Home Forums Gen V Air Dams in Front of Tires

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

68047956ABWhen I bought my car it was missing the air dams in front of the front wheels. Not broken off, just missing completely.
      Bought these, p/n 68047956AB (QTY 1 gets you both sides and some long piece which I don’t know where it goes), and put them on the other day.

Leaving my driveway, scrape. Got gas, left station, scrape.

Took them back off next day. Previous owner had it right haha. Car is lowered with caps which didn’t help.

• ViperGeorge

If memory serves the air dams were only supposed to be put on non-aero cars.  Cars with aero were not supposed to get them.  However, the factory made lots of mistakes on this.  At least I think that was the case.

• Profile photo ofShawn HawalkaHootie

Yea I believe that is correct. I have a no aero GTS so it should have had them, hence I put them on. But they lasted one cruise. I think based on the fact there were no broken pieces, screws were tight and flush, they were either never installed at factory or removed by previous owner.
      For factory oopsies, I am also in the group of many 13’s that shipped without the rear brake duct hose ends. I’ve since added those as well without issue. Much nicer than a bare hose hanging in my wheel well.

• ViperGeorge

Yea, you got to wonder how things like missing air dams or missing brake hose ends make it through quality control.

• Bill Shults

I recall reading some time age that when the 2013 were being built the rear brake hose ends were not available due to no parts. The air dams are on my 2013 that was purchased new. I do not believe this to be a quality control thing, but then again who really knows for sure.

• ViperGeorge

I sent my TA calipers to Racing Brakes to have them rebuilt using their high temp seals and such.  They told me that I had 3 front calipers and 1 rear.  They said they had no other Viper calipers in their shop so there was no mix up.  In addition, TA calipers are gray anodized, most other Viper calipers are red.  Now how does it happen that my car did not get 2 fronts and 2 rears?

• Profile photo ofBrian HoldingVENOM-TA

That part number you have is for a 2008-2010 Viper..

• Graham Henckel

The aero bits you are referring to do not meaningfully contribute to aero performance in any downforce way, but they do shave off a few counts of drag, which helps the fuel mileage rating just that little bit.  They’re not really attractive, and can scrape themselves to bits, especially if you’ve lowered ride height on your car or have a steep driveway entrance.

The other comment (I’m sure in reference to early 2013MY) was also correct, that Conner Ave did ship some early cars without rear brake duct nozzles.  There was a shortage of those parts, and also some question about how effective/necessary they really were, as it was believed that the positive pressure coming from the bodyside scoop would pressurize the rear wheel opening and help push the hot air out… but that was never actually tested or known.   In fairness, I recall that Engineering agreed to let Conner ship those cars shy those end fittings ‘as is’.

• Profile photo ofSteve FessSteve-Indy

Slight hijack:

The missing rear brake duct nozzles for 2013 Vipers that Graham referenced above were readily available by the time the 2014 Vipers arrived.

Here were the part numbers and prices at that time:

5043043AB SOP Duct-Brake $41.90
      5043042AB SOP Duct-Brake $41.90

Sorry, but I don’t recall which is right vs. left.

Concur with Steve’s p/n’s above. I was missing these as well, bought them back in 2021 and installed them. FYI you will also need some plastic push type clips to secure them that don’t come with the parts. I believe it was 1/4” holes but not 100% sure.
      5043042AB is the right side. 5043043AB is the left side.  And they were cheaper in 2021 😀

• Profile photo ofSteve FessSteve-Indy

Thanks for the update, Hootie!!

• Graham Henckel

FYI:  in Chrysler part number nomenclature, with handed parts, the ‘even’ number is the right side part, the odd number is the left side part.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.