Home Forums Gen I / Gen II 3D printing and Free Markets are killing “unobtanium” hoarder pricing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

First it was RT/10 door stanchion covers, now G-1&2 headlight lenses. What’s next – foglight covers, or maybe Green Doohickeys?

Kudos to everyone trying to fill the gap that Chrysler has abandoned by choice. May the best products and pricing win! In the end, we’re all winners because of them.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo ofDeanWordGTS Dean.
    • Steve Fess

Right on, Dean !!

In fact, a friend sent two of the “Green Doohickies” to me a couple of months ago. They were 3D printed…and looked good.

• Brent Barr

I truly hope lenses become a reality. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out in the next few months. So grateful for all these guys attempting to do this. Plan on getting myself some RRC stanchions for my RT/10’s this year.

• Kelly Burch

The 3d printed lenses aren’t suitable for outside use for a lot of reasons especially since they are transparent. They would never survive the outside climates and are only used for prototyping. You can use 3d printing for outside parts but not if you want to be able to see through them. They need more structure etc.

My reproduction lenses are made from plastic injection molding and will be made exactly like the factory made them. I’m the only one using this method to reproduce the lenses, other methods are cheap and won’t be near the quality and fit and finish as plastic injection. You get what you pay for. Either kit car quality, or OEM quality.

• Brent Barr

The only potential issue I can foresee with the whole lenses thing is the removal/installation process. There are going to be a lot of people who destroy their housings or new lenses trying to remove/install the new ones. I would say if you offer that as a service with selling the new lenses that would help. However it takes one person to claim you ruined their headlights, whether its damaged in shipping or they just don’t end up sealing correctly and that can start a downward spiral effect. I am very interested to see how things go with everything and even more grateful that someone is finally doing this.

• Kelly Burch

I understand that completely. I don’t see this being much different that any other part that anyone can buy. Not everyone is a DIY’er, or should try to do it themselves. I’m not a mechanic by any means, but there are some things I can do on my own. But when it comes down to tearing into a block or doing internal things, I’ll leave that to someone else. 😉

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.