Last edited by RedDogOhio; 01-12-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
    Ohhhhhhhh great! I just replaced all of mine with LEDs a couple of weeks back. There were some that were definitely flaky and needed twisted just right to get them to stay on. I guess I have that to look forward to as well.

Everything is so damn cheap nowadays. Grrr.
    They definitely don't seem to tolerate being removed/replaced more than a few times. I was also very surprised to see how close together some of the tabs were to each other. Not even sure what possessed me to examine them, but I'm glad I caught it.

My issues always cropped up at the drag strip. Seems like a good burnout or launch would cause one to go out, and it would usually come back on by the end of the pass. You can see it go off in this pass (around the 30 second mark, bottom gauge in the 4-gauge cluster). That time it didn't come back on until much later that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDogOhio View Post
    Appreciate this thread and discussion being renewed, as I wanted to start with an INTERIOR upgrade myself on this.

Steve M...assume you just need (x4) of these for *JUST* the Dashboard...more are not needed for the small gauges (oil pressure, etc,) to the right of the main dash, correct? Figured I'm just going to be proactive on this point, regardless of the shape of the OEM ones.

Also...just a TWIST on these...no soldering or anything fancy to install, correct?

Know the Amazon package would clearly cover all, but just wanted to ask as I was building my order with Dan@ViperSpecialty.

Have a great balance to the week-
    You need 10 total between the main gauge cluster and the 4 gauge cluster on the right. It's 6 in the main cluster, 4 in the cluster with oil pressure/temp/etc. I ordered two packages of 10 just so I'd have extra. And yes, the old ones twist out. Insert your new bulbs in these, and twist back into place. No soldering, no nothing.

The warning bulbs in the main gauge cluster use a totally different holder. FWIW, I did not change out the warning lights...I left those stock (filament bulbs).

And here's another free tip: at some point when you are taking the gauge clusters in/out of the car, you are going to get some scratches on the lenses unless you are really, really careful. I almost considered replacing my 4-gauge cluster because of it. The scratches I had weren't deep enough to catch your fingernail, but they would catch my eye every time I drove the car. And that made me sad.

But have no fear, for this miracle in a bottle is the answer:

Picked it up at my local AutoZone. You can use it by hand, but I don't have that kinda patience anymore, so I used it with my small DA polisher (Griot's G8) and a 1" white foam pad.

A couple of rounds with that and it's like the scratches were never even there. I was impressed, hence my recommendation.

Enthusiast
    I was going to add a dab of dielectric grease to the tabs for insurance, but I didn't. Now, I am wishing I would have. Oh well, here's to hoping they stay on.

I have not used the PlastX version. But, I have used the regular Meguiar's polish on plastic on numerous occasions, and it works wonders. It is amazing how easy it is. In fact, I just remembered that I used it on the radio display a couple of weeks back, and it looks like new.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910