Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 155
  1. #1

    8 speed auto in a gen 5 viper

    I am toying with the idea of installing a 8 speed auto transmission with paddle shifters.
    The cost of doing this would run around $12K to $15K with all new parts.
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in having this done before I spend the money on R&D to do this to one of my cars.
    Thanks
    Wayne
    XTREMESUPERCARS.COM
    .

  2. #2
    Firm believer that one good reason to buy viper is manual trans. Paddles are for pussies!

  3. #3
    Enthusiast Zybane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by XTREME SUPERCARS View Post
    I am toying with the idea of installing a 8 speed auto transmission with paddle shifters.
    The cost of doing this would run around $12K to $15K with all new parts.
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in having this done before I spend the money on R&D to do this to one of my cars.
    Thanks
    Wayne
    While I can see where you are coming from, I'm not particularly fond of the idea. Yes, I am sure there are some drivers out there that would buy a Viper with an auto, but a true manual is part of it's soul. Of course though it all comes down to your car and your money for you to do whatever you like with it.

    Just curious which auto you would go with, one of the ZF 8 speed's? I'd assume DCT price and packaging wouldn't be feasible?

  4. #4
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    Joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    425
    There are folks who would like a Viper that can't drive a manual - for reasons other than coordination or convenience. You don't have to drive a stick shift to be an enthusiast of performance cars. In fact, automatics are faster in the quarter mile than most manual transmissions. But to each his own.

    Quote Originally Posted by drueherl View Post
    Firm believer that one good reason to buy viper is manual trans. Paddles are for pussies!

  5. #5
    Joel. Agree completely with your point. The statement I made was simply what I tell my buddy with SLS Black series and Porsche turbo s that has no driving skills.

  6. #6
    Interesting but with some questions:

    Which transmission you are going to use?
    How much torque it can handle?
    Are you sure it will not cost more than $15k?

    Thanks,
    Khaleefa.

    Quote Originally Posted by XTREME SUPERCARS View Post
    I am toying with the idea of installing a 8 speed auto transmission with paddle shifters.
    The cost of doing this would run around $12K to $15K with all new parts.
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in having this done before I spend the money on R&D to do this to one of my cars.
    Thanks
    Wayne

  7. #7
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,344
    I think it's a great idea.....would love to hear more about what trans and the interface to the rest of the car. There would definitely be a market.

  8. #8
    I say do it and be the first. Be a trend-setter...

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tysons Corner, VA
    Posts
    4,672
    Would be a great option but I wouldn't be in the market for it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Y'orange_UAE View Post
    Interesting but with some questions:

    Which transmission you are going to use?
    How much torque it can handle?
    Are you sure it will not cost more than $15k?

    Thanks,
    Khaleefa.
    I am looking at the 8L90 that is in the new ZO6 with a stand alone controller
    It will handle the torque and shifts really impressive all the dodge ones are way to big
    The cost should not exceed 12-15K depending on how many I do
    I am a stick driver myself the only automatics I own are trucks and I have over 30 cars
    I just know I can do it and thought it might be interesting
    Thanks
    Wayne
    XTREMESUPERCARS.COM
    .

  11. #11
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    111
    What do you suppose the weight difference would be ?
    2016 GTC TA Stryker Red Clone - 9.0L / H & C by Woodhouse - Thanks Bill & Mark !

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by XTREME SUPERCARS View Post
    I am looking at the 8L90 that is in the new ZO6 with a stand alone controller
    It will handle the torque and shifts really impressive all the dodge ones are way to big
    The cost should not exceed 12-15K depending on how many I do
    I am a stick driver myself the only automatics I own are trucks and I have over 30 cars
    I just know I can do it and thought it might be interesting
    Thanks
    Wayne
    That unit is a rear mount. Not a trans axel, but a rear mount. Are you planning on mounting it at the rear in front of the differential?

  13. #13
    Well, the problem with the question Wayne is that most of the people in the Gen V section already own a Gen V. The question might better be posted in the Gen IV section where those people might be wanting to upgrade to a Gen V. The real place to ask would be the rest of the US for those who want a Viper but can't drive a stick or prefer an Automatic. If you could ask your question at a place like Corvetteforum then you might find more interest. There are more A8s being sold than M7s. Although in the article, Tadge isn't really clear about the number because he states 60% A8 and then 70% M7. Unless he is comparing Coupe and Convertible Z06 numbers.

    http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03/...rvette-orders/

    Either way, I think that if you build it, they will come. That is if the word gets out.

    Great to see you doing this for the Viper community.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor View Post
    That unit is a rear mount. Not a trans axel, but a rear mount. Are you planning on mounting it at the rear in front of the differential?
    The 8L90 can be mounted anyway one sees fit. It is the same tranny used in the GM trucks as well as the CTS V.

    Great idea Wayne.

  15. #15
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Coloviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    1,870
    Wayne, if you put something together and it is clean, structured and modular in the approach, I think you will be very surprised with just how much real interest there will be. I would not even worry if it is a Chrysler, GM, Ford or other tranny out of the parts bin to make it work. As long as bolt on only with no cutting, hacking, etc, that is the key to people buying into it.

    I think it is a great idea. Despite my desire and enjoyment/preference of a manual, my wife just has zero interest in even learning to drive a manual but she loves to drive but only drive an auto. I have to respect that so if we want another Viper in the family fold, it is going to have to have paddles.

    My only advice is chat with Viper Exchange as they seem to be filling all the wish list configurations for all new owners. In reality with all their performance options and body mods, the tranny change is the last option they have left. I would be very surprised if they were not working on something right now.
    1996 Viper RT/10 #96-0132, 1 of 231 96' RTs (Black w/SS)

  16. #16
    8 speed auto transmission in a Medusa convertible would make for an expensive Viper but it would be the only Gen V I would buy. Glad to see enterprising people think outside the box and act on it.

  17. #17
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Track Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    635
    Personally, I enjoy the manual, but having had 3 knee surgeries on my left and one on my right, I could see a day in the future that I would need to switch to a different make for the auto. There must be 100s of people out there (either former Viper owners who've switched or maybe potential buyers who have shyed away because of this). Last Viper mag issue comes to mind with the awesome owner who wrecked the Viper, lost his leg and made a full recovery (Praise God) to get back into a Viper... Kind of a miracle that he is back in a manual.... Knees, hips, ankles, hips.... None of us is getting any younger.. ha ha
    2017 1of1, TA2 group, red/white stripes. Previous: 2013 GTS, white w/ gunmetal stripes, 2013 SRT Track Pack, '08 coupe, '01 ACR, '02 FE GTS (#357 & #101)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Track Pack View Post
    Personally, I enjoy the manual, but having had 3 knee surgeries on my left and one on my right, I could see a day in the future that I would need to switch to a different make for the auto. There must be 100s of people out there (either former Viper owners who've switched or maybe potential buyers who have shyed away because of this). Last Viper mag issue comes to mind with the awesome owner who wrecked the Viper, lost his leg and made a full recovery (Praise God) to get back into a Viper... Kind of a miracle that he is back in a manual.... Knees, hips, ankles, hips.... None of us is getting any younger.. ha ha
    ^^^ This! ^^^

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by drueherl View Post
    Paddles are for pussies!
    So all Formula 1 racers are pussies?

    Brilliant Logic!

  20. #20
    Beth Sewell
    VOA National President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston
    Herrsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    854
    Be sure to check in with Viper Exchange - they have exactly what you're talking about doing in their R&D department - probably about a year out.
    '08 Venom Red Roadster with ACR aero
    '08 Black with graphite stripe ACRX clone - gone to the great race track in the sky
    '10 White ACRX #18
    '14 White Medusa #1 of 10 w/ ViperExchange Dynamic Suspension

  21. #21
    Kurt Robinson
    VOA National Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Central Texas
    TexasTonka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    641
    With the gearing of the GenV an 8spd would be great. I'm turning approx 3k rpm cruising at 100mph. Really miss my G4 overdrive 6th gear having 1800rpm at 100mph.
    My SRT 'family': 2015 Y'Orange TA2.0 #001, '09 ACR Hardcore Graphite, '05 Ram SRT10 Paxton SC'ed, '12 Ram 3500 SRT6 dually on 37's, '14 Jeep SRT, '10 Jeep SRT8, '09 Hennessey Venom 650R ACR (#01) R.I.P., '01 RT/10 Sapphire (sold), '96 Heffner Twin Turbo GTS (sold)


  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Vypr Phil View Post
    So all Formula 1 racers are pussies?

    Brilliant Logic!
    sure they are... not because of the paddles though!

  23. #23
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    RedTanRT/10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Dana Point
    Posts
    1,262
    Wayne, sounds like you've got a great plan. I'd suggest you talk to Arrow and Viper Exchange and see where they are at, and, maybe share in the development etc.

    At that price point I think you'd have a fairly limited market, at closer to $5K you'd get a number of hand raisers, but sure you can't get close even with hundred's of units. Look at that Medusa convertible for a compassion, lot's of folks saying great idea, but sales languish.

    I've always thought we won't see a G5 convertible unit they can build an automatic, that combo will sell lot's of vipers. Best wishes and good luck!! Mike

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonabite View Post
    The 8L90 can be mounted anyway one sees fit. It is the same tranny used in the GM trucks as well as the CTS V.

    Great idea Wayne.
    I haven't checked recently but there usually is a trans case difference for various applications.

    Wayne, you might want to look at the ZF trans that is used in the Hellcat applications. With the variety of vehicles including the now rumored Jeep installation the ZF might have exactly what you want. I'm not so sure about the associated SW.

    The problem here is going to be cost due to lack of volume and lack of factory blessing and warranty. The AT and vert need to be factory offerings to get this off the ground.

    IMO, if they were factory offerings, the AT would out sell the manual and the vert would outsell the coupe. The largest Viper sales would be an AT vert.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by acrvprc View Post
    Wayne, sounds like you've got a great plan. I'd suggest you talk to Arrow and Viper Exchange and see where they are at, and, maybe share in the development etc.

    At that price point I think you'd have a fairly limited market, at closer to $5K you'd get a number of hand raisers, but sure you can't get close even with hundred's of units. Look at that Medusa convertible for a compassion, lot's of folks saying great idea, but sales languish.

    I've always thought we won't see a G5 convertible unit they can build an automatic, that combo will sell lot's of vipers. Best wishes and good luck!! Mike
    Unfortunately 5K wont even get you all the parts you need to complete the job.

    Tranny
    Torque converter
    Custom Bellhousing adapter plate
    Custom Flexplate
    Custom DSS driveshaft
    TCU and wiring harness
    Tranny cooler and lines
    Custom interior work for a professional "factory like" look

    Labor of course and what ever else I may have left off the list. Easily putting you in the 10K and up area.


 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •