Home Forums Gen I / Gen II Gen 1 Oil Change

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I belong to a few groups about Vipers and opinions on what oil filter and what oil to use vary. I would like to do my first oil change on my 1994 Gen 1 but want to make sure I get the right filter and oil back into the car. Thoughts?

Thank you

Trevor

• Tom

I have always used the Mopar white Viper oil filter on my 1995 which I bought new in 1995. So that’s a long time. No problems. Oil:I have used whatever what was current for the Viper/SRT vehicles. I started with the Mobil 1 10w-30 back in 1995. Right now I am using the 5w-40 Pennzoil Platinum Euro and I plan to stick with that. I send a sample of oil for an oil analysis after every oil change. The engine shows no wear at 12,000 miles. So this combo has worked for me.

• Trevor Shand

How do I find the Mopar White Oil Filter. I went onto the Mopar parts site and they only let me look up cars since 2000. Is there a part number you might have or a place to buy one?

Thank you

• Steve Fess

Trevor, as Vipers were becoming a little more common at track events in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s  there were some reports of oil filter issues…including with the Mopar 204 Mobil 204 which was sold as a Mopar performance product. The engineers who designed your engine decided that Vipers needed a more robust can and they came up with their own specs which changes based on the startup pressures these motors produce…as I recall said event.

The “White filter” you reference needs further definition since there are two “white” Viper oil filters.

For Gen I, II, and III Vipers the correct, Viper engineer recommended Mopar part number 05037836AB.  This covers all Vipers from 1992 through 2006.  NOTE: In your quest for this filter, be sure NOT to use the AA earlier version of this filter. The later AB version has a needed internal change.

Any CJDR dealership either has or can order this filter for you…somewhere around $15-20 apiece.

• Lawrence Laney

I have used the mobil 1 filter with no issue when i couldnt find the white ones..

• Kathy Hamman

Owners’ manual says 10w-30. Use Mobil 1. You may have trouble getting the filter out. Jack it up a bit.

• Profile photo ofDeanWordGTS Dean

I ran Exxon 20W50 in my 93 – summer, or winter – street, or track. I always ran a Mopar filter. I still have 3 NOS filters if anyone is interested.

• Profile photo ofVenomousBill W
    • Lawrence Laney

amsoil offers a filter for the gen 1 now as well i run it and amsoil ss 10w30

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.