Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gen 2 Ashtray/Cupholder Project

Hey guys,

Don't post here a ton but thought I would share a project I've been working on.

I'm an engineer, and I have a 3D printer, so I like to design/create cool stuff for our Gen 2 vipers.

Here's something I've been working on for the past few weeks. I've always hated the ashtray in my '97 GTS because it rattles, and I obviously don't smoke in my Viper (or at all for that matter) so it was pointless to me.

Another thing about the Gen 2 we all know, and I sometimes appreciate for its racecar purity, is that our cars do not have a cupholder. This is fine, but sometimes I bring the old ball and chain along for a ride, or I'm on a long Viper cruise or roadtrip to a car show and enjoy having a drink in the car.

I decided to try and remedy both of these above annoyances in one simple drop-in solution.

My goals for the project were:

1) Create a filler for the ashtray that looks cool and doesn't rattle
    2) Create a design where accessories can be added into the ashtray for functional use
    3) Accomplish 1&2 without permanently modifying or damaging the car in any way, shape or form

I know #3 is important to many of us since these cars are getting older by the day and we don't want to ruin or damage anything OEM.

Here's my stock viper:

Here's what I came up with.... I designed it with modularity in mind.

The circles you see are magnets. When you simply want a cool filler for the ashtray, you put in the magnetic Viper logo plate.

Okay, so now for the functional aspect. I designed a cupholder to fit into the insert which can be stored in your center console compartment when you don't need a drink, but can be swapped in seconds.

Cupholder in the closed position. Plenty of room for the passenger

Open. Still ample room for the passenger (I'm 6'3").

Drink safely in position

Plenty of room in the center console!

I think the coolest thing about this design is that I could think of endless magnetic accessories that could be added on for increased functionality. I welcome any ideas!

I'm considering selling these for fun to the viper community. Still working on price because I have to consider my time/materials/etc but I could make the color to match your car, just like mine in red. I also may try one skinned in carbon fiber.

I do this for fun, but if anyone else is interested it would be something fun to provide.

Thanks for reading

Alright, prototype #2 is complete, and addressed a couple of the things I did not like about the first design.

1st concern: Will the cupholder be able to support a heavy drink under aggressive cornering or driving?

2nd concern: A fixed L shape design did not lend well to storage in the center console. It fit but it was not very flexible for storage.

To address the issue of strength, I added 1.5" of material below the cupholder, with a bumper to sit below the center console material and rest against the carpet. This creates a much sturdier design when downward force is applied (a.k.a. a heavy drink).

By adding more length to the cupholder arm, it also increased the storage size of the unit.

To fix this, I added a hinge feature. I designed it with a stop in one direction, so when the hinge is open and in use, it cannot rotate.

- - - Updated - - -

Test Fit:

Cleaned up, painted, and magnets added.

Storage mode with hinge closed.

Prototype 1 in storage mode compared to Prototype 2 with hinge:

Installed:

As you can see, this new design with the bumper keeps any chance from the cupholder contacting the finished center console material, even under heavy load, which could cause damage to the finish.

Apologies for the dust

99 Viper ACR
    03 Corvette Z06
    99 Corvette (Sold), 02 Saleen S281SC (Sold)

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Carolinas
    That's a very clever idea....very nice!

NICE! I take Sweet Tea with me Every time i go anywhere EXCEPT when i'm in the Viper! Lol! I'm one of those people though that just CANNOT drink Tea thru a Straw, don't know Why but i really don't drink anything thru a Straw (hence why they usually Don't have a lid on them & it's virtually impossible to drive the Viper Without a cup WITH a lid on it)
    13' SRT Viper, 00' RT/10 Viper, 18' LS500 Lexus, 15' RCF Lexus, 08' H2 Hummer

Just love it
    Great engeneering.
    Are you planning on selling you idea??

Ben

My plan is to make and sell these to the Viper community just for fun.

I bought supplies to make a batch of 12. I'll put them up for sale once they are ready and depending on feedback and demand, I'd be willing to make more for anyone who wants one! I won't get rich by any means, but I'm doing it more as a hobby and to provide something cool to the Viper family.

That looks fantastic. 3D printing is the future! Now just make one that will hold my Note4 and stop it from flying out of the overhead netting and disappearing somewhere in the car lol! well done sir..well done!
    97 GTS, heads, cam, Belanger headers, catless, tune, 3.55's (THANKS JonB) custom ACR style wrap and more mods then I can remember! CAR IS SOLD!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    New England
    I assume it will work with a gen 1?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    I'm pretty convinced I need one of these, sign me up. My wife is tired of hearing the story about the "Blonde with 2 hands" serving as a cup holder in the early Vipers...
    96 GTS, 71 442, 72 FJ40, 51 F2, 15 Z/28
    Other reliable stuff for daily driving
    No Automatics!

Sounds good guys. Once I start to print out a few sets of parts for assembly I will start a list of who wants one to get demand.

As I stated, I can paint the logo and trim ring any color to match your viper exterior or something more generic like silver or gold.

I also am considering adding an option where you can put something custom on the plate below the viper symbol, for instance a member's initials, VOA member number, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue96GTS View Post
    I'm pretty convinced I need one of these, sign me up. My wife is tired of hearing the story about the "Blonde with 2 hands" serving as a cup holder in the early Vipers...
    LOL. My catless viper smells too bad for any girl to want a ride, including my wife

Quote Originally Posted by MalingatorGTS View Post
    That looks fantastic. 3D printing is the future! Now just make one that will hold my Note4 and stop it from flying out of the overhead netting and disappearing somewhere in the car lol! well done sir..well done!
    As I explained in my initial post, I think the beauty of this design is that I can continue to design add-ons that will fit the magnetic keyed setup I've created. I have a Note4 as well and considered designing a generic insert for MP3 holder, cell phone, etc, but didn't know how much interest that would garner since these are mostly weekend cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Propsail View Post
    I assume it will work with a gen 1?
    Good question. From looking at pictures, it appears to be the same geometry/layout on the center console. I'm sure some members on here could help me confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by blue96gts View Post
    i'm pretty convinced i need one of these, sign me up. My wife is tired of hearing the story about the "blonde with 2 hands" serving as a cup holder in the early vipers...
    lol...

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ SRT View Post
    Good question. From looking at pictures, it appears to be the same geometry/layout on the center console. I'm sure some members on here could help me confirm.
    Very cool design!
    I think they are the same, when they're ready I'll buy one, test it on my gen 1 and be the guinea pig :-)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Very cool! Definitely would be interested in one!

VOA Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZ SRT View Post
    I designed a cupholder to fit into the insert which can be stored in your center console compartment when you don't need a drink, but can be swapped in seconds.
    There's a compartment in the center console?

Do I have one in my 96 RT/10?

Where is it and how do I open it?

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Take my money!!! That a hell of alot better my setup now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 GTS (sold)
    14 GTS (sold)
    06 coupe

VOA Member
    since 2015
    Indiana/Kentucky

I can't believe you made this. Very cool craftsmanship

Awesome. GTS blue please.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Oklahoma

How much?

Damn good idea.

Dude, fill the passenger seat with a hot babe and ask her to hold your coffee.....done....

Pretty slick... So are you making and selling?

Impressive!
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

I would love one (depending on price), but even the insert without the cup holder would be awesome. Looks way better than factory
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

Sorry guys for the delay.

I have all the hinges, etc to make a first batch of 12, I just have gotten busy this summer.

I can say I successfully tested the design on an 8 hour round trip to a big car show in the Wisconsin Dells with a bunch of hot rod buddies and it performed flawlessly, at all speeds

I have had a couple people ask recently, so I'll stop being lazy and start printing parts and assembling!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast