Home Forums Gen I / Gen II To supercharge or not to supercharge? Reply To: To supercharge or not to supercharge?

Brent Barr

Truthfully, it comes down to where you live or how far you’re willing to ship your car. Not changing the exhaust is going to rob you 30-60 whp. It is difficult to come across Roe kits anymore. My advice would be the Paxton. It seems that the Paxton cars have less cooling issues compared to Roe cars. Either way I would highly recommend a watermeth kit as well. Regardless you run the risk of snapping the crank pulley. If you do decide to supercharge it do not throw on a DLM tensioner. Out of the 3 snapped cranks on supercharged cars that I have seen in the last year, I believe all three ran that tensioner. The other thing is the tuning. A lot of people do remote tuning, I can say that it costs more and it never seems like you get the same drivability that you would if you had the car tuned in person at a shop. I have two Paxton cars myself. The Paxton with the stock bypass valve is depressingly quiet, which sounds perfect for what you’re looking for. I upgraded mine to the Vortech Max Flow Race BOV so I could actually hear the supercharger.