Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Team
    I have had this issue on numerous cars, 3 times on one car with all the changes. Disconnect the rear defroster connection at the rear hatch glass.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by finalleaf View Post
    curious, which dealer are you going with? I also have maxcare in CA and was wondering where I should be going
    I use Normandin in San Jose. Paul Normandin is a Viper owner, avid track rat, and he's always been a big supporter of the VOA - he hosted many events over the years. They are down to just a couple of Viper Techs the last I heard, but everyone in the Bay Area goes to them and service has been outstanding.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    I have had this issue on numerous cars, 3 times on one car with all the changes. Disconnect the rear defroster connection at the rear hatch glass.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.
    I'm going to do that - I'm not sure if the fuse controls anything else (probably doesn't) but disconnecting and wrapping the connector seems to be a good thing to do since it isolates the problem area.

Enthusiast
    Shrink wrap the connector once removed and tuck it away.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe -- Sold moving toward a GEN V.
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post
    Shrink wrap the connector once removed and tuck it away.
    Perfect advice. Thanks!!!

So why not just pull the fuse?

Web Site Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    I would imagine should the car change hands and the previous owner forgets to tell the new owner about the issue the new owner could end up replacing the fuse, thinking they're missing one and then once they hit that button and….BOOM! I would imagine not many people check the connections at the glass if there is an issue with the rear defroster. Just a thought. Not implying that the OP would do anything malicious if they were to get rid of the car.
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Honestly, I don't know why I wouldn't just pull the fuse - except that I have no idea what else that fuse may be powering. I'd need to look it up because I've pulled fuses before and then I had random things stop working that I thought were totally unrelated. In this case, I'm never going to sell the car, so shrink wrapping the connector to the defroster seems to be the best solution. In this case, I had never used the defroster before - but I never took the car out in cold weather. It's ironic that the very first time I pressed that button, I saw smoke and then it went boom. I kind of wish I tested it out when I picked the car up back in 2017 - back then, parts were available and it would still have been at the dealership. Now, I've got to figure out how to get it to the dealership - I don't want to drive it in this weather, and I don't trust the towing companies.

Sorry to hear that Martin. Huge Bummer...
    I don't think I have ever turned mine on. I have insulated the carbon from the window everywhere it is even in near proximity. Not sure if this would help, but I ain't testing it though.
    Just out of interest is there anyone with an ACR who has used their rear defroster regularly without issue?

Enthusiast
    What years does this affect? I'm going to pull the fuse regardless

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Wow.. Thanks for posting.
    2014 GTS Yellow & White ( 1of 1 color scheme) -87 GN -87 Ford Mustang GT 2006 AMG E55
    2003 SRT 10 - 2016 PCP Hellcat Charger 9.58@142.94 (blower only record holder)
    2014 300 SRT 8 ( love this thing)

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Mikey...2013-2017 Vipers.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Mikey...2013-2017 Vipers.
    Wow. Unacceptable.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wow. Unacceptable.
    With everything else you've gone through with your car, definitely pull the fuse or disconnect the defroster... Windows seem to be tough to get, and they're expensive...

Where is the rear defroster connection at the rear glass?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Honestly, I don't know why I wouldn't just pull the fuse - except that I have no idea what else that fuse may be powering. I'd need to look it up because I've pulled fuses before and then I had random things stop working that I thought were totally unrelated. In this case, I'm never going to sell the car, so shrink wrapping the connector to the defroster seems to be the best solution. In this case, I had never used the defroster before - but I never took the car out in cold weather. It's ironic that the very first time I pressed that button, I saw smoke and then it went boom. I kind of wish I tested it out when I picked the car up back in 2017 - back then, parts were available and it would still have been at the dealership. Now, I've got to figure out how to get it to the dealership - I don't want to drive it in this weather, and I don't trust the towing companies.
    I'm sure some of the members in the VOA close to you have trailers. Might want to try to reach out to them. Most towing companies won't have the approach angle needed for your ACR. Also make sure they use the tiedowns on the frame members front and rear or the over the tire type. Good luck.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe -- Sold moving toward a GEN V.
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

Enthusiast
    With everything else you've gone through with your car, definitely pull the fuse or disconnect the defroster... Windows seem to be tough to get, and they're expensive...

As far as the tow, is part of the splitter removable? My car has ta 2.0 guards and was able to get onto the trailer without a problem

Quote Originally Posted by 02192viper View Post
    Where is the rear defroster connection at the rear glass?
    It'll be up where the hatch hinges to the roof line. Shouldn't be hard to see.
    Nick Anderson

VCC #003

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post
    I'm sure some of the members in the VOA close to you have trailers. Might want to try to reach out to them. Most towing companies won't have the approach angle needed for your ACR. Also make sure they use the tiedowns on the frame members front and rear or the over the tire type. Good luck.
    I think what I need to find is an exotic car transport - one that has a full-car lift so that the car can just drive into the trailer. I'm sure there are people local who could help, but I don't want to put anyone out. I think the solution to this is to use the professional "temporary window" wrap that JonB suggested (https://www.marcyadhesives.com/autog...ts/windowguard), keep the car in the Car Capsule that I just bought, have a dehumidifier running (just for my own sanity - this area is crazy humid this time of year), and then drive it to the dealer when my road looks safe enough.

The windows seem to be available - but that might be a mirage. I found some Mopar online stores that have them, and when I put them in my cart, I got a "out of stock" message. If the dealer can find one, that might speed things up a bit.

The other alternative is the dealer says we might be able to get some techs out to my place and they'll do the install. From there, I'll have the TSB done when the weather is a bit better (although I'm going to leave the connectors loose and shrink wrap them).

This is just one more reason I should buy a trailer. I've wanted one forever, but can't seem to find one that fits my needs. They're also expensive as heck, and my tow vehicle is on the fritz, so the priority to get one fell pretty fast.

I had this before my car arrived. Absolutely critical.

IMG_5419.jpg

The windows seem to be available - but that might be a mirage. I found some Mopar online stores that have them, and when I put them in my cart, I got a "out of stock" message. If the dealer can find one, that might speed things up a bit.
    This is a recurring theme - I went through this at the end of last year when I was looking for various parts. I placed an order thinking that they wouldn't let you check out if they didn't have it somewhere in their inventory. A day later, and I'd get an email saying they cancelled my order with no explanation.

Frustrating to say the least.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 10.86 @ 130.66, 1.68 60' (+1,344 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    Sorry to hear that Martin. Huge Bummer...
    I don't think I have ever turned mine on. I have insulated the carbon from the window everywhere it is even in near proximity. Not sure if this would help, but I ain't testing it though.
    Just out of interest is there anyone with an ACR who has used their rear defroster regularly without issue?
    I heard about this years ago so I had my dealer take care of the issue following the TSB. We agreed to wait until the fall and I would bring the car back in to "test" the fix, just in case it didn't work then they would have all winter to source the new glass, etc. That fall they tested it in front of me. Worked fine.
    I've used my rear defroster multiple times. No issue.

Quite frankly even if it weren't on warranty ...with this being a known issue and having a TSB fix, they don't really have an argument not to fix it. Waiting for the part is the biggest issue.

Good luck. Gorgeous car!
    Last edited by RT SERPENT; 1 Week Ago at 01:29 PM.
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by RT SERPENT View Post

Good luck. Gorgeous car!
    Thanks!!! I agonized over choosing the Stryker Purple for so long that I almost missed the unexpected order freeze back then. The problem with the purple is it just can't be done justice in photos, and I had never seen one in person. When seen in the sun, and especially in mixed light (like with bright sun through the trees), it's breathtaking. I'm really glad this defroster incident didn't mess up the paint. I did a search on it, and found a few stories where the wires and carbon fiber got so hot that it messed the bodywork up. I saw one posting where a white car had a giant brown discoloration, and the carbon fiber looked like it delaminated. That would just be no bueno - I'm not sure how Dodge would fix that as a TSB fix.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    I had this before my car arrived. Absolutely critical.
    I'm hoping to get a tow hook installed when the car is in the shop for the defroster issue. There are just no good places to attach to the car without causing damage. I'm always paranoid that something will go wrong and I'll need a tow. I've held off because I saw one car with some bent supports (where these are mounted) due to getting dragged out of a nasty off track excursion, but I've heard that these are 99% safe as long as the car can roll somewhat smoothly.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    I would steer clear of removing the whole hatch due to good luck on getting it to align back the same, I know a gen 4 acr is a mother to get back correctly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast