Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Those who have done ceramic coatings, worth it?

Did you get wheels done?

For prep, application, including wheels local guy is quoting me ~$1000

Are you happy with it? What did you pay? Does it really make cleaning much easier? Does the car stay clean a lot longer?
    2015 Silver SRT
    2013 White SRT + Corsa Exhaust (Sold)

Following this as well.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America
    I would like to know as well, But i do enjoy paint correction on my vehicles and wonder if those days are out the window. Once you add teh ceramic coat thier is no need to machine polish your car or yu will remove that layer. JUNKMAN pipe in.

Bruce
    2009 ACR GTS Blue with Black stripes (1 of 2)
    MoparGarage.net
    Mopar Knights FB page

I would def do the wheels.

Modesta BC04 is amazing.

You must completely polish the paint to perfection first.

But general dirt and airborne contamination; water etc pretty much rolls off.

Edit: And yea your pricing is inline with what some detailers im familiar with charge.

IMG_20140721_114029429_HDR.jpg
    Had my GTS done in July and couldn't be more impressed. No more waxing, just spray wash using my spotless water system and blow dry. In fact paint looks so flawless that I had my wife's DB9 done.
    2013 GTS Black/Gunmetal
    2002 GTS Graphite/Silver

I had my two previous vipers done with Opticoat . The stuff is amazing. No more wax and water rolls off. Shines better too. I had my Gen V done with Optigloss the week I bought it. The detailer said it was a watered down version of Opticoat and would not last as long but would be more glossy. I went with it because I plan on trading this off for an ACR when they come out. It been in the garage ever since so the jury is still out.However, Opticoat is excellent like i said. I live in Ohio and the Opticoat job was going to be $650 and the OptiGloss was $300. This included the wheels.
    The ACR will be Opticoated !

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Very happy with the job. I have had the car wrapped and a complete ceramic coating applied. You will want the wheels done as well. Just a quick spray and you are good to go no brake dust to deal with. It's not cheap but this ain't a Kia.

VIPER RAP 028.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FSTENUF; 01-31-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Southern California
    ^^^what they said^^^X4 If done right (paint correction first, then application) absolutely BRILLIANT, and yes you want to do the wheels. I will wash car then use "master blaster" air blower and micro fiber waffle weave (thank you Junkman) to dry and done. Shines like a new penny err Viper. As other have said it's expensive but these aren't Kia's ....JM2C
    Steve 1 of the #100's
    16 ACR E/ 1 of 1 "Bad MFr" - Billet Silver/ Black & Red w CF int./ ext.
    ARH Headers, Arrow PCM, VE Tractive Suspension

How long does it last?

Quote Originally Posted by cashcorn View Post
    How long does it last?
    Opticoat used to have a lifetime warranty . Now it is 5 years. Obviously , longevity would depend on the amount of sunlight a act would see. I have never owned one with the coating for over two years , yet. They looked as good as the day it was coated when I sold.

Enthusiast
    detailers tell me opticoat is good for 5 years, quartz finest 2

but, quartz will look the best during those two years
    2015 Silver SRT
    2013 White SRT + Corsa Exhaust (Sold)

I did my entire car today in Klasse...one of my favorites.
    13 GTS Track Pack * 09 E90 M3 * 10 FJ Cruiser *

I did C Quartz finest on paint and Opticoat for the durability on my wheels. C Quartz has a deeper, glossier look but does not last as long, although, unless you're driving your Viper through a lot of snow and rain and letting it sit out in the sun with caked dirt on it, I've been told it 'should' last more like 3-4 years. Hopefully I'll have bought a '16, '17 ACR by then and not have to worry about reapplication.

Basically, it looks like you polished/waxed the car every time you wash it and minimizes swirl marks.
    -Chris
    '16 ACR Extreme - White / Black & Red | STAGE II Heads & Cam Package |
    '14 TA - White 19/33 | VE Active Suspension | Arrow PCM | Blah, Blah, Blah(sold)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    My local detailer was determined to do a full prep on my car regardless of what I said about Viper's paint coming in better condition than he likely achieves on other cars after hours of work. So instead of him doing it I bought 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating from him and did it myself.

I didn't do this on my previous '13 and wish I would have, it was at at the point at 10k miles that it needed a small paint correction due to light swirls. Ill reapply the coating ever other year and hopefully avoid any swirling issues.

To those considering it on a brand new car, you're likely getting quotes for paintwork that the car doesn't need. I'd recommend trying to negotiate the price down, no need to pay for work the paint doesn't need.

I went with Ceramic Pro. Very cool stuff. I just quick detail and drive it! http://ceramic-pro.com/
    No more waxing ....saves my back for the golf course!
    http://socalviper.com/message-board/...p?topic=1814.0
    You only live once but, you die forever....

Enthusiast
    I have all my cars done in this. Makes washing a breeze. Quick rinse of the dirt, Foam spray, sheet rinse and air blower dry. Makes for very easy washes after having the coatings.
    - 2015 Competition Blue Viper

OptiCoat on my GenIII after full paint correction. On Black it makes washing it now soo much better. If I had a new GenV I'd do the 22ple myself and no correction as mentioned above.

Has anyone used the new Ceramic Pro 9H? Suppose to combine the high gloss and permanent protection. Been getting some great reviews online.

I think I'll do this once I get the new car home for the dealership. A new car shouldn't need more than a great cleaning before applying right?
    Last edited by Zybane; 02-01-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Kala Rexroad
    VOA Social Media Director
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
    A new car shouldn't need more than a great cleaning before applying right?
    Black always seems to need work... We have a local installer coming next week to look at the cars then quote. He said something about using 9H strong on the install. I'm not sure about using strong over the regular 9H... anyone else get recommended to use strong?

Ceramic Pro Strong
    Ceramic Pro Strong is the product used in more rough environments. It is utilized as one component coating and should be applied in one layer. Once sprayed on a surface it is comparable to 40 coats of 9H. Strong is used on boat hulls, pipes, facades, rims, oil-rigs and many other industrial surfaces and materials. It protects the surface from any harsh chemicals, dirt, UV and growth leaving surfaces with less friction. The product is resistant to graffiti, solvents, acids, bases, and chemicals.
    Use the Report a post feature... It works!

Has anyone used the new Ceramic Pro 9H? Suppose to combine the high gloss and permanent protection. Been getting some great reviews online.

I think I'll do this once I get the new car home for the dealership. A new car shouldn't need more than a great cleaning before applying right?
    My car was new. They Clay barred and polished mine before coating .I was hesitant in letting them do this but I figured they new what they were doing. The detailer did told me it was the best factory paint job he has seen. No orange peel whatsoever.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    From what I have read, most of these products are 9H (OC, 22, Ceramic Pro, QC, GTechniq EXO v2, etc). The OC is the only lifetime one though. You can always put wax on top of OC to get more shine.

Looks like everyone approves of the coating from what I see so far on the thread. I'm a certified installer of Ceramic Pro on Long Island. I've been detailing professionally for about 7 years now and got involved with coatings over the last year. This stuff is definitely no joke.

They're are 3 different packages with Ceramic Pro depending how far into it you want to go. To give you guys an idea of what this usually goes for... your local detailer who is certified from CP will start off by quoting you a price on a paint correction ($395-$995 depending on condition and size) which is very important prior to applying ANY type of coating. No reason to perform a coating to paint that's filled with defects (scratches, swirls, etc..). Once the correction is done, your detailer will offer 3 packages including Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Bronze - 1 Coat of Ceramic Pro Light (2 year warranty with annual chick up) ($395-$495)
    Silver - 1 Coat of Ceramc Pro 9h and 1 coat of Ceramic Pro Light (5 year warranty with annual check up) ($795-$995)
    Gold - 4 coats of Ceramic Pro 9h and 1 coat of Ceramic Pro Light (Lifetime warranty with annual check up) ($1295-$1495)

A little pricey but you get what you pay for! After its applied all you have to is wash and maintain wkth Ceramic Pro Sport (Detail Spray) and you're good to go! Check out @synergydetailing on Instagram for some pictures of the CP process of interested.
    Last edited by Synergy; 02-01-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Do Vipers come on the delivery car carrier with the white film still applied all over the car's panels? I know the paint shop does quite a bit of buffing/polishing at the factory. Just curious if more buffing/polishing by the Ceramic Pro guys would really be necessary on a brand new car.

It makes sense to do it when its brand new that way you never have to worry about scratching your paint. Some coatings claim to be scratch resistant so it only makes sense to do it before you start washing it yourself. Although, a paint correction can always fix these issues, doing it right away will keep your costs down as it's easier to apply.

Do Vipers come on the delivery car carrier with the white film still applied all over the car's panels? I know the paint shop does quite a bit of buffing/polishing at the factory. Just curious if more buffing/polishing by the Ceramic Pro guys would really be necessary on a brand new car.

I was a big believer in opticoat until Modesta came out.

Modesta blows Cquartz away. Cq is glossier than Opti for sure. But not as durable or as shiny as Modesta.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast