Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back up camera

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
    the question is if the car didn't come with the camera does it have the inputs in the back of the head unit?
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Success!

I had the backup camera installed over this past weekend. It's not 100% plug and play yourself, you will need to involve your dealer to get the camera to be recognized by the software. But the most important thing is that all the attachment points on the inside of the tail light panel and wiring already exist. You'll need to cut the hole for the camera through the tail light panel and the dealer will need to set something in the software so the camera is recognized as an accessory. After that everything works perfect including the lines that move to show you the direction you are backing up. I had the tail light panel painted black at the same time so I had a body shop install the camera too, but if you are comfortable with a dremel then attaching the camera is something you could do in your garage. And setting the software at the dealer only took a half hour of work.

Part Numbers:
    Camera - 56038978AG
    Bracket - 68141070AA
    2014 White Viper TA #9: Arrow PCM, AR Headers, UDP
    2019 White Trackhawk

Enthusiast
    Excellent to know...thanks for posting!!!

Just a suggestion, but, the moderators should save threads like this in a "How To" section.

Threads such as this have value to the viper communi
    ty and should be put into a special section once the thread gets near the end

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Success!

I had the backup camera installed over this past weekend. It's not 100% plug and play yourself, you will need to involve your dealer to get the camera to be recognized by the software. But the most important thing is that all the attachment points on the inside of the tail light panel and wiring already exist. You'll need to cut the hole for the camera through the tail light panel and the dealer will need to set something in the software so the camera is recognized as an accessory. After that everything works perfect including the lines that move to show you the direction you are backing up. I had the tail light panel painted black at the same time so I had a body shop install the camera too, but if you are comfortable with a dremel then attaching the camera is something you could do in your garage. And setting the software at the dealer only took a half hour of work.

Part Numbers:
    Camera - 56038978AG
    Bracket - 68141070AA

Enthusiast
    It is annoying the dealers have to "enable" the software. Same goes for if you upgrade the sound system.
    2015 Silver SRT (Sold)
    2013 White SRT + Corsa Exhaust (Sold)

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
    The question is if the car didn't come with the camera does it have the inputs in the back of the head unit?

Enthusiast
    I just got a call from the car dealer I just purchased the car from and told me the Dodge dealer who is I stalling the camera said that after disassembling the rear that there is No Wire present for the camera. WTF!
    Is it possible this car is an early build and didn't come with the wire?
    Shouldn't the back up wire be in the same harness as the taillights?
    It's a 2013 SRT track pack.
    Last edited by Cpl; 03-20-2018 at 12:47 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl View Post
    I just got a call from the car dealer I just purchased the car from and told me the Dodge dealer who is I stalling the camera said that after disassembling the rear that there is No Wire present for the camera. WTF!
    Is it possible this car is an early build and didn't come with the wire?
    Shouldn't the back up wire be in the same harness as the taillights?
    It's a 2013 SRT track pack.
    That's weird. Didn't early GTS's come with the camera? I can't believe that SRT would have a separate wire harness for non-camera cars, cheaper to just install the same one with the extra wires. My bet is that the wire is there somewhere but buried.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    I’d go take a look yourself and have them show you the harness where the wires don’t exist. My 13 was an early build and it had it, there’s no way yours is different.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT
    We had a similar issue with Charger's. Most if not all 2013+ Chargers had the wiring present for backup cameras but the placement of the wire could vary. Most of them the wiring was ran right to where the camera was, some just to the beginning of the trunk lid and some who knows. People thought maybe theirs didn't get it to only find the wiring plugged into the back of the head unit and who knows where it was left. My SRT charger is one of those where the wiring is plugged into the back of the head unit, but no where to be found in the trunk area of the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if occasionally a factory worker didn't run the wire all the way, and it's somewhere else, in that case just have the dealer run the new wire assuming it comes as a kit with instructions like it does for Challengers/Chargers

Enthusiast
    Unfortunately I was at work and could not make it out there.

You know that saying," If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself".
    I was going to take her apart anyways when I get the carbon rear applique. If I do end up finding it, I'll make them sync the new part for free.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT
    I'll make them sync the new part for free.
    better chance of the viper coming back

Enthusiast
    Really shitty of Dodge to not include this on a 2013 $100k+ car.

Enthusiast
    So i installed my backup camera along with the carbon surround and low and behold, the wiring was there.

Anyways , I call the best out of three rated dealer in my area to make an appointment to sync the new part. I ask how long does it take and how much. I was quoted a couple hours and $200. WHAT THE HAIL!!!!! Is the equipment running on dial up modem speeds.Its supposed to take a half hours work. Going to call back and possibly cancel.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to add it, doubt I will cause I don't ever trust it in my other cars! I'm always double checking when I back up anyways JUST in case!
    13' SRT Viper, 00' RT/10 Viper, 18' LS500 Lexus, 15' RCF Lexus, 08' H2 Hummer

Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either???

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    Wow the backup camera wasn't a standard feature on a 90k car??
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT

Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either???

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Where did you find the wiring because my dealer is saying they can’t find my wiring either
    Is the mechanic unfamiliar with this area of the Gen 5 such that he doesn't know where the pigtail is on a GTS? If the harnesses are built the same as some people have posted, then a photo showing the location on a GTS might help. LuisV posted some photos of that area on his 2013 GTS, I think. See the third photo in post 3 of the following thread. The camera is in the upper middle of the photo and shows where that pigtail and others separate from the harness. That might help them find the camera pigtail if it is tucked away or wrapped such that it is not obvious.
    https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post352264
    Jim

They said they looked everywhere in the back and it’s not there.
    I emailed him the pics you linked to see if that helps them.
    I’m worried they’re going to have to run the wire from radio to camera.

Heh...I'm getting ready to add a backup camera to my Gen 4. Mine will be a bit more involved since no Gen 4s ever came with a backup camera...I get to run my own wiring instead
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPete View Post
    Wow the backup camera wasn't a standard feature on a 90k car??
    2013 was an option on SRT cars - my car doesn't have it. Having one on my Ram, I wish my Viper.

2014 became standard on all, I think.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Enthusiast
    I have a 2013 srt trackpack. I installed my camera when I bought a carbon rear applique. The wiring is there. Once installed have dealer activate it.

That’s the problem is they can’t find it but I forwarded what you said to them from the other thread about where it’s at.

I have a 2013 srt trackpack. I installed my camera when I bought a carbon rear applique. The wiring is there. Once installed have dealer activate it.
    We have the same car! Lightest of the Gen 5s. At least we have that going for us...!
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast